Kahr Shop   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: From Glock to Kahr: How to get used to the Kahr?

If I was gonna carry waist band carry the kahr would not be my first choice, for most of the reasons stated. They are super accurate, IMO they are just as durable as a glock, but they are IMO difficult to shoot accurately like maybe a glock or a 1911. Or lets say one can learn faster on a glock, or 1911 or M & P (which IMO is almost a single action semi anyways). You have to learn to shoot a kahr, many will not take the time to do that. Another reason why the revolver was replced so easily by the semi,::; ease of shooting played a big part of that. to shoot a revolver accurately double action is not an easy chore either and some want to **** it and fire it single action. So therefore they never learn either.

BUT all that beng said, for me anyhow, my pM9 is my defense gun, it will shoot 2" groups, I CAN'T but at 10 yards I will hit you every time, maybe all over but I will put them there. AND the primary reason for me is that I don't and won't dress to carry. I ride alot all season long on my harley for just the freedom of the wind and my PM9 just sits in my front pocket like a puppy looking out a car windown going down the road. It is content to be there, it causes me no problems in that area.

In my earlier days I used to carry my model 60 alot but had to kinda dress to carry it, for it just didn't do right in my pocket, and there fore many times when just going 15 miles or so, the gun stayed home. that we all know is a NO NO.

Waist band carry opens up a new world for many guns. but your gonna more than not dress to carry that way. Now I know some will come back and give their methods of waist band carry where it works for them. I am giving my reason why kahrs are #1 in my books for what they are desinged for.

Default every one of

Quote Originally Posted by intargc View Post
    This is what I'm talking about... I have a Glock 19 and Glock 26 currently and was thinking of selling those off and going M&P 9 and M&P 9c. The 9c seems a bit fatter than the Glock when looking at it in the shop though... On paper it seems to compare out to 1.18 for Glock, 1.2 for M&P. I'm wondering if M&P rounded up or that width is actually accurate.

How is carrying the 9c? Does the thickness cause any annoyance?
    these guns are excellent shooters and if ur gonna waist band carry they should meet your reqirements. Alittle bit bigger here and alittle more heavier here, should not matter when waist band carrying..

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    If I was gonna carry waist band carry the kahr would not be my first choice, for most of the reasons stated. They are super accurate, IMO they are just as durable as a glock, but they are IMO difficult to shoot accurately like maybe a glock or a 1911. Or lets say one can learn faster on a glock, or 1911 or M & P (which IMO is almost a single action semi anyways). You have to learn to shoot a kahr, many will not take the time to do that. Another reason why the revolver was replced so easily by the semi,::; ease of shooting played a big part of that. to shoot a revolver accurately double action is not an easy chore either and some want to **** it and fire it single action. So therefore they never learn either.

BUT all that beng said, for me anyhow, my pM9 is my defense gun, it will shoot 2" groups, I CAN'T but at 10 yards I will hit you every time, maybe all over but I will put them there. AND the primary reason for me is that I don't and won't dress to carry. I ride alot all season long on my harley for just the freedom of the wind and my PM9 just sits in my front pocket like a puppy looking out a car windown going down the road. It is content to be there, it causes me no problems in that area.

In my earlier days I used to carry my model 60 alot but had to kinda dress to carry it, for it just didn't do right in my pocket, and there fore many times when just going 15 miles or so, the gun stayed home. that we all know is a NO NO.

Waist band carry opens up a new world for many guns. but your gonna more than not dress to carry that way. Now I know some will come back and give their methods of waist band carry where it works for them. I am giving my reason why kahrs are #1 in my books for what they are desinged for.
    Well said. I get what you mean.

I fortunately dress pretty simple to begin with... I'm either wearing a t-shirt, a polo shirt or a dress shirt and it is *always* untucked. I can't stand tucking my shirts in. I also mostly wear jeans unless I'm going to a nice dinner. But my shirt is always untucked. So, while some may find this as dressing around the gun, I say it's my everyday attire! haha

I found the Glock 26 relatively easy and comfortable to carry, so I'd assume the M&P 9c wouldn't be much worse...

Quote Originally Posted by ltxi View Post
    Coming from revolvers and 1911s, Glocks have always felt like the bastard stepchild to me. Kahrs have always felt "normal".
    I agree totally. I purchased a S&W M&P 40 last year and this week swapped it for two S&W 4046's. I purchased a Glock when they first came out, only 9mm was available and the price was $279.00, swapped it for a Colt Commander, two months later.

I like the trigger pull on the Kahr and the 4046. I guess I'm old school or something LOL.
    Last edited by GregD; 05-04-2010 at 05:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by intargc View Post
    This is what I'm talking about... I have a Glock 19 and Glock 26 currently and was thinking of selling those off and going M&P 9 and M&P 9c. The 9c seems a bit fatter than the Glock when looking at it in the shop though... On paper it seems to compare out to 1.18 for Glock, 1.2 for M&P. I'm wondering if M&P rounded up or that width is actually accurate.

