CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: uh-oh now i'm hooked, first IDPA match

Default uh-oh now i'm hooked, first IDPA match

So, shot my first IDPA match today and to totally embarrass myself I shot my TP9. Fate decided that for me. I had packed up both the TP9 and CZ P-01 last night and figured I'd decide when I got there. Last night, decided to do some 'mag drop practice' w/ the CZ and put it back in the wrong range bag last night. Grabbed the other bag in a rush this morning an made it to the shoot w/ the TP9, 4 mags for it...and half a dozen CZ mags (doh!). So, left me no choice but to shoot the TP9.

That being said, actually pretty happy w/ the day. Having to shoot the Kahr trigger it forced me to slow down...a lot...compared to how I shoot the CZ on a typical trip to the range. So it worked out I guess.

I knew it wasn't going to be a great day being my first match and having the TP, but I really felt like I did pretty well all things considered. probably shot 60-70% 0 down over the 6 stages. Only called down once for being out of cover. One stage with some 'coyotes' about 30 feet out, totally missed 3 of 11, but not gonna cry over that. The other 8 were kill shots. Funny thing, after all my practice and years and years of shooting, I almost NEVER saw my sights today. At first, it really unsettled me. Then I kinda got into a groove and didn't let it bother me, I was hitting well enough. Mostly, my problem was keeping myself slowed down and then having to solve the problems or keep from forgetting to shoot something. THAT was a huge challenge for me. One stage I flat out didn't complete...just totally forgot to take a final shot at the last two targets to get the minimum hits per target on the stage, yet I had plenty of ammo left. Dummy.

All in all, I have to say I'm hooked. I'll definitely be shooting the TP again, but will definitely take the CZ next time

Sounds like fun. I've been thinking of giving match shooting a shot also.

CZ's are amazing. I shot a CZ PO 1 Tac. and Hubby shot a CZ 75 B at a class and they are great!!!
    Last spring we took a IDPA class and really enjoyed it......but we are traveling much of the time so it will have to wait!! (SAD)
    But, IDPA is my first choice for comp. IT seems more like real world!
    Keep us posted on your progress, and good luck!

Thanks. Will do (on my progress).

Not sure whether I'll like IDPA or USPSA more over the long haul. One of the private ranges here runs both once a month on different days. USPSA is in two weeks. Not sure if I'll make that or not. I lead a pretty hectic life. But I'm definitely going back.

I have to say I highly recommend it. If not just for fun, to get more comfortable w/ your firearm and to get more variation that what you can do on your own at the range. Anytime I go to the range I'm a member at and nobody is there, I do what I can to 'move and shoot' and try to mimic some of what I've seen at IDPA on YouTube. Not sure if it helped much, but I really feel pretty good about the day.

I went in w/ a LOT of hesitation, fear of embarrassment, etc. The folks there were very encouraging, not once did anybody make me feel unwelcome or inferior. I was 1 of about 5 new folks with a total of maybe 60 shooters in all. I did get a couple of good natured comments. One about how quickly a Kahr runs out of gas (rounds), but I was only 2 rounds short of everybody else (per mag)...but I found that was a pretty big disadvantage if you are there to really compete against other folks. I was only there today to push myself. But one guy on one of my stages commented that I was shooting the lowest capacity gun there that day and he was impressed at how well it worked for me...so that made me feel pretty good too.

All in all, best range day I've had in awhile. Was getting really bored with the ho-hum pinging steel and shooting paper. This was a hoot.

I can understand the feeling. I shoot USPSA. I started about 13 months ago. It's a lot of fun.
    A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will probably never need one again.

I think I may like USPSA better once I try it. Less to keep up with. One of the things today was just having to think about everything. dropping a loaded mag, being sure I was always behind cover, how many shots were required per target, which way to shoot a stage (closest to farthest vs first visible), etc. I mean, good exercises definitely, but when the day was over I was mentally DONE. felt like it had been an overly stimulating work day. I was/am tired.

I didn't want to bash IDPA, buuuuuuutt USPSA is a lot more fun as far as I'm concerned. Pretty much for all the reasons you stated. You just go out there and have at it. The other thing with USPSA is you get more points for your B,C&D shots if you shoot anything bigger then a 9mm. I use a Glock 35 40S&W.
    A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will probably never need one again.

Yea, the few folks I talked with there yesterday that shoot both said the same thing you did...USPSA much more of a fun, relaxing Saturday. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    So, shot my first IDPA match today and to totally embarrass myself I shot my TP9. Fate decided that for me. I had packed up both the TP9 and CZ P-01 last night and figured I'd decide when I got there. Last night, decided to do some 'mag drop practice' w/ the CZ and put it back in the wrong range bag last night. Grabbed the other bag in a rush this morning an made it to the shoot w/ the TP9, 4 mags for it...and half a dozen CZ mags (doh!). So, left me no choice but to shoot the TP9.

That being said, actually pretty happy w/ the day. Having to shoot the Kahr trigger it forced me to slow down...a lot...compared to how I shoot the CZ on a typical trip to the range. So it worked out I guess.

I knew it wasn't going to be a great day being my first match and having the TP, but I really felt like I did pretty well all things considered. probably shot 60-70% 0 down over the 6 stages. Only called down once for being out of cover. One stage with some 'coyotes' about 30 feet out, totally missed 3 of 11, but not gonna cry over that. The other 8 were kill shots. Funny thing, after all my practice and years and years of shooting, I almost NEVER saw my sights today. At first, it really unsettled me. Then I kinda got into a groove and didn't let it bother me, I was hitting well enough. Mostly, my problem was keeping myself slowed down and then having to solve the problems or keep from forgetting to shoot something. THAT was a huge challenge for me. One stage I flat out didn't complete...just totally forgot to take a final shot at the last two targets to get the minimum hits per target on the stage, yet I had plenty of ammo left. Dummy.

All in all, I have to say I'm hooked. I'll definitely be shooting the TP again, but will definitely take the CZ next time
    Your story reminded me of a sign that was posted in one of my places of employment. It read, "All that this organization needs is a little organization." I always try to make haste slowly.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    Your story reminded me of a sign that was posted in one of my places of employment. It read, "All that this organization needs is a little organization." I always try to make haste slowly.
    Yea, tell me about it. It was like one of those despair.com posters when I stepped out of the car, got to the safe area and opened up my bag to find tons of CZ mags, loaded, ready to go, and no CZ pistol. I almost got back in the car and headed for home I was so disgusted.