Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P40 magazine help

Default P40 magazine help

Greetings brain trust. Just bought my 15th Kahr off gunbroker, buyer beware though. Looks brand new but seller stopped answering my emails when I pointed out that in 16 magazines full of Fiocchi fmj the slide wouldn't lock back on empty not one time. I studied my other Kahr 9mm/.45 mags and the little bump thing that engages slide lock is shaped very different on the .40 compared to the other calibers. Do all .40 mags have this shape? Can you swap out a 9mm follower and get slide lock? Also, rounds 4,5 (loaded into mag 2nd, 3rd) in all 16 magazines failed to feed and needed to pull back slide slightly to relieve pressure on round then it could be pushed into chamber with slide. Not a fan of that either. My Ranger 180 grain HP's all fed correctly but still wouldn't lock slide back. Please help. My other Kahr's are perfect. This thing is a useless black turd at the moment.

The .40 is in the middle. The little bump thing is way less rounded and much more pointy than the other 9mm/.45 followers where they engage slide lock.

either one should work OK, they did go to the rounded one lately. I have no clue why. Have u visibly checkedto seeif the mags lock open if u just pullback the slide on anembpy magazine. to see what that metal ub is doin with that slide lock lever.U could have a bad slide lock lever, if all 3 are doinit. Give kahr a call and explain it and I wuld think they would send u a new slide stop lever to install. Also on wyns thead on kahr 45 fixes he shows a nice photo of what that sldiestop spring should look like. It indeed could be bent outta whack. IMO has to be one of those two things and each should be easy to check out. Sounds like the seller did sumpin wrong with the gun and peddled it. Kahr can fix it but check some of this out urself first.

PM sent to.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

From what I see in your pic the middle mag's mag follower does NOT have the metal pin insert that contacts the slide lock/release, and appears as though the plastic has been deformed from contacting the slide lock/release.
    The left mag's follower appears to have the pin, with the stock, conical shape.
    I have found that pin in stock form, to drag in the inside of the mag and have stoned/filed mine for clearance in the mag, and it kinda looks like the pin in the mag follower on the right, in your pic
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilos View Post
    From what I see in your pic the middle mag's mag follower does NOT have the metal pin insert that contacts the slide lock/release, and appears as though the plastic has been deformed from contacting the slide lock/release.
    The left mag's follower appears to have the pin, with the stock, conical shape.
    I have found that pin in stock form, to drag in the inside of the mag and have stoned/filed mine for clearance in the mag, and it kinda looks like the pin in the mag follower on the right, in your pic
    9mm on left, .40 middle, .45 on right. It's dark, but there is a small rectangular metal piece there to engage lever, its just simply a lot smaller than the larger, more rounded 9/45 mags.

Jocko. If I pull the slide all the way back on an empty mag and press slide lock lever up manually to catch it will hold. If I don't apply pressure to that lever though it won't lock open

I thought that my P40 mags' follower pins dragged too much on the inside of the tube and sanded them a bit. Then none would hold the slide open on empty. I had to buy all new followers.

My P40's slide lock spring's screw really seems prone to loosen and then I have failures of the slide to lock back. I check that often now, especially if I have ANY problems.

I had problems with my P40 in chambering rounds and found that radiusing the parts of the extractor claw that come in contact with the cartridge rims really helps. I used small diamond files and whet stones to smooth those and stopped the partial chambering thing.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

did you say 16 mags? If so then it is the gun. can you take a high res pic of the chamber with an empty mag in with the back? I bet something is out of tolerance and that is the prob with the slide lock and feeding. I bet the mag is not going deep enough into the frame.

OH, Ok then...
    I apologize if my post contains the same or similar information as someone who has posted before me.

Default then

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo View Post
    9mm on left, .40 middle, .45 on right. It's dark, but there is a small rectangular metal piece there to engage lever, its just simply a lot smaller than the larger, more rounded 9/45 mags.

Jocko. If I pull the slide all the way back on an empty mag and press slide lock lever up manually to catch it will hold. If I don't apply pressure to that lever though it won't lock open
    thereis sumpin wrongor totally out of whack with that little springhy on the left. . taketheslideoff, reinsertthe slide release lever, now insert an empty magazineand seeif that follower is pickin up that slide release lever. very easy to check. If that spring is bent to fardown ward,it willexert enoghpressure on that slide lock leverto over ride the powe rof the magazine follower spring. thistestwillalso show u if thefollowers are indeed engaging that little nub on the slide lever on the insideof theframe. Iwould betthatpartis OK but it is easyto see.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by knkali View Post
    did you say 16 mags? If so then it is the gun. can you take a high res pic of the chamber with an empty mag in with the back? I bet something is out of tolerance and that is the prob with the slide lock and feeding. I bet the mag is not going deep enough into the frame.
    Here you go. Hopefully one of these shows what you're looking for.
    I'm guessing that feed ramp mark indicates some polishing needed there.

For what its worth in my TP40 the 9mm follower work in the 40sw mag when hand cycling them on an empty mag. The metal tab on the 9mm follower also sits 30ths higher than the 40cal follower in the 40 mag. Maybe enough to make a difference. Small difference in widths of follower to mag can account for that. It also feeds well by hand. Did not shoot it to see if it locked back as I have near by neighbors that work night and sleep first half of the day.

The photo of your different mags makes me think the metal tab in your 40sw follower maybe part of your problem. By eye only the 3-40sw mags I have the metal tab sits higher in the plastic than yours look to be. Mine average .445 ths from the metal edge at the front of the mag.

Yea a little polishing may help with feeding issues along with something help hold on tightly. I find I have to adjust my grip about have way thru a mag.