Xssights   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New AO M1 carbine 1st range report

Default New AO M1 carbine 1st range report

Finally took my new Auto Ordnance Carbine out to the range on Friday and had lots of fun, even with some of the expected small problems. First, here are a couple of very lame IPOD photos--it was raining outside when I got back so I took them indoors--I will do better soon:

I used PPU 110 grain FMJ ammo for this test and fired 150 rounds at paper-plate size targets at 50 yards, using the iron sights that come with the rifle. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much. I have to wear glasses to read, and for pistol shooting I generally wear 1X safety glasses just so I can see the sights clearly.

But I was very pleasantly surprised by the little rifle! It comes to the shoulder very easily and the sights line up naturally, the rear sight is basically a sort of ghost ring, and since the front blade is far enough away, I was able to see it clearly and--best off all--quickly. Target acquisition in a tense situation would be very fast! Much more so than my Mini 14 with its little 1-3X scope, and that's saying a lot, since it's pretty darned easy to get on target too. Recoil, as expected, is quite minimal, and I think this helps quite a bit with accuracy. It did want to shoot just a touch low, but that may have been me, not the rifle. I wasn't shooting off the rest, but did use the bench for arm support.

I fired groups of five for about two hours, stopping for range cease fires and to mess with the magazines (I'll get to that in a minute), and I shot no group over four inches. All but a couple were around or under three inches, and toward the end I parked five rounds inside a 1.5" circle; you could have knocked me over with a feather! I am a mediocre shot at best, so for me this was pretty good.

Now to the problems. The mag that came with the rifle seated ok--I only say "ok," because it dropped out once while shooting. Also, it usually took two or three tries to slingshot the first round out of the mag, up the feed ramp and into the chamber. Once this happened, however, feeding and functioning were flawless. I'm used to operating semi-auto pistols, so I know how to release the slide and let it do the work. I'm thinking that the first round loading problem will diminish after I get more rounds through the rifle, so I'm withholding judgment on that. I'm thinking at least 500 rounds for a break in. I had field-stripped and cleaned the rifle before going to the range and did the same after the shoot. I am tempted to polish the feed ramp a bit--any suggestions about doing that or bending the mag lips open a tad would be appreciated. I of course don't want to do anything that will void the warranty.

The other two mags, which I had ordered new from Auto Ordnance, simply wouldn't seat in the well. I tried easing them in, smacking them home, wiggling them, lubing them a bit, etc. No luck. I wrote AO an email about this so I will see what they say.

All in all, I think this will turn out to be a great purchase once it is broken in and I find some working mags. Alas, I'm limited to 10-rounders because of where I live. I ordered a pro-mag, although I've always heard they are a bit iffy. And I've got bids down on a couple of original GI mags on ebay. I'm hoping to go back for another session this week and will report back here. My best to all!

Jeff

Thanks for the post. I was looking forward to it. One of the mags I just bought will seat but kept dropping. I found you really have to man handle it but that's ok. Slam it in and jam it rearward ... And it works fine. As for feeding. You are right. It gets better as you shoot. Have fun.
    ​O|||||||O

Hey from your avatar I see we share something other than a love for the m1 carbine. I'm a Clapton fan from waaaaay back. First saw him while I was in high school in 1970!

I'll try some more muscle on the mags--I sorta banged up my right hand already banging on em lol.

Good report. Thanks. My oldest son wants to get one. IF he finds one I know he'll pick it up.
    The only thing better than having all the guns and ammo you'd ever need would be being able to shoot it all off the back porch.

Want to see what will be the end of our country as we know it???
    Visit here:
    http://www.usdebtclock.org/

Most welcome. I spent a bit of time with one of the spare mags tonight. I took a dead-blow hammer and used the soft plastic end. Pushed the mag deep into the well, squeezed the mag release and wiggled it to make sure I had it all the way in, then tapped it judiciously with the hammer back toward the rear of the well. After about ten minutes of this not working and the mag dropping out, Voila! It snapped into place. Soon I could do it with just my hand--I'm not sure what keeps them from seating--possibly the two little nipples on the rear of the mag, which come painted--I note that the paint is worn off the mags there once they start to work.

Also, after the latest clean and lube (I use CLP Breakfree), the bolt will now stay locked rearward when I depress the retaining pin. Things are starting to free up. I'm hoping to get back to the range Monday for another 150 rounds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff023 View Post
    Hey from your avatar I see we share something other than a love for the m1 carbine. I'm a Clapton fan from waaaaay back. First saw him while I was in high school in 1970!

I'll try some more muscle on the mags--I sorta banged up my right hand already banging on em lol.
    Yeah. Seen him a couple of times. My forum name also tributes one of Clapton's songs; "Before you accuse me, take a look at yourself..."

Those nipples on the mag hold it in place. Not sure what was interfering for you but you gotta get the mag seated far enough for them to catch and hold. Again, a little muscle fixed it for me. Sounds like you are well on your way.
    ​O|||||||O

Also. Is your stock really dry? I've been oiling the crap outta mine and it's shaping up nice, darker, smoother... Just hand rubbing with a soft cloth.
    ​O|||||||O

I have one that my Dad bought through the mail (vefore the gun control act) that he paid around $20 for. It has General Motors on the barrel. Army surplus naturally but I remember how nice it shot as you said with minimal recoil. Have not shot it for at least 40 years but I remember what fun it was.

b4, I'm ashamed of myself for not picking up on your screen name That's a favorite of mine. I'm just generally a blues fan, so of course I love hearing him play Crossroads--I know, it's kind of a cliche, but I like it anyway, lol.

What are you using for the stock, regular old linseed oil? Mine is really dry, yes. I've been distracted by the mags and break-in so haven't stopped to think about the stock yet.

Kerby, if that GI issue rifle has all matching parts and is in good condition it's worth around $850-1000 now. More if you have the bayonet and other stuff that goes with it, or if its a rare model!

If mine gets to the point where it's functioning really well I'm going to promote it to my main HD rifle. First though it has to run flawlessly through several mags. But it's lighter and faster to deploy than my mini-14. Being an old guy, I don't have an AR or other evil black rifle--I like wooden stocks for one thing, just can't work up any love for polymer or plastic. Am I too old-fashioned?

Here's an update to my last update, lol. I was amazed to get this email from Jay D'Andrea in Kahr customer service this morning (a Sunday no less!):

"Good morning. I am sorry to hear about the experience. We would like to see this rifle at the factory. If you can reply with the serial number and your telephone number I will have a RMA setup.

Kahr Customer Service
    508-795- 3919"

As I said, I'd written them a note about the feeding problems with the first rounds and the problems getting the mags to seat. Anyway, I'm going to take them up on it--never hurts to have the factory refine the functioning, and maybe I'm missing something they will catch. I will of course post here when I get the rifle back.

Jeff