Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: .22 Practice Pistol to Simulate CM9

Don't know where you live but I live in town and have no problem shooting in my yard or in my garage. It has a little "pop" but isn't nearly a loud as a .22. I have a .22 but sure wouldn't shoot it in my yard. I have a friend on the police force and asked him about shooting it in town. He said it isn't a firearm, so no problem.

I have two 22LR Pistols

Ruger MarkIII 22/45 Target, Bull Barrel, Adjustable sights and Rail. I added a Bushnell Red Dot.

Ruger SR22 Threaded Barrel.

The Ruger SR22 is a pistol with a slide, like a CM9. The MrkIII 22/45 is also a semi-auto self feed but bolt action. Both are great, accurate and reliable.

A year ago, you could go down to wally world and by 1000 rounds of 22LR for $45 bucks. You are lucky to buy 100 to 150 rounds of 9mm for that. Although 22LR is still cheap, local stock is hard to find this last year. If you order on-line you pay about 10.5 cents a round now, verses 4.5 cents a year ago. Prices will fall and availability will improve. With that said, it is still cheaper and always will be cheaper than throwing 9mm lead down range.

22LR is good for rodent control, small game, squirrel, rabbit and just fun plinking and target practice. Recoil is low already, but 22LR handguns tend to (not always) be made HEAVY with LONG barrels. Recoil is small and accuracy is good. You can't compare it to a CM9. You can pound nails with a 22LR with some practice.

They do make tiny "derringer" 22's that use magnum loads, typically a one or two shot deal. Those are sporty.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    To save on ammo costs, I am looking for a .22 caliber practice gun to supplement my CM9. I want something similar in size and action to the CM9. The Taurus PT22 appears to me to be the closest thing available. According to the specs, the trigger is DAO and of similar pull weight. Of course, the recoil will be different but that is a given.

Can anyone with experience with the PT22 comment? Or, does someone know of another pistol that is a good candidate?

I know the PT22 and many Taurus guns get mixed reviews. I am not going to bet my life on it, but only use it for economical practice.

Thanks.
    If you are just looking to improve your double action skills the PT22 Poly would be a good choice. It has about a 7# pull, but it's very smooth. .
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

seems to be in my area that 22 ammo is scarcier than 9mm ammo. OUor walmart hasn'thad any in ages.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Default Ammo availability

I have managed to pick up about 1500 rounds of .22LR in the past two months mainly by shopping local gun shops. To date they have all had a limit of two 50-round boxes per customer. Before that, zip. 9mm was and is about the same during this time period. They are coming back.

I sold a .357 1892 lever action clone for Cowboy Action early this year. I bought a 1973 Marlin Century Ltd. lever action with original scope. This was a shooter not a safe queen like so many. I have wanted to sight it in but not use up the limited .22 ammo I had. I plan to get that done this week.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    seems to be in my area that 22 ammo is scarcier than 9mm ammo. OUor walmart hasn'thad any in ages.
    Exactly right Jocko. It is hard to find 22 ammo now. Gets bought up too fast to find. That's why I suggested for him to just shoot his 9 more...or reload for it. Easier to find components than ammo. Better practice too. Anyway, a 22 is a nice gun to own too. Not trying to talk him out of buying a new 22 by any means. I'm glad I have my M&P compatibles which includes the 22 and 40, but have not shot the 22 as much as I would like to have....due to the ammo situation. Sooo....I just reload more 40's and shoot em up.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Maybe Ruger SR22?

Wish Kahr would make a cm size 22.
    This place isn't safe.

Quote Originally Posted by addictedhealer View Post
    Maybe Ruger SR22?

Wish Kahr would make a cm size 22.
    The SR22 has one of the worst double action trigger pulls that I've ever encountered on a gun. It's gritty, loaded with creep and stacks badly. It's only double action for the first pull. He'd have to decock it after every shot to practice double action.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Default Re: .22 Practice Pistol to Simulate CM9

My Walther PPK 22LR copy is almost exactly the same size as my CM9 with the 7rd extended mag. Its a DA/SA so the trigger feel is a little different. Its a blast to shoot though and trouble free.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    Look on Gunbroker.... I just bought 1400 rounds of Remington Golden 22LR for $120. To the door it was $140. The bulk ammo counted out to almost 1500 rounds. So I paid about 0.09 a round. You can buy all the 22LR you want if you are willing to pay double of what it was and should be.

I reload 9mm. The cost (not including my time) is about $0.21 a round.