Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm shopping for a 1911. Any help?

Question I'm shopping for a 1911. Any help?

Afternoon all.

I am looking for a new 1911 & would like some input, feedback, help etc....

I will be used 90% as my range gun & I would like the following:
    Full size (5")
    9mm
    $500-$800
    the better looking style (skeleton trigger etc)
    Black, steel, etc does not matter

Now this is the hard bit, I also need ideas AND somewhere that has it in stock.

So far i have been looking at the Rock Island, Citadel, STI Spartan V (which I really like), Taurus PT1911, Magnum Research (if it were 9mm), Ruger SR1911 etc

I may go for a 45ACP if the deal is super sweet.

Also, I hear the Wilson mags are the ones to get, any others that are pretty good & not $45+

Any thought or feedback would be great. Also links to places that have them in stock.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MrBret View Post
    Afternoon all.

I am looking for a new 1911 & would like some input, feedback, help etc....

I will be used 90% as my range gun & I would like the following:
    Full size (5")
    9mm
    $500-$800
    the better looking style (skeleton trigger etc)
    Black, steel, etc does not matter

Now this is the hard bit, I also need ideas AND somewhere that has it in stock.

So far i have been looking at the Rock Island, Citadel, STI Spartan V (which I really like), Taurus PT1911, Magnum Research (if it were 9mm), Ruger SR1911 etc

I may go for a 45ACP if the deal is super sweet.

Also, I hear the Wilson mags are the ones to get, any others that are pretty good & not $45+

Any thought or feedback would be great. Also links to places that have them in stock.

Thanks
    No help on 1911's in that price range for new. Other than I'd not go for any you mentioned....again, no help.

Wrt mags, however, I long ago chose not to cheap out nor experiment further and buy nothing but Wilson. There be no need to pay $45. They go for low to mid-$30. The last few I bought cost me $29.95 shipped. That was last month.
    NRA Benefactor

My Girsan is pretty sweet and below your price range. Check Bud's.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

I don't know about in your location, but a LGS here has a new Springfield Range Officer (45) for $745.00. Not one that you mentioned; but one certainly to be considered. If you are stuck on the 9mm, the Rock Island is a good choice and can be had for around $465.00 here when in stock.

You're gonna get what you pay for. If I were you I'd put that money down on a nicer pistol. Most places have layaway. If you're willing to spend 800, put that down on a nice 1911. Kimbers are nice. Tight tolerances though. Remington makes an Enhanced 1911 with a skeletonized adjustable trigger and a tactical look. Its a 45 though. Run you around 900-1000. I have a Remington R1 Centennial that ran me 1200. Some guys talk **** about their lower end model R1 and there is a noticeable difference in quality. But I preferred a "close to mil spec" 1911 without all the fancy new age features. My grandfather had a Military Remington 1911 and so its kind of nostalgic. Loose tolerances on the Rem. Room for grease. No break in period. Ready to rock out of the box. Never a single stovepipe. Around a 1000 rounds through it so far. Springfield EMP is a very nice 9mm 1911 frame pistol. Not full size though. Why not get a Beretta or a CZ? Those can be had in your price range. Full size, with high cap mags. Shoot, the CZ Duty has a 19+1 capacity I do believe. What is the reason you want a 9mm 1911? Cheaper ammo?

Look at a Sig 1911. I don't have one but I can't see where you could go wrong. For $800 you can get a reliable nice 1911.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

I am going to piss a lot of guys off BUT. If you are talkin 1911, it must be a .45ACP AND American made. Finally, it must have a set of Bawanna's handles. End of story.

I am a retard though. See my recent post. Retard Shoots 1911.

It does not have to be one of the makes I listed, they ate just ones I've been looking at so far and from what I've seen have mostly good reviews.
    I do want a full size 1911 as I already have CW9 as a carry gun & have sold my XD9 sub compact so full size is a must for me now. I had been looking at an Springfield XDM9 but if I can get a good 1911 for the same kind of money then why not.

I know next to nothing about 9mm 1911's. I didn't even know Wilson made mags for them but I guess that shouldn't be a surprise.

I do like the looks of Gregs RIA Tactical, it has all the right stuff.

I can see where sticking with the same caliber for ammo inventory would be a good thing, pretty much my thinking except I go 45.

I surely don't blame you for hankering for a 1911.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Preice really means quality here. There are plenty of "cheap" 1911's but the sweetness of the low price will be forgotten in the woes of troubles some can cause.

Kimber has some very nice weapons a bit above your price range all the way up to skys the limit.

Get a Kimber.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up