Xssights   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another HR 218 (LEOSA) Qual

Again, just me thinking out loud here. Your home state issues the same type of state Id/drivers license to everyone who has one. Why can't theycome up with and issue the same type of ID to anyone who qualifies and meets the requirements of LEOSA???

Because you can get a CCW virtually anywhere in the US IMHO just get your CCW and go on down the road. The decision to issue a retired ID should always rest with the agency.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    Because you can get a CCW virtually anywhere in the US IMHO just get your CCW and go on down the road. The decision to issue a retired ID should always rest with the agency.
    I travel to NJ from FL twice a year to visit with family there. I have a FL CCW as well as my HR 218 cert. NJ recognizes NO CCW permits from ANY states so, HR 218 is my only option there.

Not going to NJ is also not an option. I just returned after spending two weeks there and carried any time I felt it necessary.

As far as I know, I've been retired 16 years now, my former department only issues retired IDs to those who actually retire.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    As far as I know, I've been retired 16 years now, my former department only issues retired IDs to those who actually retire.
    True. If you resign one day short or retirement IMHO you are not entitled to retirement ID. You have to officially do a full career and retire to avail yourself of that privilege. On my dept if you do not officially retire under the definition set by the state pension board it is tough luck.

True. If you resign one day short or retirement IMHO you are not entitled to retirement ID. You have to officially do a full career and retire to avail yourself of that privilege. On my dept if you do not officially retire under the definition set by the state pension board it is tough luck.
    Exactly and that time period is 25 years in NJ for a full pension.

My former department once put out a "retired" list. That list included former members who chose to go onto other LE careers. They were NOT retired from the PD, they quit. It was later corrected to include only actual retirees.

We also had a couple on what we call the "rubber gun squad". They receive a medical pension from the State of NJ but they are not retirees.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Exactly and that time period is 25 years in NJ for a full pension.
    Here in OK aka the Sooner Nation a full career for retirement purposes is 20 years.

I do have my CCW permit, had it since I turned 21. I'll say this again, I asked if anyone here is going through the same issue as I am or knows someone who is also, and what was the outcome, if any. I am very aware of what LEOSA states, read it start to finish. I didn't have too many options when I separated from my agency. I was in need of major back surgery in 2009 and I'm still not doing fairly any better. And unfortunately my issues were not because of any injury in the line of duty, so I was SOL so to speak. I myself don't think I should have to go state to state to apply for CCW to cross state lines. I am aware of some states recognizing other states CCW. I just thing a little more though could have been applied when writing LEOSA so as to benefit all officers eligible.

Here in OK aka the Sooner Nation a full career for retirement purposes is 20 years.
    Retirement here in PA varies via your contract. With some departments its 20 years and age 50, while others are 25 years and age 50/55.

In OK it is a straight 20 years no matter your age. At 20 years it is 50% of your base salary, not including overtime calculated/averaged over your last 30 months of employment.

We also has a "Louisiana Plan" and Deferred Comp. If you are smart you can retire at or above 100% salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    You might try having a sit down with the Chief or who ever the powers may be on your former dept. about changing the policy.
    Go over LEOSA with them, explain to them that there is no liability on the dept. This seems to be a concern to many uninformed Chiefs/Dept's.
    I had the same problem, except that my former dept. won't even issue a retirement Id to me when I retired. Chief said there was no requirement to do so. (We weren't drinking buddies)
    Anyway to make a long story short, I spoke with the town council president several times. (Chief won't even answer my requests for an appointment). Provided him with info on LEOSA, showed him where others had been issued retirement Id's. He ended up telling me that it really was up to the Chief of Police. I got ahold of one of my clients who use to be a Federal prosecutor, he took the case and after getting the run around and BS answers he filed a Federal lawsuit against the Chief and Dept. About two weeks before it was going to go to court the case was settled out of court.
    Do understand there is nothing in LEOSA that requires a dept. to issue a retirement ID.
    I go qualify again in October. The Chief was replaced about six months after the case was settled.
    Good luck.

Dogman please post the caption or the docket number that the suit was filed under or the law firm that handled the case ? Same problem, NJ chief handing out retirement creds to only the ones that meet his "standard". Thanks in advance ..