Mitch Rosen   Magnum Research new   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: I'm shopping for a 1911. Any help?

I agree. I wanted the standard one, not the enhanced.

I have plans for a nice wide spur hammer for it which might actually be better with it being blued.

I prefer the longer trigger but I think I'll leave the standard short in this one just cause, at least for now.

I've yet to get out and shoot the thing, gotta get out there one of these days.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I currently do not own a full size 1911, but I have a Dan Wesson
    C-Bob, a Kimber Tatical Ultra II, a Ruger SR Commander, all in 45 in the price range you have set the Ruger SR full size gives you all of the features of a series 70 Colt at an affordable price. I would also check Kimbers base model.

C Bob's rock!

Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

They got a C-Bob on sale at our local shooting range. I'm trying to talk my brother-in-law into it. He's got more $$ than me.

He kept asking me if I was going to buy a 1911 and I wasn't really feeling it. Until recently that is. I bought a Sig 1911 and an older AOC Thompson. The Sig has a reputation for being quality while the AOC takes a bashing on the interwebs. For me, they both function and shoot great! Both are more accurate than I. I guess my point is: get whatever 1911 trips your trigger. They can all be made to run right with a little tweaking and that's half the fun. Customizing is the other half. 1911's remind me of Harleys (sorry Jocko). Old skool design that has been improved upon over the years and is still very popular today. Plus a culture that encourages changes and upgrades that make it truly your own.

Enjoy!

I need to buy another AO1911 just because I want to put a set of bone grips on it. Only a 1911 owner would understand.
    ​O|||||||O

Wow Colonel, those are some mighty sexy grips. What kind of wood is that? I've been thinking about putting a set of some Amboyna burls on my Kimber compact at some point. I've been to your web page a couple of times admiring your work and have considered contacting you to see what you might be able to come up with.

Those are stabilized Buckeye Burl. The guy I get wood from not as often as I'd like doesn't carry it much. He usually has Box Elder Burl that looks very similar. He dyes all different kind of colors. Haven't ordered any in quite a long time.

I wish the stuff wasn't so bloody expensive. I'd like to order a truck load so I have it on hand.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

My Rock Island Tactical 9mm had a better trigger out of the box then my Springfield Loaded did. Booth of them now around four pounds. The Rock Island has close to 2000 rounds through it without a glitch over the last two years. My EDC Springfield .45acp has close to 10,000 rounds through it in the last two and a half years and the only hiccups it ever had was my early reloads. Both are in your price range. I didn't read the entire thread but being a Kahr forum you might look at the Auto-Ordinance pistols. I think Colt may have something close in your price range as well. In teaching the CPL class here in Michigan I have fired every production 1911 mentioned and the only one I personally didn't care for was a Kimber.

Well i'm impressed with the 1911 Taurus...not other Taurus but the 1911's seem to work. I got rid of crappy hammer lock and smoothed out the trigger some.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I have a kimber custom II that has been a joy to shoot. Kimber also makes a nice 22 conversion kit which really makes practice cheaper than shooting .45 all the time. I will say that having everything smoothed out by a competent gunsmith is what really makes a1911 really shine.
    The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory.

Springfield TRP .45ACP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk