Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: uh-oh now i'm hooked, first IDPA match

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    There's a BUG match nearby in about a month and I think I'll go. It will be my first IDPA. What's the difference in a BUG match? Is it just the number of rounds in your mag (5)? Or do you really shoot your pocket pistol? I scanned the IDPA rules and didn't find a clear description. Sounds like fun!
    Our is pretty informal, if you don't have a BUG you can shoot what you want, but the BUG still has to be 9mm/.38 or higher caliber (no .22s or .380s). The match is designed for 5 or 6 round capacities, less about tactical reloads.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I'll have to see if there's a USPSA club here and check it out. IDPA is fun and all, but with 130 shooters in 5 bays, we're there for six hours to shoot a cumulative of less than five minutes. That feels like a waste of a day, to me.
    I've been to a number of IDPA shoots with that many shooters, but did not spend that much time on the range. Usually done in 2-3 hours if organized properly. Time well spent. Never gone past noon on a morning shoot starting at 9:30am. I've never seen a shoot where things did not move right along very smoothly and in a fun way.

Never shot it, but I'm sure USPSA is a lot of fun too. Different games, that's all. Both fun and great gun handling practice. Certainly some folks like one better than the other for different reasons.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Quote Originally Posted by garyb View Post
    I've been to a number of IDPA shoots with that many shooters, but did not spend that much time on the range. Usually done in 2-3 hours if organized properly. Time well spent. Never gone past noon on a morning shoot starting at 9:30am. I've never seen a shoot where things did not move right along very smoothly and in a fun way.

Never shot it, but I'm sure USPSA is a lot of fun too. Different games, that's all. Both fun and great gun handling practice. Certainly some folks like one better than the other for different reasons.
    Wow, our match director needs to talk to your match director. We're there from 9 to 2 or 3pm.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

Garyb, johnr, thanks!
    ​O|||||||O

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Some of the guys stay past lunch to shoot another round for fun if the match director gives them a go. Usually don't hold any afternoon relays past noon.
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Match I was just at lasted until nearly 2, probably 1:30-ish. Meetings were beginning around 9:30, probably first rounds fired by 10-10:15.

They also run USPSA where I went, so I might try that at some point, but will definitely have to remember to bag the CZ going to those. I expect I'd be laughed out of the area bringing a Kahr to a USPSA shoot.

I'd get in touch with the local shooting group to find out more details. The guy who runs the shoot will be helpful to prep you. Many matches require new shooters to arrive early to receive special safety instructions, learn the commands, etc.... Probably a good idea to contact them before you go so you don't waste your time.
    Ditto on that! While I had watched IDPA and USPSA on the 'tubes' before I even considered going to the local match, the info gained from my friend that shoots it (and acts as a RO/SO at the matches) was way more helpful to have before I arrived. All clubs are just a little different, some are IDPA rule sticklers and others are not. They all run their prelim shooter meetings differently, etc.

So definitely what garyb said, find someone that goes frequently, or the match organizer, and get some info up front about what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by chrish View Post
    Match I was just at lasted until nearly 2, probably 1:30-ish. Meetings were beginning around 9:30, probably first rounds fired by 10-10:15.
    Yes Chrish, 10 to 1:30 is about 3 1/2 hours. Closer to what I would expect (as I stated 2-3 hrs). I would add that anything up to 4 hours long is not at all unreasonable.
    But I do agree with JohnR...6 hrs is too long a day, considering the amount of time any one shooter is on the line.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Yes Chrish, 10 to 1:30 is about 3 1/2 hours. Closer to what I would expect (as I stated 2-3 hrs). I would add that anything up to 4 hours long is not at all unreasonable.
    But I do agree with JohnR...6 hrs is too long a day, considering the amount of time any one shooter is on the line.
    Yea, I was WIPED after it was over. Most of the time, standing around in the sun (although a pretty day) waiting. We had about 60 shooters give-or-take that day and 6 stages. I imagine if you have closer to 100, you'd definitely be there all day. I will definitely be monitoring that as I attend more. If it looks like a BIG crowd, I may well pack up and head home. Don't want to loose a 6+ hour Saturday. Then again, it was a hoot.

I think November here is a night shoot. Flashlights, no weapon mounted lights allowed (not sure why, being IDPA and all).

One other suggestion, take some snacks and water. I was hurtin' by the end on just a pack of pb crackers and a 16oz water.

Question for folks shooting IDPA. What setup do you run (belt, mag holders, holster). I went w/ exactly what I carry (TP9, Remora, standard belt). But I already know that my CZ, while it carries well in my Remora #10, won't do well holstering/re-holstering over and over in a standard non-gun belt. Remora is fine for carrying the CZ when you are guaranteed to not really be accessing it frequently, just not repeated use over hours.

Anyway, thinking about just getting a Wilderness/5.11 heavy duty nylon belt and just using a nylon mag carrier I have w/ the flaps tucked in. For now.

Problem is finding something decent OWB holster-wise for either the TP9 or CZ P-01. Not much out there for those guns. Seriously looking at Old Faithful OWB for both.