Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another HR 218 (LEOSA) Qual

IMO, if you can't get your old agency to issue you a photo ID, you are unable to meet the requirements of HR 218.
    I'm not a lawyer but it seems quite simple to me.
    Good luck.

I am aware of the requirements for LEOSA. My initial question was if there were any other officers or anyone knows of any other officers that are going through the same thing, and if so did they know of any other way(s) to get the required ID. Just me thinking out loud here, but you would think being this is a Federal law, that they would maybe come up with a universal ID card for all officers who qualify, and require your dept to sign off on it. But we all know that's not going to happen. I think it stinks because there are probably quite a few brother officers out there who may be having the same issue. I was and still am proud of my years "on the job," unfortunately, my lower back issues required me to be "put on the shelf" so to speak.

You might try having a sit down with the Chief or who ever the powers may be on your former dept. about changing the policy.
    Go over LEOSA with them, explain to them that there is no liability on the dept. This seems to be a concern to many uninformed Chiefs/Dept's.
    I had the same problem, except that my former dept. won't even issue a retirement Id to me when I retired. Chief said there was no requirement to do so. (We weren't drinking buddies)
    Anyway to make a long story short, I spoke with the town council president several times. (Chief won't even answer my requests for an appointment). Provided him with info on LEOSA, showed him where others had been issued retirement Id's. He ended up telling me that it really was up to the Chief of Police. I got ahold of one of my clients who use to be a Federal prosecutor, he took the case and after getting the run around and BS answers he filed a Federal lawsuit against the Chief and Dept. About two weeks before it was going to go to court the case was settled out of court.
    Do understand there is nothing in LEOSA that requires a dept. to issue a retirement ID.
    I go qualify again in October. The Chief was replaced about six months after the case was settled.
    Good luck.

Do understand there is nothing in LEOSA that requires a dept. to issue a retirement ID.
    This along with the fact there is no requirement in LEOSA that they qualify you either.

From what I understand, my old department in NJ only qualifies a certain few retired ranking officers, I left prior to the implementation of HR 218.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    This along with the fact there is no requirement in LEOSA that they qualify you either.

From what I understand, my old department in NJ only qualifies a certain few retired ranking officers, I left prior to the implementation of HR 218.
    Retirees don't have to qualify with their former dept. We can qualify with our former dept., by the state we live in or by any dept. in the state we live in if the state doesn't have anything set up to qualify retirees.
    One thing you might do is speak with a rep. from the FOP and see if they would help you if you do have a sit down with the Chief.
    With my case the state FOP rep. in my area was going to be a witness for me. Contact your state reps. and have a sit down with them, see if they will introduce state bills that require depts. in your state to issued retirement Id's to officers that meet LEOSA requirements. Here is Indiana's, it isn't the best and doesn't seem to be up to date but at least they are trying. IC 35-47-15-4

Quote Originally Posted by Dogman View Post
    Retirees don't have to qualify with their former dept. We can qualify with our former dept., by the state we live in or by any dept. in the state we live in if the state doesn't have anything set up to qualify retirees.
    One thing you might do is speak with a rep. from the FOP and see if they would help you if you do have a sit down with the Chief.
    With my case the state FOP rep. in my area was going to be a witness for me. Contact your state reps. and have a sit down with them, see if they will introduce state bills that require depts. in your state to issued retirement Id's to officers that meet LEOSA requirements. Here is Indiana's, it isn't the best and doesn't seem to be up to date but at least they are trying. IC 35-47-15-4
    I understand that, I was trying to keep it brief.
    I don't qualify with my former NJ dept., I qualify with a Sheriff's Dept. here in FL!
    Bottom line, if a department doesn't want to issue a retired ID, they don't have to.

In PA, it's not required by the Municipal Police Officers Education and Training Commission (MPOETC) for your department to qualify you. The have a list of certified firearms instructors who you can choose to qualify you. I have been thinking about talking to the Chief of my department, as well as the Mayor. I was born and raised in the town where I worked, so I know quite a few people. I'll say this again, it would be nice if there was a Federal ID card for all officers who qualified under LEOSA. I think this would help with alot of fellow officers whose department doesn't issue IDs.

DOGMAN, thanks alot for your response. I was born and raised where I worked. I also volunteered with the fire company, as well as working with the local EMS service, so I know a few "higher ups." But you know how some of the politicians can be. If one person doesn't like or support you, look out. The Mayor there was also a member of our fire company, and I left the department on good terms, so I don't think I will have a problem with them. Now the council there is a whole different story. A few there seem to think they could tell me how to do my job without any formal training...(Rolling eyes..) But I'll give it a shot and hopefully it will work out. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by JimC View Post
    Bottom line, if a department doesn't want to issue a retired ID, they don't have to.
    For many this is the rub right here. Frankly I do not want the "G" telling any department they MUST issue a retirement ID. Fortunately mine always has issued them.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Do you think that's right?? I sure as hell don't. I'm gonna put my life on the line for you for 20+ years, and after I retire you shake my hand and tell me see ya and good luck. I know your department doesn't have to issue a "separated" officer an ID, but a RETIRED officer should be issued one, no ifs, ands, or buts about that!!!!