Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 78

Thread: From Glock to Kahr: How to get used to the Kahr?

  1. #21
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Breakdown in the fundamentals.
    At 5 yards slow fire you should have 4 out of 5 rounds touching with a Glock 19, basically one ragged hole about an inch in diameter.

    Looking for your shots on the target is another sign that you aren't solid on your fundamentals. Looking for your shots on the target is usually associated with a poor follow through. Poor follow through is often indicated by pulling your shots low (sound familiar?).

    Get thee to a instructor who will work on your fundamentals.

    Not sure where I said I was doing slow fire with the Glock. When we train, we are generally doing point shooting and fast paced shooting. 2-3" groups at 5 yards doing that may not be excellent, but it's good and will definitely hit a bad guys vital areas.

    Maybe there is a misunderstanding... My eyes stay on the sights through the entire drill. However, after the drill is over everyone is obviously going to look at their target to see where they hit and what they need to work on. We go through 3-4 mags before the drill is over. But I'm not peeking at where I hit the target at any time until I'm done with the drill.

    I have taken many fundamental classes. I actually retake them once a year along with the conceal carry and tactical classes. My instructor isn't the problem. If the class isn't a fundamentals class, they aren't going to teach fundamentals. Again, I feel like I shoot fine with the glock. I can move a shoot at 3, 5 and 7 yards and get fist sized groups. No issue... Bring the kahr into play and I have issues...

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    329

    Default

    I have a couple of thoughts here... every 'situation' is different. I do not believe that any situational training can cover anything but rudimentary awareness and some potential responses. What I believe is important are two areas - one is absolute knowledge of your hardware from sight alignment and trigger control to emergency reloads and clearing basic malfunctions. Dry and wet practice as much as possible and continually get 'expert trainers' tune-ups from time to time to get you aware of your bad habits. The second is knowing how you would react in adrenaline inducing situations; tactical training from various sources; learn how to get in a combat mindset and stay there. Know your strengths, work on your weaknesses. Ultimately it is not the weapon but the person behind it. Anyway just a few thoughts.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    Coming from revolvers and 1911s, Glocks have always felt like the bastard stepchild to me. Kahrs have always felt "normal".
    Ok... Thanks for adding nothing to this conversation to bash on glock.

    I also shoot just fine with 1911's and love those pistols too. As well as with XD, M&P and other pistols. Whether the Glock isn't your favorite pistol doesn't really help the conversation...

  4. #24
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hsart View Post
    I have a couple of thoughts here... every 'situation' is different. I do not believe that any situational training can cover anything but rudimentary awareness and some potential responses. What I believe is important are two areas - one is absolute knowledge of your hardware from sight alignment and trigger control to emergency reloads and clearing basic malfunctions. Dry and wet practice as much as possible and continually get 'expert trainers' tune-ups from time to time to get you aware of your bad habits. The second is knowing how you would react in adrenaline inducing situations; tactical training from various sources; learn how to get in a combat mindset and stay there. Know your strengths, work on your weaknesses. Ultimately it is not the weapon but the person behind it. Anyway just a few thoughts.
    I agree with this. I am not blaiming the pistol. I'm just looking for advice on how to juggle getting used to the Kahr trigger while also shooting other shorter pill triggers like the glock or others with a similar trigger...

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    329

    Default

    For me it was constant practice with both. I can pickup up either now at random - my Glock 19 or my PM45 - and immediately have the feel for the trigger. I've run about 5000 rounds through my G19 and getting close to 2000 in my PM45 over the past 12 months, mostly range work but also including some tactical training. I do not have the accuracy of a match shooter, but I can put them where they count from my holster very quickly. So for me it is constant practice - I like the combo of the Glock and Kahr as they each serve my particular use and purpose - but that's me.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intargc View Post
    I agree with this. I am not blaiming the pistol. I'm just looking for advice on how to juggle getting used to the Kahr trigger while also shooting other shorter pill triggers like the glock or others with a similar trigger...
    Your fundamentals suck...
    But hey, keep looking for the quick easy fix, I'm sure you'll find it.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    Your fundamentals suck...
    But hey, keep looking for the quick easy fix, I'm sure you'll find it.
    Thanks for proving you have no valuable input and that you can't read.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    29

