Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Honeymoon is over

It's your call, Dave, but I wouldn't touch the aluminum receiver; I've heard nothing but trouble about those, about everything from the exterior finish, to the poor long-term performance.

I think Kahr tries to push them, because they aren't all that popular.

Rob
    "Nothing wrong with shooting, as long as the right people get shot." - Harry Callahan

SA M1A1 SBR Thompson owner
    http://floridasmostwanted.webs.com/

About the G.I. issue mags. I have picked up a few & merely elongated the hole with a rat-tail file to get the right fit. Since then I have read of the removal of a small amount of metal from the top of the latch botton. Would that not cause stock (KHAR mags) to not fit correctly. Does anyone out there know?

I've got a tutorial over on http://www.machinegunboards.com/forums/, Dave, with photos of how I did mine.

Rob
    "Nothing wrong with shooting, as long as the right people get shot." - Harry Callahan

I tutored under Ghostsoldier for probably much longer than he would have preferred and modified my mag catch as well.
    It took me awhile to grasp what I really needed to do but once I got it (I'm a little slow) it wasn't hard to do at all.
    Just take your time, put it together way to many times to test and I actually thought I had it but had some mags balk a bit. Went back and did a little more and now they all work fine, lock in solid and don't fall out.

Then you never had to ruin another good GI mag. And that's a good thing.

This is the first time in my life I've ever been on a fence with any of Ghostsoldiers wisdom but I know that Kahr does NOT endorse the EZ Pull spring replacement system. I was told it was actually tested in the plant and it caused all sorts of issues.
    Warranty out the window although I don't know how they would know. And I honestly don't fully understand what damage it can do but they said it will.

So while I've been tempted to try it myself I'm holding out on that one for now. It is a beast to pull that bolt back but I can still manage to get r dun.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

No problem, B-man...it's all good; I spend most of my life at odds with other people's wisdom, so I know where you're shootin' from.

Maybe I typed that wrong: I didn't mean to imply that Kahr endorsed the springs...my comment was that they try to push the aluminum receiver model guns as much as they can, because they are poor sellers.

To be honest, I know about 20 or so Tommy owners with the EZ Pulls, and not once has any one of them had an issue with them (even www.tommygunner.com, the premiere Tommy parts store, sells them at a ridiculous 80 bucks a pop http://www.tommygunner.com/pages/parts/ezpullspringkit/ ).

As a personal opinion (that I cannot prove ), I think Kahr's 'factory tests' are bogus, or at least they find the results they want to find in them....I've heard owners tell me the stiffer springs are actually cause for most of the receiver issues people have with these, and that it's no more than a ploy to get folks to have to buy replacement parts, down the road, after your warranty runs out.

That's what I've heard, anyway.

Rob

The aluminum light weight versions and the EZ Pull deal are two different deals. I agree, I would not go with the light weight version.

As for the EZ Pull I've heard numerous folks say no issues and it works super.
    It could well be the plant test were bogus, I got nothing solid to support or deny that theory.

I honestly don't shoot mine enough that I'm concerned that I'm gonna wear it out.

I still in many ways want to try the EZ Pull just to see how it acts.

Maybe someday I'll get around to doing that. It's not irreversible so something to gain and very little to lose I think.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

That's the way I figured it, too, so I gave them a shot (no pun intended )...so far, so good. I kept my old buffer and springs, just to be safe.

Rob

Dave, welcome to the place. On the issue of modifying the mag release, a couple of things to consider. How many mags do you already have that are modified? If you only plan on getting one or two more, it is probably not worth the cost in time and money to replace to catch and the magazines. If I were to do it all over again, I would have started out with doing the catch when I only had 2 or 3 mags, but now I have a bunch that are already modified. If you do decide to change the catch, you can always swap with folks here [thanks again Bawanna].
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

I have heard that some guys weld up the catch hole to use in GI catch guns, but that's a lot of concentrated heat on the thin magazine metal. It's easier, if you want to go that route, to mod the catch...and then, you can get lucky and maybe pick up surplus GI mags cheap (I bought 15 of them for 3 bucks a pop at Tapco, one year)...you can also swap mags with FA guys at shooting events, too.

Rob

And time (warranty period) marches on without me having my Tommy. Learned today that Khar STILL didn't have gun due to some snafu between Shoot Straight Tampa & Fed-Ex. Anyhow it supposedly left Shoot Straight last Thursday (6 days ago). One month of warranty had come & gone when this happened. Wonder what will be left when I get it back. TICK TOCK!