CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights   Tommy Gun
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: uh-oh now i'm hooked, first IDPA match

Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    Yea, tell me about it. It was like one of those despair.com posters when I stepped out of the car, got to the safe area and opened up my bag to find tons of CZ mags, loaded, ready to go, and no CZ pistol. I almost got back in the car and headed for home I was so disgusted.
    That brings back memories of a good friend. He worked private security. They qualified annually and the range was quite a drive from where we lived. He had always wanted to try out my S&W Model 60, so he asked to take it with him to shoot after qualifying. I didn't mind, so he picked it and a box of .357 up on qual day. You've probably guessed by now that when he got to the range he discovered that he'd left his duty piece (S&W5906) at home. He ended up qualifying with that little snubbie, but bitched about his hands hurting. Turns out it didn't occur to him to use .38 Special in it so he had just bought more .357 for the course he was shooting.
    I don't remember him ever asking to borrow the Model 60 again.
    Thanks for bringing that episode to mind again
    Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

I didn't know they made the 60 in 357. That would be a handful for sure.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

been thinking about that for awhile chrish. Thanks for the encouragement.
    ​O|||||||O

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I didn't know they made the 60 in 357. That would be a handful for sure.
    Mine is a 60-9. That's a "Magnum" J frame which is about an 1/8" bigger than the older frame (which I don't think they make any 60s on anymore).

Regards,
    Greg
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Yea, if I'd have arrived with only a .357 revolver...big or small...I can guarantee you I would have turned tail and gone home. No way I'd have spent the day reloading a revolver (cuz we know ida left the speed loaders at home too) and taking that kind of punishment on my hand and wrists.

Here's a video from the last match. I wear a camera on my hat when shooting the steel stages. When shooting at paper it's not too entertaining. I was having a problem with my accuracy so I moved, on settled down and came back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DomwbPuBjUo
    A gun is like a parachute, if you need one and don't have one you will probably never need one again.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

IDPA is fun stuff. Great for training and building gun handling skills. I am sure the same is true for other handgun shooting sports. Good stuff. These are aspects of guns that the anti folks ignore or are ignorant about. It is a great sport and lots of healthy fun.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

There's a BUG match nearby in about a month and I think I'll go. It will be my first IDPA. What's the difference in a BUG match? Is it just the number of rounds in your mag (5)? Or do you really shoot your pocket pistol? I scanned the IDPA rules and didn't find a clear description. Sounds like fun!
    ​O|||||||O

I'll have to see if there's a USPSA club here and check it out. IDPA is fun and all, but with 130 shooters in 5 bays, we're there for six hours to shoot a cumulative of less than five minutes. That feels like a waste of a day, to me.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    There's a BUG match nearby in about a month and I think I'll go. It will be my first IDPA. What's the difference in a BUG match? Is it just the number of rounds in your mag (5)? Or do you really shoot your pocket pistol? I scanned the IDPA rules and didn't find a clear description. Sounds like fun!
    I'd get in touch with the local shooting group to find out more details. The guy who runs the shoot will be helpful to prep you. Many matches require new shooters to arrive early to receive special safety instructions, learn the commands, etc.... Probably a good idea to contact them before you go so you don't waste your time.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"