CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun   Xssights

Thread: Colorado Gun Laws

Default Colorado Gun Laws

The Colorado Attorney General did issue scant guidance a few weeks ago but it wasn't much help.

First a gun rights attorney friend of mine advised that in his opinion if you owned a magazine that holds more than 15 rounds before July first regardless of where you lived at that time it's legal for you to bring it to Colorado as long as you don't attempt to transfer that magazine while you're here.

The Colorado Sheriffs’ (all but about 5 of them) are in the middle of a federal lawsuit with the state over this law. The state and sheriff's stipulated to enforcement guidelines this week while waiting for the suit to go to trial. With that settled (at least until after Labor Day) I'm now totally comfortable in saying we won't have any problems holding the 2013 AZSA World Championship match.

The county sheriffs of both of Adams County (where we shoot) and Arapahoe County (where the nearest motels are located) are both a party to this lawsuit so I see no problems during the events. If you’re driving in for the match I would say you’re golden. Just remember that when the nice policeman asks “you wouldn’t have any objections to my searching you’re car” the answer is always “Yes Sir I do object, you do not have my permission to search my property without a warrant.”

On the other hand if you plan to fly in through the Peoples Republic of Denver some additional precautions may be in order. Flying into Denver with your magazines poses no real issues as you'll just be picking up your luggage and leaving the airport. When you leave you’ll have to declare your guns and you then have TSA/DPD to deal with as your flying back out.

I'll offer two options that I believe will work. One, mail your magazines back to yourself after the match and fly home with just your guns. This is all perfectly legal and only meant to avoid any delays with the uninformed when you check your guns onto the aircraft. Two, if you would rather not deal with any questions away from the range (where we’ll be able to easily answer them for you) we each have several magazines we all personally own (I have 2 drums and several 30 Rd. sticks to loan, first come, first serve) that we can just loan to any of you during the day and get them back each night during the match.
    Before you ask,

I would foresee potential issues mailing magazines to one of us before the match and then mailing them back out after the match. No, neither of us intend it to be a transfer but we all know common sense and the law are many times mutually exclusive.
    Last edited by G Man; 07-18-2013 at 09:20 AM.

Thanks for the update Bat. As of today expect to see me Labor Day Weekend.
    I had contacted the Colorado State Attorney General's office and they declined to send me a meaningful reply so I then contacted the Colorado State Patrol and the following is their reply:

Mr. Davenport:

In regards to your inquiry regarding magazines and round limitations: you ARE grandfathered in and therefore not subject to any confiscation or action for possessing a magazine that holds 16 or more rounds. There is no documentation you need to have with you. In regards to transporting them into the state of Colorado there is no issue with importing them. The only issue would be the transferring and/or sale of any "high capacity" magazine. If you are bringing them into the state and keeping them, there is no issue.

If you have any other questions or concerns please feel free to contact me directly and I will do my best to answer them for you.

Enjoy your time in Colorado!

--
    Trooper Josh K. Lewis
    CSP Public Affairs
    700 Kipling St.
    Lakewood CO 80215
    303-239-4583
    Joshua.Lewis@state.co.us

I hope to see everyone in September!
    Pitspitr
    pitspitr@nctc.net

I'd be sure to print that out and have some extra copies available just in case.

Glad to see there is some common sense in the state from the LEO side.

Quote Originally Posted by RevRay View Post
    I'd be sure to print that out and have some extra copies available just in case.
    That is my plan