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hsart View Post
    For me it was constant practice with both. I can pickup up either now at random - my Glock 19 or my PM45 - and immediately have the feel for the trigger. I've run about 5000 rounds through my G19 and getting close to 2000 in my PM45 over the past 12 months, mostly range work but also including some tactical training. I do not have the accuracy of a match shooter, but I can put them where they count from my holster very quickly. So for me it is constant practice - I like the combo of the Glock and Kahr as they each serve my particular use and purpose - but that's me.
    Cool. That's generally what I wanted to hear before all of the comments from the peanut gallery started about my instructor, my firearm selection and my fundamentals. I just wanted to see what other glock owners were doing and if they were having success as per my OP. I appreciate your help.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    6

    Default Not easily. Alternate Suggestion/

    Intargc I think you got the wrong gun. I had the same experience with the Sig P250--way too long a trigger pull and reset--shooting on the move is a frustrating chore. You basically love the Glock 19 and I assume you tried the glock 26 and thought it was too fat a grip. So you wanted to find a gun that would not "print" and yet be easy and handle. I have two recommendations to get shootability and concealability and allow you to stick with what you know. If you want a non "pocket" pistol you want a single stack Glock. Only Glock does not make a make a single stack 9. But you're in luck because the thin Walther PPS IS the single stack 9 that Glock should have made. If you want a pocket pistol get a Diamondback DB380. I would tell you to sell the Kahr and get both of these others. The PPS is very soft shooting, very ergonomic, very accurate, very thin, pretty light, and can be shot as fast as a Glock. The trigger is a revelation after you put 1k rounds through it--better than the Glocks. The mag release some complain about but they are fools. In a gun this small you want a mag relese in this location--it avoids the inadvertant mag drops and can drop the mag without shifting the grip by using either the trigger finger or middle finger of your shooting hand. The PPS can knock out accurate shot after shot from 50ft no problem. The only other single stack nine I have significant time on is the Sig 239. Great gun. BUT it's a bit too heavy and big for the firepower that it carries and the trigger is not like a Glock. [If this was 1999 it would be my recommendation but its not!]

    While it is true you can get more used to the Kahr trigger--why fix what isnt broken--you cant perform to the same level as with the Glock--which is why Glock rules practical production pistol sports like SSP IDPA. I have never seen a Kahr being used--because those triggers are awful (impeding speed AND accuracy) and the magazine capacities are too limited. [You might try concentrating more on your support hand grip to keep the pistol on target more steady while squezing the trigger] With current ammo prices it will be cheaper to sell the Kahr for a 150 dollar loss than to spend 1k+ dollars in ammo and training to try to "master the trigger." In addition the endless "staging the trigger" advice to counteract the excessively long pull is VERY BAD. It trains a very bad habit which you would not want to have going back to a Glock. [If you are not on target the damn finger is off the trigger. PERIOD. Excessively long triggers are not any safer really; they are only a bit more idiot proof.] The fact that you are seeking out training tell me you are not a mall ninja and probably have decent trigger finger discipline but you should film youself and see if you do.

    If I was to ever meet those 4 guys who were going to inflict felonious violence I would absolutely feel comfortable defending with the PPS.

    I am sure the Kahr fanboys will disagree but hey you are on Kahrtalk. If you were a revolver guy going to a semi auto then the Kahr trigger wouldnt be too bad to adapt to; however, you are not. You are a Glock guy so KISS.

    One final consideration for concealing is the right holster (and garments) for you. Tell me what you have tried and I can make a suggestion for concealing that glock 19.
    Last edited by Kuzzy; 05-03-2010 at 09:52 PM. Reason: typos

  10. #30
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    329

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by intargc View Post
    Cool. That's generally what I wanted to hear before all of the comments from the peanut gallery started about my instructor, my firearm selection and my fundamentals. I just wanted to see what other glock owners were doing and if they were having success as per my OP. I appreciate your help.
    ... and one more comment. Your P9 should be easier to integrate with the G19 as I am pretty sure that the P9 has the same type of recoil characteristics as the 9mm Glocks. I am assuming that the trigger action is very similar between the P9 and PM45 (I never shot a P9). The one difference that I first noted when I bought my PM45 was that after going bang the sight capture was a tad longer on the PM45 (due to more barrel lift). But once again this was solved by just running a lot of ammo through both.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Xssights   Crimsontrace