Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Kahr Shop

Thread: New cm9, plastic slide rail longevity?

Default New cm9, plastic slide rail longevity?

Should I be concerned about all the plastic shavings I had after the 200 round break in? I shoot 200 rounds in about an hour and didn't have a single failure, but it seemed like a lot of plastic came off the frame. The plastic slide rails on the front don't have any metal like the rear and my right side rail looks a little chewed up. gun seemed accurate, when I wasn't pulling my shots.

I got a winthrop leather holster for it, which seems like it will work well once it breaks in some.

I've been carrying it in a Galco Jak slide that I use for my M&P 9c, but it's swallows up the little Kahr.

That's your slide custom fitting itself to the plastic. Clean it, lube it, and keep on shooting it...and welcome to the group.

I like that Galco Jak you're wearing. Going to have to look for one of those. Is it also too big for the cm9?

Default Re: New cm9, plastic slide rail longevity?

If you look down In the front of your frame there are two long metal rails that the slide is running on. The idea that a Kahr has no metal rails or of the slide running on plastic is not true at all but yet many are mislead to believe it is true. Where is Jocko when you need him? He should be along shortly to set the record straight.

I might have to look for one of those holsters, it looks pretty nice.
    Kahr CM9 = Flawless

Most of the shavings I've enountered were gone after the initial few boxes of ammo.

All the info on the slide rails metal, plastic have been stated..... but you might want to check your slide for sharp edges where it rides on things. Not too uncommon to have a little sharp edge or burr, which one hurt anything, but you can smooth them down with an emory board. All three of my Kahrs had a little burr where the half moon cutout for the disconnector/triggerbar was supposed to ride up and down. A few seconds cleaning that up a little will make things less likely to shave plastic when you disassemble for cleaning.

Quote Originally Posted by certified106 View Post
    If you look down In the front of your frame there are two long metal rails that the slide is running on. The idea that a Kahr has no metal rails or of the slide running on plastic is not true at all but yet many are mislead to believe it is true. Where is Jocko when you need him? He should be along shortly to set the record straight.

I might have to look for one of those holsters, it looks pretty nice.
    I realize it doesn't only ride on the plastic, that would be silly.

The winthrop holster was only $41 shipped on ebay. I like how high it rides and the back of the trigger guard is exposed.

The 9c works fine for me in the jak slide, it's just a really heavy gun, which is why I got the kahr. I also don't like the trigger on the M&P(I had to polish the shiot out of every part just to get it semi smooth. Pulling the trigger on the cm9, the gun doesn't move at all, but on the 9c it will actually jerk the gun a little. I have to do it just right to keep the sights from moving. Forget about one hand shooting with it. Other than that, the 9c is a bullet eating machine.

The cm9 trigger is very well engineered I guess. Only thing I don't like is I can't use the part of my finger behind the knuckle to pull the trigger, because the gun is so short.

Welcome. It all sounds like yours is running fine.

The trigger control will come.

For me I try to concentrate on keeping my trigger finger perpendicular to the gun. With the short distance between the trigger break and the rest of my hand I found I tended to curl my finger tip on the trigger and it would cause the shots to roll left and low (right handed).

Now I let the joint at the tip of my trigger finger 'go limp' (best description I could think of) and just drag it through the pull and it seems to help me keep my finger pad on the trigger in a more perpendicular fashion to the gun all the way through the long trigger pull and was less likely to curl it left.

Well, that worked for me, maybe try some dry and live fire and see if you note any positive change.

My cw9 runs well and with it's grip size it is a joy it to use at the range while still being easy to carry.

Have fun.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

Once the high spots are worn off the polymer reassembly guide rails you should experience no further difficulties with plastic shavings.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

The kahr plastic rail thing is about as absurd as the racking the shotgun to scare people off poo. Damn youtubers.

This place isn't safe.

Quote Originally Posted by addictedhealer View Post
    The kahr plastic rail thing is about as absurd as the racking the shotgun to scare people off poo. Damn youtubers.

Wait a minute! The other night I scared off my mother in law doing that...
    http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9396/nralh.jpg
    Apparently, that notch in the rail is supposed to be there...
    We need idiot control...NOT gun control.