Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New AO M1 carbine 1st range report

need to get some linseed oil on that stock!

Does the AO M1 Carbine follow the original pattern? I know some M1carbine's of years past (Plainfield?) had major deviation from the military pattern.

Certainly not a bad idea. Keep us posted. Maybe you will learn something that can help us all. I suspect this is not the right product but I have been oiling the stock with Balistol and it seems to be working. That's another natural oil like linseed. Although the former is probably a better choice. Went to the rifle range today and ran another 150 rds thru. Had a blast. Pun intended. This is certainly worthy for home defense. Especially since, like you, I haven't done the black rifle thing yet. If you get a chance, post a review of that mini14 in other firearms. That's on my radar. i have a chance to pick up a new one for $200 under list. Is that good?
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by CJB View Post
    need to get some linseed oil on that stock!

Does the AO M1 Carbine follow the original pattern? I know some M1carbine's of years past (Plainfield?) had major deviation from the military pattern.
    I am not the expert but yes I believe the AO is very close to the original. AO was a supplier for some of the original parts. I think the whole point was to capitalize on that experience and tooling..
    ​O|||||||O

b4, I'm planning on taking the mini-14 to the range on Monday. I'll shoot it at 50 and 100 yeards and post a range report. It's a really good rifle. I think I paid about $600 for it back in '05 or thereabouts. It's a Ranch rifle, which means it throws the empties sideways so that you can install a scope over the receiver.

I've seen them locally over $850, but this is CT, where they're at a premium because they aren't classed as "assault weapons" unless they have the folding stock or have been re-stocked.

They're not super-accurate, although I think there are things that can be done to get them to shoot 1" or less groups.

Default Re: New AO M1 carbine 1st range report

Very nice rifle!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
    Kahr CM9 = Flawless

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff023 View Post
    b4, I'm planning on taking the mini-14 to the range on Monday. I'll shoot it at 50 and 100 yeards and post a range report. It's a really good rifle. I think I paid about $600 for it back in '05 or thereabouts. It's a Ranch rifle, which means it throws the empties sideways so that you can install a scope over the receiver.

I've seen them locally over $850, but this is CT, where they're at a premium because they aren't classed as "assault weapons" unless they have the folding stock or have been re-stocked.

They're not super-accurate, although I think there are things that can be done to get them to shoot 1" or less groups.
    Jeff, I went ahead and bought a mini14. I like it alot but I like the m130 much better. Light and easy shooting and I am more accurate with the m1. Gonna go ahead and sight the mini in again plus I have a scope coming. Should be fun. Might have to ante up for some better ammo if I want some accuracy. Been shooting wolf and tula. Never expected to enjoy semi auto rifles this much but these are great and they will get shot alot.
    ​O|||||||O

Hi All--

b4, glad the mini is working out for you! I had mine out on the range the other day (I usually shoot Federal Eagle range ammo or PMC), and it was fine. At 50 yards, it's all in the ten ring; at 100 yards, it's usually in there This is shooting with my elbow on the bench, not off a rest or led sled. I have a 1-3X Bushnell scope on it, which works out pretty well. I hear the most recent ones are more accurate than the earlier model. Mine's fine for what I expect of it--If I want sub-moa groups I get out my bolt-action Ruger M77.

Also, I finally got my M1 back from AO today! So it was about a month, which is what they say on their website for turn-around on long guns. The work order says they "reworked the magazines and magazine catch." It doesn't say so, but I can see they also polished the feed ramp. It still had back paint or blue on it when I had the gun before, but now it's nice and shiny. I will head to the range on Monday, weather permitting, and will come back and let you all know how it goes. I must say that they were good about communication and doing the service. The service rep I talked to was Jay D'Andrea, who was quite professional and even checked on the status of the job for me after the rifle had been there for awhile.

I'm happy to have it back--really missed shooting it!

If I told you how accurate my AO carbine is at 100 yards you guys wouldn't believe me so I won't. I will say it bests any USGI carbine I've ever shot and I've shot a lot of them. The AO bests them by a good margin. I know it's not fair to compare a 70 year old rifle against a brand new rifle but even if the USGI rifles were new I doubt they would be as accurate as the AO is.

I agree Wolverines (not Michigan I hope) WELCOME. I really cannot explain it. I'm not sure whether it's the AO carbine that's so accurate or whether I'm just more accurate shooting it. Either way, I hits what I aims at.

Not so with the Ruger Mini14. I just checked the sights with a laser bore sighter and they are dead on...but somehow I'm still shooting left. The sights are real similar
    ​O|||||||O

Hi Jeff, welcome to the forum, BTW. I remember shooting one of these little jewels at the range when I was qualifying with the M1 and 45. That was 1960, but I remember I really liked the little carbine. We qualified the M1 on the 200 yd range, but shot the carbine at 100 yards. I recall it had no recoil to speak of and was quite accurate. I even thought about buying one 10 or 12 years ago, remembering in the 60's you could buy them all day for $50. After the initial sticker shock, I bought a Hi Point carbine.