Xssights   Tommy Gun   Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new

Thread: Civil War Medal Claimed

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Default Civil War Medal Claimed

Here's one for someone serving in the military. I just recently claimed the civil war service medal for my great, great Grandfather Jacob (photo), who served with the Union, 1st Reg, Co E, Volunteer West VA Calvary (inscribed on the edge of his medal). See photo of the medal in the original box (top removed) issued 1865 after the war. Jacob never claimed his medal and I discovered his service records on Ancestry.com. I stumbled on a list of unclaimed medals and was able to prove direct family lineage. His medal was stored in a vault in WV and issued to me.

Jacob fought in the final battle of the war where Lee surrendered at Appomattox. He was present at Lee's surrender and marched in Washington for Grant following the war. He served under General Capehart who captured the Confederate supply train in Appomattox, then flanked the west side (1st WV marked in yellow on the map). Capehart led the 1st WV, 2nd WV, 3rd WV on the left. Pennington led the 1NY, 2nd NY, 3rd NY, and 2nd OH down the center, and General Custer flanked the right side with the 8th NY, 15th NY and 1st VT (see photo of map). I also secured a certified unfired and fired 58cal mini bullet from the battle - see photo. I have his military records and after the war Jacob elected to not purchase his horse for $3 when he mustered out 1865. He went home with his brother in law Levi, who served in the battle with him. Probably fought side by side.

They were paid $33.33 / month for their service.

(He also fought at the Battle of 5 Forks on 4/1/1865.
    He fought at Sailors Creek on 4/6/1865, where 7,700 Confederates surrendered under Gen Ewell along with 8 other Con. Generals.
    On 4/8/1865 his Company captured Lee's supply train when the battle began at Appomattox. Lee tried to break through the union calvary, but could not. 4/9/1865 Lee surrendered to Grant. Jacob also rode in the Grand Review in Washington, DC on 5/23/1865. He mustered out 7/8/1865 in Washington, DC.

What was really cool was visiting Appomattox with my oldest son Chad on our way home from FL. We also stopped at Gettysburg.

GGGF Jacob's medal is finally home. Levi's was never claimed. No known family members are existing. They probably never realized they had medals coming to them. Jacob was 26 yrs old at the time. His military records show his occupation as boilermaker for the engines of the railroad prior to his service. He was originally from Switzerland and lived in Hughestown, PA. He lived in the times of Jesse and Frank James of the James Gang.

Pretty Cool?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"