Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: From Glock to Kahr: How to get used to the Kahr?

Default From Glock to Kahr: How to get used to the Kahr?

I have recently purchased a Kahr P9. I have been shooting Glocks for a year and train quite often in groups and private training for concealed carry and tactical training. I have always used my Glock 19. I am quite used to Glock and firing the Kahr has proven to be difficult for accurate and quick follow up shots.

I carried the 19 for a while, but after a while it became more of a hassle than I could cope with and given I'm 5'9 and 165 lbs, it prints like a mofo on me. So I went with the Kahr. The Kahr carries wonderfully! However, it is just very difficult to shoot for me. Add the fact that all of my training is done with Glocks, coming back to the Kahr just makes me feel like I'm having to relearn again and again.

For those that train regularly with Glocks and have owned or do own a kahr. Does it get easier as time goes on? I get that if you don't train tactically and regularly, this isn't that big of a deal as anyone can shoot a paper target in a standard range... But keeping muscle memory for me is a big deal. That, however, is matched with the strong desire to have a firearm that conceals well and is somewhat tolerable.

My main issues is the trigger of the Kahr. I love how smooth it is, but the really long pull and reset on it make things very difficult to get straight shots and quick follow ups without taking my time and pulling the trigger very slowly. The other issue I have is keeping a firm grip on the small frame... With the Glock, it's thick enough to where keeping a firm grip requires very little attention for me... but with smaller framed pistols, my hands feel as if they're wrapping around too much and therefore I guess my hands tend to naturally ease up on the grip to compensate... if that makes sense. But primarily, it's the trigger.

I'm quite sure that if I stopped shooting Glock all together and focused in on the Kahr, I would be fine. However, I don't think that I would want to carry the Kahr for anything other than concealed carry in the city due to the lack of capacity.

Any opinions from those in a similar situation are welcome. Any tips on getting used to the Kahr trigger are very welcome... and particularly from those that train tactically and swap back and forth between the Kahr and Glock.

My thoughts look like this: Train with the Kahr, shoot the heck out of it, then do the Glock the same way. One thing that will also help is just to handle the Kahr, dry runs etc. soon it will feel like it was made in your hand. Repetition and rounds are the best way I know of to get where you want to be.
    Attitude: it takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile...and 3 for proper trigger squeeze.

The olive branch is considered a symbol of peace, and good will. Last time I checked, it's still a switch.

Quote Originally Posted by intargc View Post
    I have recently purchased a Kahr P9. I have been shooting Glocks for a year and train quite often in groups and private training for concealed carry and tactical training. I have always used my Glock 19. I am quite used to Glock and firing the Kahr has proven to be difficult for accurate and quick follow up shots.

I carried the 19 for a while, but after a while it became more of a hassle than I could cope with and given I'm 5'9 and 165 lbs, it prints like a mofo on me. So I went with the Kahr. The Kahr carries wonderfully! However, it is just very difficult to shoot for me. Add the fact that all of my training is done with Glocks, coming back to the Kahr just makes me feel like I'm having to relearn again and again.

For those that train regularly with Glocks and have owned or do own a kahr. Does it get easier as time goes on? I get that if you don't train tactically and regularly, this isn't that big of a deal as anyone can shoot a paper target in a standard range... But keeping muscle memory for me is a big deal. That, however, is matched with the strong desire to have a firearm that conceals well and is somewhat tolerable.

My main issues is the trigger of the Kahr. I love how smooth it is, but the really long pull and reset on it make things very difficult to get straight shots and quick follow ups without taking my time and pulling the trigger very slowly. The other issue I have is keeping a firm grip on the small frame... With the Glock, it's thick enough to where keeping a firm grip requires very little attention for me... but with smaller framed pistols, my hands feel as if they're wrapping around too much and therefore I guess my hands tend to naturally ease up on the grip to compensate... if that makes sense. But primarily, it's the trigger.

I'm quite sure that if I stopped shooting Glock all together and focused in on the Kahr, I would be fine. However, I don't think that I would want to carry the Kahr for anything other than concealed carry in the city due to the lack of capacity.

Any opinions from those in a similar situation are welcome. Any tips on getting used to the Kahr trigger are very welcome... and particularly from those that train tactically and swap back and forth between the Kahr and Glock.
    I have a Glock 19 as my primary for home protection, and have trained with it tactically. I have a Kahr PM45 for carry. A P9 should be as close to a G19 as Kahr can get, and personally I am more accurate with the PM45 now because I mostly train with it. Your P9 should be more accurate than my PM45 all things considered since it has less recoil and a longer barrel. I do need to get in more dry practice with the G19 to even out my accuracy between the two. The main difference for you, IMO, is the trigger (not to mention magazine capacity). I miss the very short reset that the Glocks have but with enough practice and training with the Kahr I do not consider this a big issue. I actually like the Kahr trigger better. All I can say is the practice as much as you can with your Kahr since it is your carry weapon. 10 rounds assuming you carry a spare mag should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by hsart View Post
    10 rounds assuming you carry a spare mag should be enough.
    It's funny cause this was a big issue for me and so I started asking around and got a really good answer about capacity from my instructor that has been in many gun fights in his life time as a Marine and an Atlanta, GA officer as well as a couple as a civilian.

He said to me that most assailants travel in packs. It's very rarely 1 person confronting you. In his experience as an officer, he found it was typically 2-4 assailants against 1 person. If you have at least 8 rounds before a reload, you can give everyone a round and then everyone gets seconds.

I found that to be pretty sound advice and very in line with how I train. If there are multiple assailants, everyone gets a round and then you come back around and give everyone seconds... So, considering the P9 has 7+1 and an extra 8 round mag, this makes good sense.

You mentioned 2-4 assailants. That's why I stopped carrying the Ruger LCP.

Where are your hits on the target with the P9? If you are right handed, you may be hitting left of point of aim or low and left.

My groups at first were about 3 to 4" left of point of aim. I was sure the sights were off but I hung in there and practiced, and now my groups are more centered and tighter together.

I don't have a P9; I have a PM9 which is great for pocket carry.

Here is a history of my shooting. Compare the target photos on the first page to the 3rd page.

http://kahrtalk.com/pm-series-pistol...uracy-pm9.html

tWO different trigger systems. Glocks are easier to shoot more accurately, that being said the kahrs are very accurate , just takes more time to get to know the gun and its looooong trigger system.

I can shoot the eyes out of things with my tuned G19, best gun I have ever shot for accuracy. I can't do that with my PM9. IO shoot it good at 10 yards and under but nothing like I can do with my g19, but the PM9 is with me 24/7. that is the big difference for me between the two guns.

You keep shooting that kahr and ur groups will tighten up, just IMO don't expect the total accuracy that your glock gives you, unless u are one hell of a double action shooter for truly that is what kahrs are..
    Last edited by jocko; 05-03-2010 at 01:46 PM.

Default learnin curve with a Kahr

Intargc,

Before I got my two kahrs I was a 1911 kind of guy for many years, so my learning curve was even steeper than your transitioning from a Glock to a kahr.

Like all the boys here said, you'll get alot better after a while...just treat the Kahr like a smoothed out revolver and you'll do just fine. With a little more range time and dry fire practice you will learn to take up the slack or travel in the kahr trigger then press the trigger to touch the rounds off and get off the trigger just like a revolver. With a little practice it becomes second nature and quick follow up shots can be delivered with no problems.

To me the long heavy trigger actually helps me out. I just point and shoot, don't figure I'll have time to really aim. The long pull and extra weight lets me somewhat man handle it. I'm not a professional shooter or anywhere close, but there's something about this style of trigger that helps me stay on target when shooting multiple rounds. I can keep this guns holes tighter than any other gun I've shot when dumping clips on target. Try just letting loose on a target at about 10 yds. Forget about technique. Somehow they just fall into place. I shoot the PM40 and can say that I've put rapid fire groups of 5-6 rounds in phone book size groups at 7 yds with ease, pretty much the norm. I know thats not great for advice for longer range, but who's got time to aim when your getting shot at.

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    tWO different trigger systems. Glocks are easier to shoot more accurately, that being said the kahrs are very accurate , just takes more time to get to know the gun and its looooong trigger system.
    Very wise words....very true.

RCG
    .......It's that you shot!

Stay thirsty my friend!

99% of the Liberals give the rest of them a bad name

I can get 2-3" groupings with the Glock on a good day at about 5 yards. On a bad day it's more consistently 3" groupings. With the Kahr, it's 12". Haha. Joking a tad, but it's still really, really bad.

It's pretty consistently about 3-4" lower than where I intended to shoot. It's not really to the left all that much. It's as if when I'm pulling the trigger, it's pulling the muzzle down right at the breaking point. However, again, when I do pull it very slowly (as in, take a 2-3 seconds with each pull), I'm much more on target.

During class, we're not allowed to take that much time really. We're moving and shooting rapidly. A lot of point shooting and double and triple taps are happening. We're moving the left, right, forward, etc... They expect us to hit the target 2-5 times quickly. At times like this, I don't even know where my shots went because I don't see them on the actual target at times! Couple that with the way the first round tends to nose dive into the feed ramp when I load a new magazine and the slide isn't locked back (after a type 1 malfunction drill or even if my thumb accidentally hit the slide lock on the last round fired) and the entire class gets frustrating very quickly for me...

I know it's my doing... I'm not blaming it on the pistol by any means. I'm just not good with this long trigger pull with fast shooting. I consider myself a decent shooter and want to get the most out of my classes when I train, so it just gets frustrating and I always feel like I need to go back to my Glock or similar type trigger (I shoot 1911 and M&P just as well as the Glock and love both of those pistols as well)