Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Garand me!

I'll have to check on that.

The manual has a stern warning about using reloads, namely that you really have to know what you're doing and be sure every parameter is within spec if you reload for it.
    Man of steel - Kahr T9, CZ75

Quote Originally Posted by JohnR View Post
    The manual has a stern warning about using reloads, namely that you really have to know what you're doing and be sure every parameter is within spec if you reload for it.
    Yep! They have a whole forum devoted to the hand loading process: http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=94

Mostly, you need to use the right powders to achieve reasonable velocities without experiencing high impulse pressures in the recoil system. Oh, and the "recoil rod" I mentioned is properly called an Operating Rod. I was trying to hurry with that post . . .

I mostly use IMR 4895, as do many other Garand enthusiasts who reload. I bought a lot of HXP when I first purchased my rifle and that works at least as well as my reloads in mine. But, in theory, you can achieve the best accuracy by tailoring your load to your rifle. You can read all about it on the CMP forum that the link above will take you to.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

At the risk of hijacking JohnR's thread, may I ask you, TucsonMTB, if the same is true for Garands chambered in 308?
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    At the risk of hijacking JohnR's thread, may I ask you, TucsonMTB, if the same is true for Garands chambered in 308?
    Apparently so RRP. The link Tucson referred to specifically mentions it being even more important for the 308 version if you want to shoot heavier 06 bullets etc.

I have a small stash of surplus which I use sparingly. I'll need to study up and do some reloading when it's gone.

I've thought about getting that adjustable gas plug too. Probably a good idea anyhow. Most of our local ranges only allow one round at a time anyhow so I could just open it up and not have it cycle at all. They kick a bit more when the action don't soak up no recoil but that's probably manly?
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by RRP View Post
    No worries about hijacking, we are all friends here. And, yeah, the Op Rod is the same in the Garand chambered for .308 or 7.62x51, so to be safe, your loads need fast powder to prevent excessive gas system impulse spikes. Or, at least that is my understanding from exposure to the CMP forum and others. I do not have a .308 myself. Most people who do use an adjustable gas plug, which allows you prevent over pressure and bent Op Rods by venting some of pressure. As a plus, you can tune the plug with the ammo you have available to achieve good accuracy.

You really need to go to the source for this wisdom http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread.php?t=73934

Edited to add: Oh, and I just saw Bawanna's post. As usual, he understands the issue well. 168 grain Sierra Match Kings are the bullet of choice for most 30-06 and .308 competitors.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Thank you, Bawanna and TucsonMTB. I appreciate the good information.

We now return to your regularly scheduled program.
    NRA Life Member

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Col Jeff Cooper

No thanks necessary, it was a good reminder and learning experience for me too. I think we'd both benefit from getting the plug myself.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

So, anyone have some milspec 30-06 they wanna trade for deer ammo?

I was looking at getting one of these for my Garand. My dad gave me a bunch of old 06 hunting ammo he accumulated over the years, and my stash of real M2 ball I have like Bawanna, I use sparingly. Anybody have any experience with it?

http://www.garandgear.com/m1garand/d...-plug?sef=hcfp

Sounds good, no adjusting needed like the Shuster plug.

The M1's manual says commercial ammo 180 grain or lighter is fine and won't damage the op. rod. What I bought is 165 grain so there should be no problems.