Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CM40 Feed ramp vs. follower

Smile CM40 Feed ramp vs. follower

Got my CM 40 a few weeks back. Went to the range and shot 110 rounds. 100 Independence FMJ, 5 Buffalo Bore and 5 Liberty. Broke 2 followers. Received 2 followers from Kahr. Next visit to the range while rotating 4 mags, 2 followers broken in 100 rounds. Contacted Kahr again they said they would send a RMA if I liked. I told them no just send the followers.
    I work in machine shop and have been around precision mechanical assemblies for 35 years so surely this smells like an interference problem.
    Locking the slide back and putting a small strip of paper down the feed ramp I put in an empty mag. I could not remove the paper shim without resistance. Ah Ha !! Feed ramp is slamming the follower after last round ( the only time the follower is exposed ). This may not be for everyone but a stoned the bottom of the feed ramp with a Dremel, then some 600 paper then polished only that spot where I ground with a felt wheel and some jewelers rouge. Took Prussian blue and applied to the feed ramp and put in a empty mag. Still had a little interference so I repeated the process until no Prussian blue transferred onto the follower. Put 100 rounds through today without a hiccup using the same mag all the way and NO BROKEN FOLLOWER. Problem goes away.
    Now I'll add some Talon grips and my summer EDC is ready !!!!

Well done.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

that is exactly what kahr would have done, so u knowledge and skills saved alot of time on ur part. U did a nice job. they do have a clearance issue on some of their kahrs, I think they are gettingtote bottom of this issue to, for we see far less than 6 months ago.. I had seemed even more prevelant in the kahr 40's thab most utter models. I attribute that to the violent explosion of the 40 cal round in the gun and it seems things just get a tad out of whack beyond design. Just my 21 cents on this..

again nice work, welcome tothe forum. sounds like u might be able to enhance our forum even... where u moded the feed ramp a round never gets that low in the first place..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

well done! so bigdave, I hear you are volunteering to be the forum gunsmith...

Welcome
    ​O|||||||O

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the compliments. Maybe I save some others a headache.
    B4uqzme, I'll answer an questions if I can, but if I'm gonna start smithing I 've got to make a few bucks
    Jocko, That's also one of the things I checked. When you see where the round actually meets the ramp it's not so hard to grind down the high spot

Thumbs up Feed ramp mod update

105 rounds through today. 100 FMJ and 5 Gold Dots. This gun eats anything. Really smoothing out. Trigger, slide, springs all wearing in nicely.
    First and foremost, NO BROKEN FOLLOWERS !! My ramp job working perfectly. Finally getting used to the trigger. A lot more hits up in the zone today even at 30 ft.
    Liking this gun more each time out.
    400+ rounds through this gun

Pics?
    "Never pet a burning dog"

bigdave, were your followers breaking off the front guide leg? I tried a new 9mm 7 round mag and the front leg of the follower broke off.

Thanks

that usually where they break off, the feed ramp is hitting it... I would try one more new follower and if it breaks, then get ahold of kahr attn: Jay and ask them to pick it up. I have over 32K rounds out of my PMJ9 and have had one broken follower. Had it continued I would have sent it back but it stopped so enough of the gun has changed from break-in or what ever to now not be an issue..
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Not a new problem and one that Kahr has known about for a long time. I have to wonder why Kahr is allowing it to continue.