Xssights   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trigger pivot pin on P380

My point was the immediacy of it, even recruiting a friend to help reach the prescribed round count. It's like you leave the gun store, figuratively speaking, with the gun and this big stash of ammo that is virtually part of the purchase. Break-in is treated as a rite.

It seems to me that a mag or two of various ammo options, seeing what works (or not), plus a box, maybe two to get comfortable with it, and one can settle back and just stick to the shooting budget, if there is such a thing. If there are any malfunctions, how long is it really going to take for them to show up? Who knows the magic round count or exact process. We just follow a list or rule of thumb that some guy made up, with all due respect.

I am skeptical and am just asking for some good arguments for the validity of all these procedures and what seems like voodoo ceremonies with new guns.

Default actually

Quote Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post
    My point was the immediacy of it, even recruiting a friend to help reach the prescribed round count. It's like you leave the gun store, figuratively speaking, with the gun and this big stash of ammo that is virtually part of the purchase. Break-in is treated as a rite.

It seems to me that a mag or two of various ammo options, seeing what works (or not), plus a box, maybe two to get comfortable with it, and one can settle back and just stick to the shooting budget, if there is such a thing. If there are any malfunctions, how long is it really going to take for them to show up? Who knows the magic round count or exact process. We just follow a list or rule of thumb that some guy made up, with all due respect.

I am skeptical and am just asking for some good arguments for the validity of all these procedures and what seems like voodoo ceremonies with new guns.
    there is no round count that says your weapon is broken in. Your right on tha tpoint, if you feel a couple magazines is all that is needed for "yor" guns to be reliable or not reliable than that is your breakin method. Most guns as u know are perfect out of the box and I feel the mfg-er want one to put a few hundred rounds down range just as a procautionary measure to let all parts melts in with eachother as designed. My Para gave issues from the git go and the factory people told me to call them back when i get 500 roounds through it. It got alot better in that time period butnever was right.

It is not strange to read on this forum and many others where a poster reports that in his forst 50 rounds he had so and so issues but after a 100+ or 200+ the gun is perfect. Sometimes certain guns just need those rounds to be totally reliable. If a person buys a gun and shoots 50 rounds and get a few issues and sends it back, that is his decision .

I think we all have our own limits of what we expect from a gun, some are more patient and willing and if that incurs addtional cost of rounds down range, so be it, so will choose to box it right back up and take it back or send it in. The most perfect gun can break on the very next shot, so nothing is for certain..

I sure don't think 200 rounds for break in menas all 200 in one day or even two, just a message to let the reader know to shoot the gun for awhile before pushign the panic button.

As far as the immediacy of doing it, kinda depends on how soon you want to carry it. I never subscribed to a preset round count, but do feel that some are needed. I for one like to play with a new toy.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by at_liberty View Post

You are right to think there is no magic or prescribed number of rounds but like many other things in life there is a probability involved; if there is a problem with the gun it has a bigger chance to show up in 200 rounds than in 20 rounds, at list at the beginning.
    If you have two failures in 20 rounds is it a problem or just a glitch?......if you have the same two failures in 200 rounds is probably just a glitch but if you have 10 failures in 200 rounds (2 for every 20 rounds), you might want to take a closer look at the gun.
    In any case the only way to know is putting enough rounds where the probabilities will show a trend, is certainly not 100% fail proof but what is?
    And then is the second part of the equation where after many rounds the gun starts to have fatigue of the parts and goes in to the law of diminishing returns, here is where maintenance starts to play an important role but that is a completely different discussion.
    Back to the point, I don't think is a rite but a deliberate effort to try to predict the chances of a failure (emphasis on the word "try").
    If you can only choose from two guns to protect you and your family, are you going to choose the one that had 1 failure in 10 or the one that had 1 failure in 100?
    Again no guarantee that the second one is not going to fail but everything in life is about chances.