Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace

Thread: Failures to Feed

Default Failures to Feed

Many of you have complained about your Kahr pistol having failures to feed and failures to return to battery. This is a portion of an article from Brownell's on 1911 extractor problems and their fixes, but It applies to all semi-automatic pistols. I will provide a link to the entire article below. I hope that this article is of help.

FAILURE TO FEED
    In most instances, an extractor that is adjusted too tightly (too much extractor tension) will cause a failure to feed. In this condition, the case head is not allowed to travel up, into the breech face because the rim of the cartridge never becomes fully-seated under the extractor hook.

Excessive extractor tension can also cause the extractor to dig into the cartridge rim, which is made of brass. This will cause inconsistent feeding or an intermittent feeding problem.

Refer to View “A”. This illustration shows the end of the extractor as if you were looking at the breech face from the muzzle end but it shows the extractor hook only. You will see on the left what the majority of extractor hooks are machined like. We want to radius the lower portion of the hook as shown in the illustration on the right. This area, when left with a sharp transition, can dig into brass and impede feeding.

The second problem area, View “B” is a view of the extractor from the same vantage point with the hook removed. You will see a small bevel where the case slides up the extractor face that usually has a sharp intersection. I take a small needle file and radius this intersection to smooth up the transition point.

When examining your brass you will find small dings on the rim of your brass, this is the area of the extractor that causes it. Similarly with the hook not being radiused you will find small dings in the web of your brass.

http://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn/...aspx?lid=10261
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Very informative write up Muggsy. .........Thanks
    To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.

SHOOT STRAIGHT, RIDE SAFE

Quote Originally Posted by Popeye View Post
    Very informative write up Muggsy. .........Thanks
    Not a problem. I'm here to help. Once in a great while I make a worth while contribution. Mostly not.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Default Failure to feed (solved)

I saw this post or similar one the other day. My PM 40 has had ongoing difficulty with intermittent issues of FTF.

I had polished the ramp with rouge, installed heavier Wolff springs, everything helped but nothing cured.

I got out a glock 40 and fed brass into the bottom of the slide while disassembled The Glock has been super reliable. I did the same thing with the PM40 and the effort was 3x higher it felt like.

So I polished the ends of the extractor spring and even a bit on the rear follower. It didn't help. I had only taken off about .012" total. I reassembled it and it felt basiclally the same as before. I was scraping brass as it entered.

I looked at the extractor itself and thought why don't I use my stone on the bevel where before it entered the extractor abruptly it now enters gradually.

It is still somewhat heavier to insert brass into the extractor than the Glock but it is about 2x as smooth as before...

I shot it for a few minutes and had no failures... time will tell.
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”

― Dalai Lama XIV (as told to high school students.)

Muggys, thanks for the information.
    I haven't had the problem with my Karh PM9 but I did have it with a Xdm 45 and the Springfield factory took care of the issue. However, I know feel like I have a MUCH better handle on what was happening.

Aren't you the one who provided a link on a gun cleaning u-tube?
    If you are the culprit could you re-post it or tell me how to find the link. I tried to search the forum but I came up empty.

Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by AIRret View Post
    Muggys, thanks for the information.
    I haven't had the problem with my Karh PM9 but I did have it with a Xdm 45 and the Springfield factory took care of the issue. However, I know feel like I have a MUCH better handle on what was happening.

Aren't you the one who provided a link on a gun cleaning u-tube?
    If you are the culprit could you re-post it or tell me how to find the link. I tried to search the forum but I came up empty.
    I'm not sure that I'm the one in question. I did post a link to a You Tube video on gun lubrication if that's the one you are referring to.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQuNgXqWPEo

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

aw come on muggs, u ain't smart enough to post a video. GB6491 is but u ain't. Tinman is, but u ain't, Ol Jocko is but u ainj't. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    aw come on muggs, u ain't smart enough to post a video. GB6491 is but u ain't. Tinman is, but u ain't, Ol Jocko is but u ainj't. Just sayin
    The proof is in the puddin, puddin head. I posted a link in the post right above yours. Are you daft, man? Now I have to admit that I'm not smart enough to post a picture, but I can link with the best of them. Kinda like you and yer sheep.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Default Failures to Feed

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    The proof is in the puddin, puddin head. I posted a link in the post right above yours. Are you daft, man? Now I have to admit that I'm not smart enough to post a picture, but I can link with the best of them. Kinda like you and yer sheep.

Jocko is "linked" to his sheep!?! Now *there* is a mental image that's going to need suppressing. Where did my cheese grater go?
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I love my COUNTRY...but I don't trust my GOVERNMENT.