Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: I'm shopping for a 1911. Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Finally got around to a photo session with the new Remington's. My son got me the R1 for Christmas and he got himself the R1 enhanced.

I already hung some zebra wood on mine but I'll do something else for it one of these days.

The stock grips aren't bad but a bit smooth. I could easily recut the checkering but I tend to like to leave original stuff original. I'll leave them in the box for posterity. The enhanced has some nice G10 or Micarta, nice agressive texture and pretty well done.

Enhanced came with 2 8 round mags with a plastic base plate and plastic follower, the R1 came with 2 7 rounders with no base plate and a metal follower. Mine will most likely never see anything but Wilson's anyhow.
    I was kind of wishing for the stainless version but the blue is actually growing on me rapidly. I like it alot. The trigger on my R1 is better to me than the enhanced although I suspect it will improve with use. The enhanced has a long trigger and the R1 has a short. I'm used to a long so getting accustomed to the short. Again, not bad, just different. I just cleaned and oiled them both so one of these days we're ready for a range visit.

They both have a little firing pin plunger lever that seems a bit hokey but I haven't sorted that out yet. Don't seem like a big deal just different.
    Darn, that's a nice, thoughtful Christmas present from your son Bawanna....you raised that one right
    I think your grips look excellent on it. The Remington Series 80 stuff is interchangeable with Colt Series 80 parts, but I can't tell much difference between the two. I look forward to reading your range report.

I finally got around to parkerizing a Colt 1991 that I found at a local pawn shop. I like how it came out enough that I did my OACP as welll. I have a 1991 compact top end for the OACP so I did that too. The 1991 Colts can be found at very reasonable prices and are well worth the money.

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Quote Originally Posted by gb6491 View Post
    I finally got around to parkerizing a Colt 1991 that I found at a local pawn shop. I like how it came out enough that I did my OACP as welll. I have a 1991 compact top end for the OACP so I did that too. The 1991 Colts can be found at very reasonable prices and are well worth the money.
    Bought my 1991A1 Commander new back in 1993 for $400...Still my favorite gun. Shoots well and trouble free.

My handy dandy inflation calculator app says $400 in 1991 is $684 today. You made a good investment compared to new prices!
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Default Spartan V Any Good?

I've been thinking of getting one myself and been reading this thread, I read where the STI Spartan has hand fitted slides, barrel and bushings for a decent price. Can anyone confirm these are good for the money and any other in the price range have the same hand fitted features? I heard good about Armscor and Rock Island too, same company?

Default I'm shopping for a 1911. Any help?

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    Finally got around to a photo session with the new Remington's...

I was kind of wishing for the stainless version but the blue is actually growing on me rapidly. I like it a lot.

Very nice Remington's there sir. I happened across a stainless R1 this evening while shopping for a scope base and thought of you.

I recently added a 1911 to my collection as well, a Dan Wesson Heritage. Haven't had time to take any proper pictures of her yet, but here is a crappy cell phone pic with the new grips my wife got me for Christmas...

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Molon Labe

I've got five 1911s and they are all Colts. The all work great. I wouldn't buy any other brand.

I have a kimber custom II that I love to shot. It has benn modified a bit with a hogue grip, a Ed brown stainless bushing, and a competition mainspring.
    The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Default Re: I'm shopping for a 1911. Any help?

Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

It seems that this has evolved into a "show me your 1911" thread and I am happy to oblige...

Note to OP: This is probably the least 1911ish mentioned in this thread but I like it a lot and current street price is about $300 below msrp.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    ​O|||||||O

BAWANNA,

I have a couple of Remington R-1's and both shoot great. Slide to frame fit is real close and very smooth. I am kinda fond of the standard shorter triggers and the standard grip safety doesn't bother me one bit.
    For an entry level 1911 and 100% US made (Remingtons) you can't go wrong and it would make a perfect base platform for any 1911 upgrade.
    Now for shoot-ability the Sig's are hard to beat and don't use any special captive double recoil springs to fool with.