Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: polymer parts & cleaning supplies

I like weapon sheild.......because it smells real good. It cleans great and it is a nice slick lubricant. It is more then a giant can of stuff for 3 bucks but over the course of a year it barely matters. But thats just me.

RCG
    .......It's that you shot!

Stay thirsty my friend!

99% of the Liberals give the rest of them a bad name

Do you use it like a cologne... that armed and manly scent??
    Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

That brings to mind the new "wipes" and "sniffers" they are going to be using in the airport screenings now. You don't want to wear "range" clothes or go from the range to flying without a complete shower and different clothes. This could be a real delay and aggravation at the airport.
    My wife had extra scrutiny... not a body search... returning from her folks in Colorado. they burn their trash and she had been doing that to "help out" while outside smoking. That was about 2 1/2 years ago!
    Of course, to avoid "profiling", they'll be doing these checks on EVERYONE... well, maybe not "Muslim-looking" people!
    Where's Bawanna' and his new toy? I hope he doesn't get a ticket or have a wreck!
    Wynn
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Thanks for all the responses.

I have seen the Kahr 10 point lube diagram. It only shows 1 lube point for the frame, that being the guide rails.

Are there any photos of where to lube on the frame, should I completely de-grease/lube it? I mean besides just spraying with a can of lube......what if I wanted to judiciously apply lube at specific points, what points would they be?

BTW, we got my wife's CW45 back from Kahr and they replaced the trigger bar this time. Hope to get to the range soon and back to the business of shooting holes in paper.....both of us.

The guide rails could use some kind of grease on them and in the little grooves at the front of the slide that engage the metal rails. I put some white lithium grease in those areas and in the grooves and on the plastic rails. I put a drop or so of oil on the trigger spring, the trigger bar and the upper outside right of the frame where part of the trigger bar or whatever shows... and on the cam/sear. I work the trigger a bit and then carefully sling the excess off into a paper towel, trying not to throw the pistol, and then wipe the everything down. Everyone has his own favorite lubes and procedures, so there are a lot of variations, but you want to lube everything that moves and rubs together, short of spraying anything into the striker housing that will capture crud and cause a jam there. I've sprayed Remington DriLube in there, but most agree that it should be pretty dry. There are a lot of tiny bits of copper and brass that wind up in that area and the non-chlorinated brake cleaner can blast most of that out of the front and back of the striker channel/tunnel.
    Wynn

Thomas Jefferson said

and

I also use a daub a TW25b on both the two front and the two small rearmost rails. That along with a thin layer of Militec-1 oil in the four grooves seems to work well. The polymer rails need no lube.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

Default if

Quote Originally Posted by VAguy View Post
    Thanks for all the responses.

I have seen the Kahr 10 point lube diagram. It only shows 1 lube point for the frame, that being the guide rails.

Are there any photos of where to lube on the frame, should I completely de-grease/lube it? I mean besides just spraying with a can of lube......what if I wanted to judiciously apply lube at specific points, what points would they be?

BTW, we got my wife's CW45 back from Kahr and they replaced the trigger bar this time. Hope to get to the range soon and back to the business of shooting holes in paper.....both of us.
    u pay attention to what Wyn just stated, you need go no further with the lower section of your kahr, You can spray clean every part of that gun without disasembly. One can avoid putting any grease ont eh polymer rails IMO as they serve no purpose other than guiding the slide ont he gun. Once on the slide should never touch those rails. If by chance there are some sliver on the polymer rails , you can take some very fine sand paper and just smooth that down, or the slide from firing it will also smooth out any high spots on those polymer rails. That lube diagrahm is the best, if you adhear to that you will be good to go with any semi,not just kahrs.

There are lots of great lubes out there, so find what floats your boat and just stick with it. My preference is TW25 (Mil-comm.com) as they sell that TW25 white grease in a syringe type applicator which allows me to run a small line of grease right down insdie the slide rails without making anymess. By doing that to the slide I really do not need to put any grease on the lower section at all. Also can do the same with the front rails inbedded in the frame/grip to. no mess at all..

You shold look at the kahr tech section and find the PROPPER PREPPING OFYOURNEW KAHR. there are some helpful tips there to.

so do you actually spray the polymer grip asm with the brake cleaner? i just am afraid of melting my new toy. never worried about melting the glock & had good luck with polymer safe cleaner but i recently melted a set of ruger grips with a "polymer safe" cleanser...

Default Wally World

News flash: Walmart brand Super Tech brake cleaner is offered in a non chlorinated formula (says so right on the can). Cost about $2 for a large can.

if it is non cholorinated, it is perfect for polymer. Most all spray cleaners today are non cholorinated. If you feel totaly uncomfortable using a spray cleaner that says for brakes etc, then indeed pay the $8+ bucks for a cleaner that is basically the same stuff that says for guns.

I advise with any spray cleaner to wear some rubber throw away gloves, as most clenaers will take the oil right out of your hands to. With any spray cleaner,I never get that stuff on wood grips either. as the finish used on wood grips won't hold up to most any cleaner. Course common sense should tell one that to.

I can only relate to what I have used the past 4+ years and that is the 3M non cholorinated high pressure brake claenr that one can buy at NAPA. part # 08880, it's a big black can with the most spray pressure of any cleaner I have ever used. Thats what sold me on the 3M product. Maybe most other brands have the same pressure to, I just know my GunScrubber never had this much pressure..