Tommy Gun   CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber?

A gun ain't loaded unless it's fully loaded with one in the chamber and a full magazine.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

One in the chamber. Otherwise you might not have time to rack the slide, or have an arm out of commission or who knows what.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

I always carry with one in the chamber -- seems that is the general consensus on this board.

Front pocket carry and always 6+1.

There are a number of firearms instructors that advocate carrying NUP (Nothing Up the Pipe). Their rationale is that the likelihood you will ever have to use your CCW is so slim, that it does not warrant increasing your risk of accidental or negligent discharge by constantly carrying with a round in the chamber. They cite many accidents which could have been avoided if the person carried NUP.

I'm not accustomed to carrying NUP, but I will acknowledge that with some training, it's possible to get pretty quick at firing the first shot. Here's a YouTube video of a guy using a shot timer to assess his speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dURCjNxXIZE
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    There are a number of firearms instructors that advocate carrying NUP (Nothing Up the Pipe). Their rationale is that the likelihood you will ever have to use your CCW is so slim, that it does not warrant increasing your risk of accidental or negligent discharge by constantly carrying with a round in the chamber. They cite many accidents which could have been avoided if the person carried NUP.

I'm not accustomed to carrying NUP, but I will acknowledge that with some training, it's possible to get pretty quick at firing the first shot. Here's a YouTube video of a guy using a shot timer to assess his speed. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dURCjNxXIZE
    Condition 3 carry is "Unnecessary" with the DAO trigger on a Kahr. It may be for carry with a sensitive trigger. If you do carry "condition 3" or NUP, you had better practice it....dry...many, many times to "remain" proficient. Secondly, you had better first be sure that your gun will operate properly, as some Kahr handguns are known to operate properly only by racking with the slide release.....other's will operate by sling shot too...and racking off a belt is another matter. Keep your finger off the trigger if you rack off your belt or holster, because your leg on that side is at risk. I believe this is what makes the techniques NUTs, unless your MUST rack that way due to injury to the weak hand. NUP appears to be safer on the surface, but it is slower and riskier to the leg beneath the belt rack....which may make NUP less safe in reality. NUP should be practiced (dry) or with snap caps just for that reason. In hand to hand combat, racking off the belt requires ALOT of practice...so much that most guys are not going to do it well.

The 4 conditions:
    0. One up the pipe, fully loaded, safety off, hammer back.
    1. One up the pipe, fully loaded and safety on.
    2. One upn the pipe, fully loaded and hammer down (1911)
    3. NUP - Nothing Up The Pipe, mag loaded, (may even have safety on)

NUP Should read "NUTP" - Nothing Up The Pipe.....
    or a "NUT Person"
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Resurrecting an oldie but a goodie

Sold all my guns. I dislike firearms.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    That notch in the rail is supposed to be there

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson (1764).

Default Proficiency with a deadly force weapon is mandatory

Quote Originally Posted by Finfan64 View Post
    I am just curious how many of you guys carry your EDC weapon with one in the chamber? I have a CM9 that is going to be my new concealed carry gun and I am contemplating weather to carry one in the chamber of a gun that has no external safety. I know ultimately it is personal preferance, but I just wanted to see what others are doing.

Thanks.
    To me, asking that question screams -
    "I need firearms training. Someone please help me!"

Thanks for your expert opinion!

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinman507 View Post
    Resurrecting an oldie but a goodie

That's a great spoof, Tinman. At first I thought the guy was serious, "99% of people that carry a loaded weapon eventually shoot themselves"...."Bad guy charging you from 100 yrds away"...."I have all the means assembled to.....". I thought, this guy is full of bull. It took me awhile to catch on....haha.
    Perhaps I AM a little slow and SHOULD simply carry on in the pipe! Just say'in....Good one.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"