Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Civil War Medal Claimed

A lot of great people have sacrificed HUGELY to make this country great!!!!!!!!!!

What's going on now is a disgraced to those brave souls!

I got interested in the Civil War when Ken Burns documentary came out, and since then I've enjoyed reading many books on the subject including everything Shelby Foote wrote.
    Shelby Foote sure makes the war come alive.
    I've been lucky enough to visit some battle sites and hope to see many more before my time is up.

Thanks for sharing.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

I was once told that Custer was in command of the entire Calvary, but my ggGrandfather's Calvary division flanked the left side under General Capehart. Custer's Calvary division was on the far right side. But I guess anything is possible. I guess Custer could have kept Lee's white flag...anything's possible. Interesting history of that time....and I used to HATE history back in grade school. They never seemed to make it real. Now I look at things much differently and really enjoy learning about this stuff.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I read he wasn't in charge of the whole deal, just one part of it. Apparently he was in Grants good graces along with his wife.

I think he just ended up being the one to actually receive the flag or he got it from Grant.

I did read where his wife got the little table used at signing. I'm sure it's in a museum someplace.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I read he wasn't in charge of the whole deal, just one part of it. Apparently he was in Grants good graces along with his wife.

I think he just ended up being the one to actually receive the flag or he got it from Grant.

I did read where his wife got the little table used at signing. I'm sure it's in a museum someplace.
    You might be interested in these photos. The first is the McLean House where the actual surrender took place and was signed. Some think it took place in the court house which is the taller building (3rd photo). These buildings were destroyed in the war, but reconstructed. There is a simulated painting of the surrender and picture of the Lee surrender table attached also. This was in the original town of Appomattox which was basically a small stage coach town. The original stage coach road is still there too. Lawyer homes/offices, stables, general store, jail, etc... I will send the picture of Grant's signature table in the next post.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Grant's table at the surrender.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I'm thinking if Custer rode off with a table balanced on his head for his wife it had to be Grants table. Lee's table looks way too heavy.

The reference I read didn't indicate two separate tables and didn't say there was two tables.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Probably more concerned about the marble top table Lee used to sign the document. Pencil he used is also in the museum. Highly unlikely that they got Cozy up to one table. They never even got together on the same battlefield, so it is unlikely that sat together at the same table when the surrender was signed. Lee was an honorable man and Grant recognized and respected that. I'm confident that they got down to business about the terms in a respectful way and at arms distance. The home was owned by a wealthy businessman and was probably well furnished for its' time. Everything I read says they two sides were on opposite sides of the room. Thus, more likely there were two tables. The Appomattox site is worth seeing, but it is WAY off the interstates and out in the boonies. My son and I enjoyed seeing it and it turned out to be well worth the journey.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I'd love to see it but alas the chances of me being on that side of the continent in my time remaining are very slim.
    Many of those places, Gettysburg etc I'd love to visit but most likely I'll have to stick to the books.

I visited Hannibal Missouri a few times, went through the Mark Twain caves and several historical landmarks, it was awe inspiring to me.

A friend visited Gettysburg last year and him talking about it really opened my eyes. I don't think we can comprehend what they went through. After these battles with 1000's of dead men and horses left for small towns to deal with. Not much infrastructure, none of the modern stuff we have today to deal with the dead.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

Just to sustain one's family was tough enough. Picking coal in buckets to provide heat. Tough times indeed. This new generation of kids who don't want to work...they have no clue.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Being at Gettysburg was a real spiritual experience for me. Those I was with also felt that the area felt sacred and the spirit of the fallen seem close at hand.
    It's hard to explain!