Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: How To "Detail Strip" the Kahr's Upper!

I detail stripped and cleaned my CW45 today. There was alot of brass and other metal flakes in the striker channel. I've only put around 100 rds through it so far, so the previous owner did a fair amount of shooting based on the amount of crud I got out of it. Noticeable difference once I was finished though.

Great write up! I plan to do this when I pick up my CW9 from my FFL. I bought a brand new M&P 9 and XD 9 subcompact and both of them needed to have the striker channels cleaned out. It was very surprising how much gunk was built up in there.

is there a good re-assembly video out?

just kidding i figured it out.

I have carefully studied the tutorial on how to disasemble the slide on my Kahr, when I insert even a significant punch into the half circle cutout to push the back extractor pin (27) to release the back cover plate (4) I cannot get it to move forward. Am I doing something wrong or should I use more force? I don't know how much pressure to apply and I don't want to hurt anything. How much movement is needed to release that plate? Conversely how difficult is it to put it back together? Thanks for your assist, T

The pin has to be pushed in quite a bit so the back plate is free to move down. Once the plate starts holding the pin in place, it's easier to pull the plate down... remembering to use your thumb to do that AND cover the release of the striker spring assembly AND the extractor/spring/backplate pin. Both of these spring "trains" can launch as the backplate slides downward. See my photos of the items in each assembly.
    Post#3 here:
    http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t...ht=strip+slide

Another small screwdriver can be used to start the backplate moving AFTER the retention pin is pushed in far enough... and whatever you used for that is NOT impeding the plates movement. Be careful with the screwdriver not to mar the finish, especially the DLC model.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by Too Tall Todd View Post
    I have carefully studied the tutorial on how to disasemble the slide on my Kahr, when I insert even a significant punch into the half circle cutout to push the back extractor pin (27) to release the back cover plate (4) I cannot get it to move forward. Am I doing something wrong or should I use more force? I don't know how much pressure to apply and I don't want to hurt anything. How much movement is needed to release that plate? Conversely how difficult is it to put it back together? Thanks for your assist, T
    I had to put quite a bit of pressure on the extractor pin, it takes a very small punch, I ended up using a pick. I had to use a very small screwdriver tip to put a little pressure downward to get the back plate to get started off.
    Once it started it was easy after that. Putting it back together was easy also. Take note of the order of the extractor chain. The first piece behind the extractor has to be oriented correctly, doubt it would go together any other way.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

You have to take the pressure off the backplate by compressing the striker spring assemble with the "C" clamp first..

Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I took some pictures of the back plate to show why you need a skinny strong tool like a jeweler's screwdriver to push the pin in to remove the plate. The tension from the striker spring on the plate must be removed first... best with the "C" clamp made from a coat hanger.

I had to delete half the photos to make this post, but here's the Photbucket link to the album with them all:

http://s1134.photobucket.com/albums/...0Back%20Plate/

With the striker spring restrained, take a very strong, small jeweler screwdriver and push in the pin on the right side, keeping the screwdriver as far to the right as possible, then the plate can be slid downwards and off, keeping your thumb over the pin to keep it from shooting out.
    When the pressure is removed from the extractor "train", the extractor can rotate a bit and fall out of the slide. Don't lose it!

Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

Thanks, Wynn! I have an idea for keeping the extractor from falling out: put a piece of tape over it.

I am going to tackle it again in a little while. Hopefully, with all of the help from you, Bawanna and everyone, I will be able to get that 5 lb striker spring installed.

Edit: as a matter of fact, some tape over that extractor pin after the back plate is removed will keep it from falling out.
    Very interesting...