Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: the Random Question idea is irritating

Default the Random Question idea is irritating

I had been trying for about 45 minutes to rest my password from my iPad and finally gave up in angry frustration at the sheer lunacy of this. When I clicked the Rest Password link, it asks me to answer a random question. Not sure why this is needed for a password reset, since only the email recipient associated with the account would receive the rest link...anyway, the problem is that every time I answered one of the random three questions CORRECTLY, I got an error saying I answered it incorrectly. To enhance the wonderfully warm feeling this gave me, when I then tried to simply contact the forum admin/mods via email, I could not find an email address and was forced to try and contact the admin via the forum interface...but guess what...you can't even send an email without AGAIN, having to answer the brilliant random security question...which chaffs my backside when that one TOO, says I am wrong on each of the questions. I had to wait until I got home just now to post this from my home computer. I am an admin for a gaming forum, and by no means, a tech guru, I'm pretty knowledgeable about bbs security measures....so I'm trying to understand the brilliant concept behind a random security question for non system security related links. Seriously, I was pissed...but after this much time wasted, I now just find the whole thing frustrating and irritating. Someone seriously needs to re-evaluate this portion of the reset and email functions. Sorry about the rant....but needed to get this off my chest and at least make you aware...maybe it's a compatibility issue with the normal bbs interface when accessed via a mobile OS? I was using the normal page and not the mobile version of the forum.

Wellll ... obviously you figured out how overcome it ... so you passed the test and you're one of us now. Having said that ... I do remember that happening to me, but I forget what happened after that ... anyway, sorry about that.

A bummer...

nothing wrong with blowing off a little steam --- welcome!
    ​O|||||||O

If I didn't like my computer so damn much I'd get rid of it. Like everybody else I HATE IT when for not reason of mine it gives me trouble. If it wouldn't cost me money to replace it I'd throw it against the wall. BUT when it is working for me I dearly like using it.

A love/hate relationship for sure.

bob
    cm9 and lovin it.

I had a similar problem to FOOFOO's> I was trying to get registered as a new user last night. I nearly quit trying I was so irritated with that stupid question! I don't know the name for the submachinegun and I don't even want to know! I hope there are not many really stupid ideas like this on this forum. If so, I won't last long I'm afraid!!! For some reason my real name showed up as my user name and I swear that is not what I entered. Then trying to find out what was wrong with this random question preventing me from getting a password reset was more than I wanted to deal with! It wouldn't let me contact anybody!

Is there some reason the security requirement for this forum is that high? Perhaps I'm too stupid to have access to it...

I must have created my account during a period of low security. I don't recall any fuss. Anyway, you found us. Welcome aboard.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Rockefeller View Post
    I had a similar problem to FOOFOO's> I was trying to get registered as a new user last night. I nearly quit trying I was so irritated with that stupid question! I don't know the name for the submachinegun and I don't even want to know! I hope there are not many really stupid ideas like this on this forum. If so, I won't last long I'm afraid!!! For some reason my real name showed up as my user name and I swear that is not what I entered. Then trying to find out what was wrong with this random question preventing me from getting a password reset was more than I wanted to deal with! It wouldn't let me contact anybody!

Is there some reason the security requirement for this forum is that high? Perhaps I'm too stupid to have access to it...
    Trying to keep the trolls out, maybe? Well your here now, so have a beer and enjoy the forum
    My New Web Store!
    www.teampython.com
    __________________________________________________ _____
    The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”

I pretty much have to agree with this. I was registering, and it asked me for Kahr's phone number! How the heck would I know that? I quit registering, and looked up the number. When I went back to registering, guess what? It asked me a different question. I know it is making sure I am a living, breathing person, buts ask something I do not have to look up.

I am glad I stuck to it and registered.

It asked me what Jocko's favorite sheep's name is. I put Bawanna and it locked me out the first time. No sense of humor.

Sold all my guns. I dislike firearms.
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    That notch in the rail is supposed to be there

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."
    --Thomas Jefferson (1764).