Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: uh-oh now i'm hooked, first IDPA match

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I shoot my EDC CM9 in BUG/MM,I use one of my EDC holsters, IWB hybred, made by a fellow shooter, on a 5:11 1.5 dress belt for matches although I also use a Rosen OWB pancake, and a 5:11 fuzzy holster for pocket carry (it sticks to velcro when in the car) stays upright as some of my pants pockets are snug; my carry mag holder is a Leatherman pouch carried horizontally on the belt @9:00 flap to rear, bullets down.

for matches, I use 4 7rd.(6rd.loaded) extnd. mags, (easier to grab) bullets front, in vertical nylon knife pouches w/cut off'd flaps, the most forward is 9:00, the rearmost is the load & make ready mag; my IWB/OWB are worn @ 4:00 always.
    my IWB is a faster draw then the Rosen which is still pretty stiff yet(former USPSA gamer) I should start using it more to break it in, and pocket holsters are unacceptable for safety reasons in IDPA. hope this will give you some ideas to start from.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

I use a comp-tac OWB (not a paddle) IDPA holster set which includes their mag pouches...with my S&W M&P40PRO. Dawson front sight. Factory flat black back sight. Puffy reloads. The Comp-tac is made specifically for the gun. You might check with them to see what they have for your guns. A lot of guys stick with Fobus or Blackhawk.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

garyb, thanks!

Funny, I had gone back and ran across another thread you had posted in about the Comp-Tac rig you run, but I had also JUST ordered an International and two tek-lok mag carriers right before finding that thread.

I did some reading last night and this morning. I used to run an Infidel w/ my PM9 and P9, but switched to Remora for my daily carry holster. Was always happy w/ the Infidel, but sold it to another member here last year. But always had been happy w/ the construction of that Comp-Tac holster. I'm so 'instant gratification', while I might like an Old Faithful, wasn't willing to wait weeks for it. Some of the other options I found were Custom Carry Concepts and LHS Holsters, both make a taco/kydex solution for the P-01. Again, as much as an 8 week wait for them.

I really wanted to find something 'dual purpose' like a Raven Phantom, that would ride high for concealed carry for those rare occasions when I want to carry the CZ OWB. But I'll be happy w/ this either way and I think it'll work better if I tackle USPSA at some point.

I went w/ the Infidel initially b/c of Comp-Tacs reputation in the shooting competitions...so I expect the International will live up to the few pretty stellar reviews of it out there.

Default Me Too!

Shot my first IDPA match today. I am hooked too. It was a BUG match. You had to shoot around a car door - holding a baby, then seated across a poker table, plus six other defensive scenarios. It was a blast. Thanks chrish for getting me off my but. One more week and I would have missed the whole season. Oh, by the way. I brought the right gun, mags, ammo, holster, etc. Helps to pack your bag the night before.
    ​O|||||||O

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by b4uqzme View Post
    Shot my first IDPA match today. I am hooked too. It was a BUG match. You had to shoot around a car door - holding a baby, then seated across a poker table, plus six other defensive scenarios. It was a blast. Thanks chrish for getting me off my but. One more week and I would have missed the whole season. Oh, by the way. I brought the right gun, mags, ammo, holster, etc. Helps to pack your bag the night before.
    I don't consider it so much as competition as I do training for gun handling skills. Great practice. Should be standard training for LEO's. Lots of fun...I totally agree. It can turn into a competitive deal very quickly....so hang in there and keep going AND remember to pack your bag, haha..
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Mr funny man! hehe. Glad you had fun.

I didn't get to go to the October match and the November match next weekend is at night (flashlight shooting). Not sure I want to tackle that just yet but I bet it'll be a hoot. I'm going to start up again in January. One of the guys told me that the season here starts slow/easy (January) and gets progressively more complex.

In the meantime, I think I might try my hand at USPSA later this month. I picked up a new rig (comp-tac international + mag holders) up a couple weeks back for my P-01. USPSA is in a couple of weeks, so maybe...will have to see.

Really. I had to shoot one handed while holding a baby (doll). I cleared that stage in a pretty respectable time. I really didn't make any glaring errors but there was one stage where you had to hit a target twice before it went away and I was too slow and only got one on. That cost me a 5 second penalty. The k40 ran perfect. My brother in law accidentally hit his safety when he holstered his M&P Shield. It took him what seemed like forever to figure out what was wrong. Just reinforces that manual safeties aren't a good idea on a carry piece.
    ​O|||||||O

Really. I had to shoot one handed while holding a baby (doll). I cleared that stage in a pretty respectable time. I really didn't make any glaring errors but there was one stage where you had to hit a target twice before it went away and I was too slow and only got one on. That cost me a 5 second penalty. The k40 ran perfect. My brother in law accidentally hit his safety when he holstered his M&P Shield. It took him what seemed like forever to figure out what was wrong. Just reinforces that manual safeties aren't a good idea on a carry piece.

HA! Yea, I meant 'funny man' about your comment about taking all the right gear and packing the night before...figured you were poking fun at me on that one (which I deserve). But the baby doll thing I believed, had a couple of similar stages when I went.

I agree about the safety thing. Couple of guys in my group had issues w/ theirs as well and they were more 'experienced' folks that had competed before. I'll never have a firearm w/ a safety, carry or otherwise. I really don't keep guns that I don't consider for HD or carry. At some point, when I get old and crotchety, maybe I'll have the $ to do that, but for now, I only buy and shoot what I intend to have available for carry, home defense, or shtf...and in all 3 cases, don't want a safety involved.

Oh yeah, that I was

I guess you can train for a manual safety but I'm with you: not on my carry pieces. I've had a hankering for a CZ97 but the only one I found was a safety model so I didn't buy it. It can be kinda embarrassing on the trap range too asking for a second bird because you forgot to flip the safety... takes practice.
    ​O|||||||O

Default been

Oh yeah, that I was

I guess you can train for a manual safety but I'm with you: not on my carry pieces. I've had a hankering for a CZ97 but the only one I found was a safety model so I didn't buy it. It can be kinda embarrassing on the trap range too asking for a second bird because you forgot to flip the safety... takes practice.
    there, done that on a skeet range many times, never competitively, as I was not worth a sh!t at skeet either but it was fun. I shoot for years a 100 year old Iver Johnson Skeeter side by side. Finest factory wood anyone had ever seen, each peace serial numbered also. It was a hell of a dove gun though but not really a good skeet gun for ol jocko..

I think the day I get to serious about shooting and guns, is the day will sell um all
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY