Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Catch Removal

Default Magazine Catch Removal

Any tips on how to switch out a mag catch on a CW9? I'm not having any luck getting the spring off of the catch itself, much less get it out of the frame.

Larry

Default try

going to google and search for kahr magazine release and it will pop up for you. Basically a par of long nose needle nose pliers is all that is needed..

I've tried, but only come up with threads about having to change it...

Any links would be appreciated-

Larry

Take off the slide and go in from the top.

Quote Originally Posted by DT Guy View Post
    Any tips on how to switch out a mag catch on a CW9? I'm not having any luck getting the spring off of the catch itself, much less get it out of the frame.

Larry
    I removed the slide and went in through the bottom of the mag well with a small hobby flat head screw driver. I just pushed the spring over and lifted it out of the channel of the mag catch with the tip of the screw driver, once out of the channel you can push the mag release through the frame and pull the spring out with needle nose pliers.

Just replaced the catch on my CW40. Heres' how I did it.

I cleared the pistol, dropped the mag and removed the slide. Using a thin bladed screwdriver as a lever I moved the catch spring into the gap on the catch (cut for this purpose) and carefully pried the spring back. The catch slid right out. Install the new catch in reverse order. Long nose pliers just won't work as well as they cant hold the spring tightly enough to remove it.
    The replacement catch Kahr supplied is machined differently than the old one and does hold the mag tighter. I'll be a few days before I can test fire it but it seems like a good fix.

A dental pick is the perfect tool for the job. Remove the slide and go in from the top. Removal is a piece of cake.

See the video, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUvcGKqNGZI
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Harbor Freight sells an orange-handled pick set with several of the 4 picks good for the job. Sometimes you can get that for free with a coupon, on sale for 99˘, or about $2 normally. I have at least 4 sets around the house... very handy.

Wynn
    Attached Images Attached Images
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I think generally only the catch needs to be changes also. The spring itself usually is ok.

The picks Wynn mentions would be the ticket.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I think the one with the curl could be used up the mag well to raise the spring out to remove the release and then insert the new one before releasing the spring. Or, maybe it was the right-angled one... I forget... but I'm taking Turmeric and coconut oil to help with that memory thing!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".