Magnum Research new   Xssights   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New AO M1 carbine 1st range report

This makes me want one. Nice rifle.
    Draw me not without provocation, sheath me not without honor.

Well, it's been quite awhile, but I thought I'd report back. After a couple more trips to the range, my M1 AO carbine was still jamming, usually because the cartridges weren't going up the feed ramp smoothly. I sent it back to the factory a second time, and it was back in about three weeks. It now works much better--they said they made alterations to the mags (not sure what--maybe pried the lips back a bit?). They now seat well and the shells go up the feed ramp much more easily. It's favorite brand of ammo seems to be Armscor FMJ, which feeds and ejects very nicely. It also worked well with Sellier and Bellot FMJ and Magtech FMJ. I tried some privi soft points and it shoots them but still jams open every so often. Accuracy was fine--all in the X ring at 50 yards, as long as I was paying attention.

I've put 450 rounds thru it so far and it does seem to be loosening up. Any ideas re: getting soft points to function really reliably would be welcome, although I don't really mind sticking to FMJ. I have some Remington FMJ that I want to try next. The little rifle is a joy to handle, point, and shoot--very light recoil of course. Here in CT, I can only have ten-round mags, but it's still a solid HD weapon I think.

Best to all--should I try polishing the feed ramp with Flitz or something else? Messing around with the mag lips? Or just leave well enough alone?
    Last edited by Jeff023; 05-29-2014 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling

My wife has one. She hardly shoots it. Wish the rear sight had an elevation adjustment.
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

― Dalai Lama XIV (as told to high school students.)

shoot the Fokker... in time you will probably find it reliably feeds more various ammo. Really glad it is running better for you.
    ​O|||||||O

Thanks b4--nice quotation in your signature, BTW. I'm pretty happy with it, think I'll keep shooting, oiling, cleaning and see what transpires :-)

Jeff023, I replaced the recoil spring and magazines springs with Wolff springs. I then changed out the magazine release with Fulton Armory release (Easy change out). The magazines seat better and there are no hiccups. I use Auto Ord., KCI (Korean) and Keep Shooting magazines. I shoot Auguila and Magtech ammo. Hope this helps.

Wow, thanks for the advice. I'm not the least bit a gunsmith, so what you describe sounds challenging. But maybe there are some videos on how to do it.

The rifle's shooting ok now as long as I keep it fairly clean.

Unhappy

Edit, I replaced the magazine catch (not release) with a Fulton Armory part.

Jeff023 it is not challenging at all. There are videos on how to change the magazine catch. It is literally a 5 minute job. It made a big difference in how my magazines were seating, resulting in better feeding. My AO now runs flawlessly.

Ok, I'll take a look on youtube--thanks alot for the help!