Tommy Gun Shop   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Garand me!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    The M1's manual says commercial ammo 180 grain or lighter is fine and won't damage the op. rod. What I bought is 165 grain so there should be no problems.
    Cool! Sorry about the false alarm.

As you probably noticed from perusing the CMP forum, most Garand shooters are leery of commercial stuff, except for ammunition specifically loaded to be safe in a Garand. Several manufacturers offer Garand specific products.

Have fun, sir. I will be looking forward to seeing some pictures of your targets!
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Congrats on your piece of history... and I guess you're having a nice start on a Merry Christmas, too!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Tucson, it is far better to err on the side of caution! Oh and some of the Greek ammo from CMP is corrosive primed and some isn't. So treat it all as corrosive, but it shoots really well!
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle

Congrats JohnR, that is a really nice rifle. I've wanted one for a long time, but was never able to pick one up. Thanks to Tuscon about the warning about ammo and the gas rod, it's better to be safe then sorry, especially on a nice rifle like John got.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

Quote Originally Posted by DeaconKC View Post
    Tucson, it is far better to err on the side of caution! Oh and some of the Greek ammo from CMP is corrosive primed and some isn't. So treat it all as corrosive, but it shoots really well!
    Thank you for the kinds words, sir!

Actually, very little corrosive ammo is on the market these days. Nothing that the CMP currently offers is corrosive. The table below lists the dates that various facilities started making NON-corrosive ammunition. As you can see, just about anything produced after the early 1950's is safe.

I'm glad you guys made me do the research. There's nothing like trading knowledge to get a newbie up to speed.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, SP101

Quote Originally Posted by TheTman View Post
    Congrats JohnR, that is a really nice rifle. I've wanted one for a long time, but was never able to pick one up. Thanks to Tuscon about the warning about ammo and the gas rod, it's better to be safe then sorry, especially on a nice rifle like John got.
    +1 . . . And, thank you for the kind words, sir.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    I'm glad you guys made me do the research. There's nothing like trading knowledge to get a newbie up to speed.
    That is kind of you to say, sir! My Garand is not quite as old as I am, but it has still earned the right to a little extra care.

Here's hoping you continue to enjoy your venerable, old rifle too.

Now, it is time for this old f@rt to fade back into the woodwork.

Tucson, thanks for that chart!
    "The Deacon" Zoot Shooter #84
    Yup, I'm the guy at Surplus Rifle