CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: +P Ammo in a CM40... Can it take it ?

Default +P Ammo in a CM40... Can it take it ?

Does anyone use +P as carry ammo ? If so, what do you recommend ?

Dang! That would be quite a handful! I have two .40's... the Mag-na-ported P40 and compensated Glock 23C. I find regular full-power ammo to be quite enough. I prefer the Speer 180-grain Short Barrel Gold Dots... kind of the .40 equivalent of the "flying ashtrays", or the Bonded Remington 180-grain Golden Sabers. The boxes have a golden "Bonded" scroll emblem and are bonded bullets, not the BJHP regular Sabers which some mistake for bonded. The BJHP stands for Brass-Jacketed Hollow Points.

I cut the Bonded box to make smaller 25-round boxes for the 50-round boxes that the Bonded Remington comes in.

My pix and explanation:

http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.p...nded+Remington

I found my pix from that shipment received... below.

I would save .40 +P for carbine use! Underwood makes a lot, but they don't usually have any in stock these days.

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by wyntrout; 06-14-2013 at 10:43 AM.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

IMO ur gonna get a better selection of great defense ammo in just 40 cal. U dn't see alot of +P 40 out there, as the damn caliber is a pocket cannon anyhow.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I've never seen +P ammo in .40. It's pretty hot already. I use Winchester Ranger 155gr. I picked up a case back when it could be had pretty cheap at the gun shows.
    They aren't the T series, but I think they should do the job. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the premium loads for it, HST, Hydra Shok, Gold Dot, Golden Sabre, Rangers, I like the bullets in the 155-165 range. They seem to have the most muzzle energy, over the 180gr, but the 180gr, will penetrate barriers better. I'd use whatever performed best from my gun.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

I just went to the range yesterday... first time in maybe two months! I took the .40's... Mag-na-ported P40 and compensated Glock 23C. I'm still trying to figure out how to shoot those danged Big Dot NS! I may wind up taking those suckers off! I shot my G23C with the orange FS Trijicon HD NS and it was a dream... with double taps, too. The P40 not so much. This was my third trip to the range with the Big Dots and I used a rest for comparisons. I still shoot way low with the Big Dots and even taking my time and squeezing the trigger I hit low most often. I have no confidence with it and have been carrying my P9 with the ported barrel and the fading Novak NS. (I may get those re-lamped at Trijicon soon.) I wish that the G23C were a smidgen easier to CC for me! I like the ported .40's for carry.

I know the theory and how to aim with the BD's, but application and snap shooting just aren't working for me! It's just not instinctual. I'll try the LaserLyte LT-40 some more and maybe one more try at the range for the BD's. I want to carry the P40 and the sights just don't give me any good feelings!

Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

TMan. no doubt some maker offers as +P 40 cal. there are just some who think +++ is the way to go. I can't imagine it in a polymer kahr or for that matter any polymer semi. There ai't alot of +P in 40 offered though, ur right on that mark.

Wyn. maybe ur expecting to muych for the xs sights. they are what they are a very close up faster acquisistion sight. Could be that P40 as light as it is and even ported is just a hand cannon. I have no doubt u can keep allshots at 7 yards in the FBI style silhouette, so for me I would say BG is in deep ****. I am not good with doubletaps. I think I have to be fast and when I rush it that second shot could go damn near anywhere. I tell myselff slow down make the second shot at least in that FBI silohouette somewhere. Fastis good if u can do it, slow is better if u cannot. I realy don't loose alot of sleep over that one way or the utter either. I don 't realy work at it alot either or I might get better and faster but I carry 24/7 and I try not to tget to ovber paranoid other than that..

semper vulgare.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I do not think that SAAMI has a specification for +P .40S&W ammo, however as others have mentioned there are some companies that make it. I know in the Glocks and some other firearms that chamber in .40S&W that they do not have fully supported chambers so they are more prone to KABOOMS, so I would definately not recommend +P in these guns. As for the Kahrs does anyone know if they are fully supported in the chamber or if they are not ?? If not then definately also do not use +P. God Bless

A CM40 already eats your hand if you don't have a rubber slip grip installed. Why tempt fate? In a personal defense situation there are not too many people in the world who would not be stopped by a facefull of 6 rounds of ANY .40, even FMJ.

Quote Originally Posted by VBVAGUY View Post
    I do not think that SAAMI has a specification for +P .40S&W ammo, however as others have mentioned there are some companies that make it. I know in the Glocks and some other firearms that chamber in .40S&W that they do not have fully supported chambers so they are more prone to KABOOMS, so I would definately not recommend +P in these guns. As for the Kahrs does anyone know if they are fully supported in the chamber or if they are not ?? If not then definately also do not use +P. God Bless
    I think SAAMI has specs for +P, it's the +P+ that's no mans land. I know that's the case on most other calibers, fairly certain it's the same with 40.

I'd have no use for it myself. Standard 40 is plenty.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I was shooting some Prvi Partizan... Serbian ammo... PPU 180-gr TMJ mainly... 200 rounds and 42 rounds of Blazer Aluminum-cased 165-gr FMJ... and then a box of AAA 180-gr TCJ in the .40's.

I started with the PPU since it was the weakest stuff I've found for .40. When I started shooting the Blazer and later the AAA, it was like going to magnum loads... BIG difference! I still have half a case of PPU left and it's okay for the range, but definitely not what I would call full powered.

I will stay away from +P .40, but Underwood makes a bunch of loads... all of their .40 seems to be +P, but good luck finding it in stock. If'n I get a Mech Tech CCU I might try that. I wonder how it would perform in a 16" or so barrel. Most handgun ammo runs out of steam and actually slows down in the last few inches of the 16" barrels. You can see this at Ballistics by the Inch:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/40sw.html

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and