Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Garand me!

Default Garand me!

I've agreed to do some subcontract design work on a CMP range, and for compensation I said, "Can they get me a Garand?" The contractor said he thought it would be do-able, that he could get it. Haven't heard back yet, but I'm kind of stoked. I requested a "special" grade in 30.06.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

That would be like owning a piece of history. I'll cross my fingers for you John.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

I've not heard of Special grade, I know there is a select which really doesn't pertain to condition but more rarity.

Mine I believe was a Select, it was one of the early ones that they modified to launch rifle grenades. The back of the receiver is black where it was dipped in molten lead to apparently temper it as they had a tendency to crack.

It's also in pretty good condition, I felt very lucky and blessed to get it. I got it from a guy that got it from CMP, didn't go direct.

Bought it sight unseen and couldn't be happier.

Hope they come through for you and you get something very "Special".
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Special grade says, "M1 Garand Springfield Armory receiver. This is a completely refurbished rifle consisting of an original M1 Garand Springfield receiver, new production Criterion barrel, new production American Walnut stock and handguards, and new web sling. Receiver and most other parts are
    refinished USGI, but some parts may be new manufacture."

Not a museum piece, but with history in its heart.

Also pretty good assurance that its in grade A operating condition.

I'd never heard of that before, thinking it might be something new since they seem to be drying up. With the plans to stop surplus imports it'll only get worse.

Hoping for some pictures when you get it.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Congratulations, sir!

As I understand it, a "Special Grade M1 Garand" is about the only way to get a .308 directly from The CMP these days. At one time, they had some Navy rifles in 7.62x51 but, those have been gone for quite a while.

You might need some patience. A little more than a year ago when I bought my 30-06 Garand from a local seller here in Tucson, the CMP delivery time was already many months. That was before the last "crazy season". According to the newsletter, they have yet to recover from that onslaught of orders and their inventory is down.

Here's hoping your contact can come through for you. They are a hoot to shoot!
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Default Garand me!

The CMP website says 120-180 days, but my contact thought it could be expedited. Probably wishful thinking, but he does know people.

Thanks for igniting that fire again JohnR. I live within a reasonable drive of Camp Perry and picking out a CMP Garand is on the bucket list. I'm just not ready to spend the $$$ yet. That special grade sounds like it will be a great shooter. Good luck.
    ​O|||||||O

Good luck, I asked for a shooter when I got my Garand from CMP and it is. Also Dec 1944 build that went to the USMC at Parris Island in January of 1945.
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

It's supposed to be in! Waiting to see when I can pick it up!!!