Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
You might try having a sit down with the Chief or who ever the powers may be on your former dept. about changing the policy.
Go over LEOSA with them, explain to them that there is no liability on the dept. This seems to be a concern to many uninformed Chiefs/Dept's.
I had the same problem, except that my former dept. won't even issue a retirement Id to me when I retired. Chief said there was no requirement to do so. (We weren't drinking buddies)
Anyway to make a long story short, I spoke with the town council president several times. (Chief won't even answer my requests for an appointment). Provided him with info on LEOSA, showed him where others had been issued retirement Id's. He ended up telling me that it really was up to the Chief of Police. I got ahold of one of my clients who use to be a Federal prosecutor, he took the case and after getting the run around and BS answers he filed a Federal lawsuit against the Chief and Dept. About two weeks before it was going to go to court the case was settled out of court.
Do understand there is nothing in LEOSA that requires a dept. to issue a retirement ID.
I go qualify again in October. The Chief was replaced about six months after the case was settled.
Good luck.

Dogman please post the caption or the docket number that the suit was filed under or the law firm that handled the case ? Same problem, NJ chief handing out retirement creds to only the ones that meet his "standard". Thanks in advance ..