Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: AR15 pistol

Wonder if they still consider it a pistol with the stock in place or if your straying into SBR territory and need a stamp.

My Mares Leg would be the same deal. If I put a full size buttstock on it I have a SBR.

Maybe because it's removeable it's different.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

The AFT still considers it a pistol with the brace that is in the pictures. Someone at the ATF must have been bribed or blackmailed to OK the device.
    Yes, I am a gun lovin' woman!
    16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life. John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by melissa5 View Post
    The AFT still considers it a pistol with the brace that is in the pictures. Someone at the ATF must have been bribed or blackmailed to OK the device.
    It's from Sig so I'm sure it's legit.
    But the ATF has been infamous about changing their opinions on gray area stuff.

There's been lots of talk and conflicting info about angled fore grips as well.

Personally I'm leaving my Bulgarian AK pistol bone stock.

I run an A2 length buffer tube on mine, wrapped in para cord, rubber cap on the end, AFG, and a CAA saddle. All legal according to the ATF. Sometimes it may bump up against my shoulder. Not sure what I could do to prevent that.
    Chief Administrator
    Kahrtalk.com

Quote Originally Posted by johnh View Post
    I run an A2 length buffer tube on mine, wrapped in para cord, rubber cap on the end, AFG, and a CAA saddle. All legal according to the ATF. Sometimes it may bump up against my shoulder. Not sure what I could do to prevent that.
    John you're a good man.
    But your posts sometimes cause thought for purchases I hadn't considered.
    I had mulled over a piston AR pistol.
    But the issue you can't mitigate with that buffer tube hitting your shoulder
    has me thinking.
    This is never a good thing.

I particularly like the novel way you've covered the tube to help with the issue.
    Mmmmmmmm

Get a Levang comp for it, it directs the sound downrange.
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/524...15-steel-matte
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

I love my AR pistol. This upper is chambered in .300 BLK, and is a blast to shoot.

You can keep the side of the buffer tube up against your cheek with your nose on the charging handle while shooting easily. The end of the tube doesn't come in contact with the shoulder at all, and you can still get hits with it well.

It is actually easier to shoot a DI AR pistol than a piston one. A friend of mine had an old Professional Ordnance AR pistol that had a really short buffer tube. The only way you could shoot it was by holding it at arms length, and half the time it wouldn't function properly. It would also shred the DPMS 10 round plastic magazines that came with it.

Needless to say I was put off by the AR pistol concept for quite a while, but after a few years of reading about them and what other owners did (heavy buffer, .093 dia gas port on a 10.5" barrel in 5.56) I decided to put one together. It worked like a charm! I put more rounds through my pistol AR than I do my carbine. A dedicated pistol buffer tube (carbine length spring and tube) with a heavy buffer is definitely the way to go.

I'm in the middle of making a dedicated .22lr upper for this pistol as we speak. I have yet to decide what length the barrel should be, though. I kind of like the 7.5" barrel that I have on my .300 BLK upper, but that may be too long for a .22... I'm thinking 4" (and still operate the ceiner type bolt properly either suppressed or unsuppressed)...

^^I find that rather aesthetically pleasing. ^^
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

You too, can build an AR pistol (if your state allows for it).

When set up properly, they run great, and are a blast to shoot. On the other hand it is rather vile to stand beside one when the shooter is having fun. Nothing like a visible two-foot tongue of fire in the middle of the day to slap your face with a concussion like an angry girl on a cheap date.

I can remember the first time by friend shot his AR pistol. We took it to a public range and it was quite busy that afternoon. We got the last two empty spots, and while everybody else was involved in the business of shooting, we unloaded our gear.

I was watching as he squeezed off the first three rounds. At that moment, everybody at the pistol range immediately stopped shooting their .44 magnums and looked over at the ball of fire coming from the end of the line. They put their pistols down and came over, surrounding us in a semi-circle.

For the next half hour, we entertained the crowd. Too bad the thing jammed at least once every magazine, but they didn't seem to care. That was approximately 13 years ago. Things have changed quite a bit since then, and now we can have an AR pistol that actually runs.

This is all you need to get going:

H2 buffer and carbine spring
    .093 dia gas port hole
    16" barrel parted at 10.5" or 11.5" and threaded (if you want) or just get one pre-made by any reputable maker.
    Carbine gas tube and whatever gas block you want.
    Pistol buffer tube by (pick one: RRA, Ace Stocks, et al)

I've heard good things about the Levang Linear Comp and the Noveske Flaming Pig compensators if you don't want to bother those shooting beside you. Unfortunately, I have no direct experience with them myself. Not for a lack of trying, but the Noveske comp has been consistently out of stock for quite a while. Then, of course, when they magically appear back in stock, I already spent my wad of cash on other AR parts.