Mitch Rosen   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Xssights
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bicycle Carry

Default Bicycle Carry

A report and a question: I recently gotten back into bicycling for exercise. My routine is to ride 10-12 miles at a time on rail and semi-urban trail networks working up a good sweat. This means I'm often passing under over passes and through wooded areas where I've seen some characters that have caused some concern. Additionally, there are often community parks along my path where CCW laws vary and are often confusing. On occasion, I have noted police bike patrols in these park areas. If I'm going to carry it needs to be very discreet.

I would like to be able to carry my PM9 all the time but yesterday's 10 miler was the first time I tried. I used a PJ holster at about 3:30 attached to a Wilderness Belt under a light t-shirt. This is a little more forward for me than my usual 4:30-5 position but I felt it concealed better there since I'm constantly bent forward on the bike. For the first 5 miles, I didn't notice it but as a sweat the shirt began to cling and I noticed the top of the kydex and the slide of the gun rubbing my bare skin at the waist. By mile 10 it would have been recognizable to a trained eye, and I had some chaffing in that spot. I was ready to get it off.

So the question to those of you that carry while doing heavy exercise and ride bicycles specifically, what's your method? Wear an undershirt and heavier covering shirt, bellyband, or just suck it up? Suggestions appreciated.

Default Re: Bicycle Carry

I use one of these for running/biking.

http://m.511tactical.com/All-Product...tol-Pouch.html

TusconMTB should be along pretty soon ..... I consider him somewhat of an expert on this subject

It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Default u might

Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    A report and a question: I recently gotten back into bicycling for exercise. My routine is to ride 10-12 miles at a time on rail and semi-urban trail networks working up a good sweat. This means I'm often passing under over passes and through wooded areas where I've seen some characters that have caused some concern. Additionally, there are often community parks along my path where CCW laws vary and are often confusing. On occasion, I have noted police bike patrols in these park areas. If I'm going to carry it needs to be very discreet.

I would like to be able to carry my PM9 all the time but yesterday's 10 miler was the first time I tried. I used a PJ holster at about 3:30 attached to a Wilderness Belt under a light t-shirt. This is a little more forward for me than my usual 4:30-5 position but I felt it concealed better there since I'm constantly bent forward on the bike. For the first 5 miles, I didn't notice it but as a sweat the shirt began to cling and I noticed the top of the kydex and the slide of the gun rubbing my bare skin at the waist. By mile 10 it would have been recognizable to a trained eye, and I had some chaffing in that spot. I was ready to get it off.

So the question to those of you that carry while doing heavy exercise and ride bicycles specifically, what's your method? Wear an undershirt and heavier covering shirt, bellyband, or just suck it up? Suggestions appreciated.
    also look at 5:11 holster T-shirt. It is spandex and well padded and carry any kahr with ease. My PMJ9 dissappears. I doubt if sweat would even get to the gu with thge lined padding in the holster pockets.. I noticed that Gander Mt is now selling alot of the 5:11 ccw stuff to.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

This also works well for many activities.

http://www.activeprogear.com/jogger_holster.html
    Virtues are learned at Mother's Knee

Vices are learned at some other Joint

G23, Doesn't that fanny pack use a zipper for access? It seems most do and that's a concern for me as I've been in some high stress situations and can't imagine fumbling with a zipper on those occasions. The holster shirt might work. I've seen them and often wondered how comfortable they are? Yogi, I like that active gear chest pouch but am not sure it's discreet enough for me. Fanny and backpacks are common enough but I imagine the chest rig would draw a lot of attention. Thanks for the ideas guys. Keep 'em coming.

The chest rig was my first thought, didn't know anyone made one like that.

It seems it would be the most comfortable with the least chance of rubbing anyplace on a moving body.
    I don't think it would draw attention at all. Sew some bike patches or a number or something on it.

My other idea was a frame mounted pouch like you see on a lot of bikes. I'm not nuts about the idea since you could get separated from your bike pretty easily. Stop to go tinkle or something, resting and talking to other bikers etc. Better to have it on you so it goes where you go.

Same thought applies to wheelchairs. I used to have one in a back pack or front pack etc, but decided if I have to get out of the chair, on the floor of a bank or into a car etc, I want the gun with me, not left behind on the chair.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Agreed Bawanna, off body carry is completely out. Still not sure about a chest rig. I'm careful not to wear anything military/police tactical looking and like to remain as inconspicuous as possible with my dress code. Even if I didn't know those chest rigs carry weapons, I would notice a fellow biker wearing one and would likely strike up a conversation about it. Jocko, have you done a review or can you point me to a good one on the holster shirt? Wondering how hot it is and whether the shoulder harnesses print through a light t-shirt?

Still giving some thought to the suggestion of a fanny pack since any of these deep cover methods will likely require two hands and be slow to reach anyway. G23 do you wear these on the front or rear?

Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    Agreed Bawanna, off body carry is completely out. Still not sure about a chest rig. I'm careful not to wear anything military/police tactical looking and like to remain as inconspicuous as possible with my dress code. Even if I didn't know those chest rigs carry weapons, I would notice a fellow biker wearing one and would likely strike up a conversation about it. Jocko, have you done a review or can you point me to a good one on the holster shirt? Wondering how hot it is and whether the shoulder harnesses print through a light t-shirt?

Still giving some thought to the suggestion of a fanny pack since any of these deep cover methods will likely require two hands and be slow to reach anyway. G23 do you wear these on the front or rear?
    I have two of the 5:11 holster T shirts.. I don't wear them enough bt when I do I truly like um. Nodoubt if u raise ur arm it willprint IMO, after allur storing a gun in there. The chest pack to me looks pussiests and might as well hve a sign on it saying GUN INSIDE. Just my 21 cent on this.

My son rides bikes alot and has his P380 in his bike bag for most bike people indeed do have bike bags, soit is expected. U might have to lower ur carry expectations down to a 380 of some make for body carry
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

I think a fanny pack would draw less attention, since they are so common for joggers and people out getting some exercise. Google on fanny pack holster and you'll get plenty of choices. Although most look like they are zippered. The 5:11 shirt or one of those belly band holsters would do job too. I guess it's just a matter of what you prefer. I'd think maybe a fanny pack type deal might work well, if you were already being covered, you could say you were getting your wallet and come up shooting.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.