How is carrying the 9c? Does the thickness cause any annoyance?
    The frame itself feels smaller to me - the slide just going off of memory seems to be about the same thickness as a Glock. The 9mm and .40 Glocks feel like 2x4's that I can run with ergonomics that do not work for me at all. The 9 and .40 M&P's - jackpot baby.

Really, how is 0.02 inches going to matter in concealment? It's not

There's not a big difference in concealment with a good belt and holster between the compact and full size - and if you carry inside the waistband, I would suggest a 5" M&P instead of a 4-4.25" M&P of the same caliber.

I carry the compact at work - the long slide everywhere else, same holster.

Dress is an untucked shirt and jeans - vest if off of work with a OWB holster (faster draw - and I don't care what people think about my nonexistant fashion sense).
    ~Mike F.
    April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.

Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage.

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/

Quote Originally Posted by jeep45238 View Post
    The frame itself feels smaller to me - the slide just going off of memory seems to be about the same thickness as a Glock. The 9mm and .40 Glocks feel like 2x4's that I can run with ergonomics that do not work for me at all. The 9 and .40 M&P's - jackpot baby.

Really, how is 0.02 inches going to matter in concealment? It's not

There's not a big difference in concealment with a good belt and holster between the compact and full size - and if you carry inside the waistband, I would suggest a 5" M&P instead of a 4-4.25" M&P of the same caliber.

I carry the compact at work - the long slide everywhere else, same holster.

Dress is an untucked shirt and jeans - vest if off of work with a OWB holster (faster draw - and I don't care what people think about my nonexistant fashion sense).
    It may be the holsters I have tried, but with my 4" G19, when I sit down, the muzzle hits the seat before my butt does. 3.5" doesn't seem to do this...

I unfortunately can't wear my gun at work and have to leave it in the car. So I use a Don Hume IWB holster that makes it easy on/easy off so I can put it on before, after and during lunch. I wear it at about 3:30-4:00 on the waist.

My belt is typically a 5.11 "Trainer" belt although sometimes I use a double thick leather gun belt if it's called for...

Don Humes are not well conceived for good concealment. Check out the MTAC holsters, they are easy on and easy off. The holster is also what is likely giving you issues with 4 inch barrels.

I'm almost 6 foot, average build, and have no issues with a 5" barrel. The belt you have is plenty enough.
    ~Mike F.
    April 19th, 1775 - when marksmanship met history, and the heritage began. Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship.

Are you a Rifleman or a cook? Attend an Appleseed event and discover your heritage.

Don Humes are not well conceived for good concealment. Check out the MTAC holsters, they are easy on and easy off. The holster is also what is likely giving you issues with 4 inch barrels.

I'm almost 6 foot, average build, and have no issues with a 5" barrel. The belt you have is plenty enough.
    It's possibly the holster...

I'm only 5'9 and 165 lbs. 31" waist... I have noticed that I have more of a challenge in concealing than other guys I know. The only guys I know that have a waist size like mine don't carry at all, so it's hard to figure out if it's me or the holster...

I'm a 34" and 5' 11", close enough on the build.

General rule of thumb - if the holster attaches to the belt directly over the gun, it won't conceal worth beans unless the belt is cinched so tight it's uncomfortable. Attatchment points at the ends of the holster, far away from the gun - cake job.

YouTube - Concealment
    ~Mike F.

I'm a 34" and 5' 11", close enough on the build.

General rule of thumb - if the holster attaches to the belt directly over the gun, it won't conceal worth beans unless the belt is cinched so tight it's uncomfortable. Attatchment points at the ends of the holster, far away from the gun - cake job.

YouTube - Concealment
    Yeah, I watched just about all of your vids on youtube including that one. I appreciate the help.

I see the MTAC is quite easy to remove. My problem is that when I go to lunch with some people at work, I have to sneak my firearm on. I sometimes let them get out of the car and can sneak it on while I'm getting out and locking up. Sometimes when there is a straggler, I claim I left my wallet in the car and run back and holster up at that point...

I unfortunately work with some people that are very scared of firearms and regularly try to engage me in debates about them and make fun of me for taking training classes and blame me of being irrationally scared of being hurt because "They have lived their whole life and have never had someone threaten them with violence so why would you need to carry a gun if they don't?" I kid you not...

Considering I love my job and some of the people I work with are actually intelligent, I hide it as much as I can. Only 1 person at work knows that I carry around lunch time and he goes to training with me sometimes...

That's why I try to 1) find a small pistol so i can easily pick it up and make it seem like i'm grabbing my wallet and 2) need a holster I can slide on quickly.

It has been suggested once or twice that I just get an MTAC or Crossbreed Supertuck and just wear it all day long while leaving the pistol in the car and then I can just holster it quickly while getting out of the car... I wasn't sure how I felt about this as I thought it may be annoying to wear an empty holster all day long, but I have started reconsidering this lately...