Magnum Research new   CrossBreed Holsters   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: CW45 extractor broke

I don't think that they break into pieces... just get blown out. I only found the one out of three and it was fine. Those things are hard to see in the debris at the range. One of those strong magnet things they use to pick up nails after roofing might find the extractor.

I tried laying an extractor on the floor so I could see what it looked like, but there was so much junk on the range floor, there could have been a dozen of them out there and I couldn't see them.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Damn, I really want to find it to have a spare.

Look hard and you'll find it. Remember it's always in the last place you look.

A magnet might come in handy. What's the ground like where you were shooting? Grass, sand, much traffic when not shooting.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

I was shooting up in the mountains/woods, I was actually shooting off a large boulder that's half in and half out of the ground after I stepped on the hornets nest and got stung I didn't want to take any chances.

The ground is covered in dead leaves, the last time I went picking around up there looking for a loose round I found a snake in the leaves, I doubt I will ever find it but next time I'm up there I will look anyway, it's up there someplace!

Didnt find the lost extractor, but the new one worked great, 50 rounds fired, had 1 fail to feed, a nose dive, I was using the ACT officer mags, so I'm chalking that one up to the mag, all other rounds worked fine.

Default Extractor Blow-out

I currently have this issue with my CW45. I can fire low recoil Federal 165gr Hydra-Shoc JHP with no issues, but as soon as I try any (Winchester, Blazer, Perfecta, etc.) 230gr FMJ the extractor gets blown out EVERY time, without fail. It does not matter what brand of 230gr ammo it is, the result is the same. I have replaced the extractor, extractor spring, extractor pin and extractor pin (back) 3 times already. I would guess that I have less than 300 round through this firearm. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Seriously considering selling for something else. Unfortunately this has been nothing but trouble since I got it. I cannot even take it to the range to practice with it because Hydra-Shoc JHP are too expensive to practice with.
    Last edited by AZDesertShooters; 08-29-2017 at 01:52 PM. Reason: more info needed

Quote Originally Posted by AZDesertShooters View Post
    I currently have this issue with my CW45. I can fire low recoil Federal 165gr Hydra-Shoc JHP with no issues, but as soon as I try any (Winchester, Blazer, Perfecta, etc.) 230gr FMJ the extractor gets blown out EVERY time, without fail. It does not matter what brand of 230gr ammo it is, the result is the same. I have replaced the extractor, extractor spring, extractor pin and extractor pin (back) 3 times already. I would guess that I have less than 300 round through this firearm. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Seriously considering selling for something else. Unfortunately this has been nothing but trouble since I got it. I cannot even take it to the range to practice with it because Hydra-Shoc JHP are too expensive to practice with.
    Welcome to the forums!

Some thoughts as to your extractor issue:
    Please don't feel slighted, but I would first like to ask if you have verified that the extractor parts have been assembled correctly: in particular, the orientation of the pin directly behind the extractor:

Have you inspected the extractor tunnel in the slide to see if there is anything there the extractor parts might hand up on?
    Any damage/wear to the pocket the extractor sits in?

Have you tried a plunk test with the the 230 grain stuff?
    What does the fired 230 grain brass look like? Any bulging?

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I was going to suggest this very thing but as usual your pictures help immensely. It's very easy to get that first pin incorrectly oriented.

Since there are no issues with the low recoil stuff I assume it's correct but certainly worth double checking.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

My cw380 extractor sheared off midway down and at a clean angle. Kahr was great and sent me a new one.