Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Mitch Rosen   Kahr Shop
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: XS big dots vs. standard dots

Default XS big dots vs. standard dots

In general I see only glowing reports on the Big Dots... but have heard a few people here complain about them because of various issues such as not being that good for short distance target shooting, and problems with fitting in certain holsters. My question is: why not Standard Dots to get the benefits of day/nite sights albeit with slightly less front sight pickup, solve the target/accuracy issue as well as not needing a new holster? Trying to figure out which ones to get on a few guns.

Thumbs up

I like the big dot because it is fast and easy to see in any light, you get used to it. It does catch on some holsters.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jeepster09; 04-23-2010 at 09:05 PM.
    "Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I run the standard dot on any mid to full size gun. I have 4 sets now I think just so everything is familiar. It's fast enough for me, still shows up well for aging eyes and is plenty accurate. Any future compact, PM9, PM45, G36 etc will wear the big dot. The standard sights on my K40 actually have a pretty similar sight picture and I get along fine with them too.
    The big dot is accurate as well, you just have to get used to it. Not that much different than that standard dot really. I like them alot. Work great for me.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Bawanna45cal:

Do you have pics of the guns with the XS sights that you can post? I really want to get them for the MK and my XD9sc but I was hoping to get the big dots...assuming that they won't mess with my holster fitment.

Have you had any issues with this? If so, I may need the standard dots.

...oh...and your package is supposed to go out this coming Monday if the mailroom wasn't sleeping today...

Quote Originally Posted by quikduk View Post
    Bawanna45cal:

Do you have pics of the guns with the XS sights that you can post? I really want to get them for the MK and my XD9sc but I was hoping to get the big dots...assuming that they won't mess with my holster fitment.

...oh...and your package is supposed to go out this coming Monday if the mailroom wasn't sleeping today...
    I don't think you'll have any real holster issues with either the big dot or the standard dot. Big dots would be great on the MK, I might consider standard dot on the XD9 but either would work fine. I'm not sure I have any pics that show the sights very well. I'll try to take a few tomorrow if my people give me few minutes to do important stuff. Kind of feeling poorly at the moment but maybe even later.
    Your sending me a package?
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Bawanna45cal:

Well my pictures suck. I tried and tried but cant seem to get the sights to show up well. Jeepsters picture above is awesome and my hat is definitely off to him for his photo abilities.
    Here's my Para Companion with fixed standard dot and my 14-45 Para with a melt down dovetailed adjustable standard dot set. My 7-45 Para is still wearing the fiber optics but one day soon they'll be knocked off and replaced with probably standard dot XS's as well. I'll shop for a better camera or maybe a better picture taker.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Default humm

Quote Originally Posted by hsart View Post
    In general I see only glowing reports on the Big Dots... but have heard a few people here complain about them because of various issues such as not being that good for short distance target shooting, and problems with fitting in certain holsters. My question is: why not Standard Dots to get the benefits of day/nite sights albeit with slightly less front sight pickup, solve the target/accuracy issue as well as not needing a new holster? Trying to figure out which ones to get on a few guns.
    they are designed for SHORT DISTANCE shooting. That is the whole principal of the bog dots. Now get out to 15 yards plus and the dot cover alof area. Again it is a fast acquisition short range sight, that for me is excellent on my PM9. I have um on my jP380 also, which by all means is a close up personal defense gun.

Not sure about the holster thing, but these custom makers will make a channel for any sight you want,but you need to let them know. I carry both of my kahr sin a desantis and course it works fine with xs sights..

Most people love the xs, an then there are some who are guided into buying them buy guys like us who brag on them, only to find out that they do not like um. Best advice is to see if you can shoot someone gun with the xs big dot on it.. Might save some headaches down the road..

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna45cal View Post
    Your sending me a package?
    ...er...yes...

It can go towards your PM45 fund...

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    Best advice is to see if you can shoot someone gun with the xs big dot on it.. Might save some headaches down the road..
    Got it. I tried (without ammo) at Cops West this past year and liked how fast I could pick them up.

Got it. I tried (without ammo) at Cops West this past year and liked how fast I could pick them up.
    Usually and I think XS even states it in the paperwork at longer distances you can adjust and use the top of the big dot like a post so to speak. It's probably not technically (damn I sound like a rocket scientist) correct to say it's not accurate at long distances. Perhaps less pinpoint accurate than some sights but with practice a bit and it works well. I believe its even the same for the standard dot. Usually I cover the target, out at 20 yards and further you can drop down to a 6 oclock hold and hit well or at least people that shoot well can. Not sure I qualify for that or not.
    I love em, they work for me, let me check the abbreviation list,,,,,hmmm YMMV. I rock!
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan