Crimsontrace   Kahr Shop   Tommy Gun Shop   Mitch Rosen
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: One in the chamber?

we are taught to regard ALL guns as loaded ALL the time so load up +1 and KNOW you have a FULLY loaded gun on your person. no safety on your CM? I beg to differ, our trigger finger is the most reliable safety we can have.

NRA LIFER
    IDPA BELEIVER

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    I just checked there's nothing between my ears that looks like a safety?
    Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    You could have placed that period after the word ears for the sake of brevity. Just sayin'.
    Classic muggsy right there. Thanks for reviving a forgotten thread.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

I can't think of anyway a Kahr could possibly fire without pulling the trigger. Why would anyone want a safety to fumble with? Anything that has the hammer in the cocked position I don't trust.

Personal preference...if you feel nervous about a loaded gun with no external safety, don't carry a Kahr. No shame in that, but be comfortable with whatever gun you use. Just seems foolish to me to have to rack the slide before using a self-defense gun. You'd be much better off just having to move the external safety on another gun.

or carry a hammer..................................

Just read this whole thread and have a thought about spring tension ... do you think that leaving the weapon loaded all the time will weaken the firing pin spring to a point of failure. I do carry loaded ... I was a grunt in Nam and have no problem snuggling up to a loaded weapon ... but hearing 50 safety's coming off in the middle of the night is nerve racking ..... As far as I know everyone carried live in our unit ... NEVER heard a misfire in the year I was there.

Quote Originally Posted by WesLey View Post
    ... but hearing 50 safety's coming off in the middle of the night is nerve racking .....
    Just hearing ONE gets my attention.

Every single one of my pistols is fully loaded, with one in the chamber - unless I'm cleaning it, or handing it to someone else. In almost 40 years, I've never had an issue with a weakened firing pin spring because of this. I'm convinced that static loading does nothing to springs, hence the need to actually run rounds through your weapon to break it in vs just hand racking it....

I always carry with one in the chamber.
    However, I know a guy that leaves his chamber empty and it has led to sloppy, "careless" re-holstering technique. Now that will be fine for him if he NEVER carry's with one in the chamber, but if he decides to change he has a lot of INGRAINED bad habits to break! NOT GOOD!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed M View Post
    Just hearing ONE gets my attentio
    In almost 40 years, I've never had an issue with a weakened firing pin spring because of this. I'm convinced that static loading does nothing to springs, hence the need to actually run rounds through your weapon to break it in vs just hand racking it....
    I have some AR-15 magazines that have been loaded for 25 years .. I haven't shot the AR in 25 years either but every once in awhile I will push down on the rounds in some of the magazines and they feel as though they would feed ok ... but, on the other hand when I bought my CW380 I locked the slide back for four or so days and it caused the slide not to close ... new spring and no more problems ... I'm also thinking the firing pin spring will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by WesLey View Post
    ... do you think that leaving the weapon loaded all the time will weaken the firing pin spring to a point of failure.
    At least in theory, it's the motion on the springs that causes wear. Remaining compressed should not. And keep in mind that engineers much smarter than me and you (definitely smarter than me anyway), who understand the properties of metals, designed these guns to operate this way. I'd like to think they did their homework first.
    Last edited by tom.p; 12-28-2016 at 03:51 PM.