CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun   Magnum Research new   Xssights
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My permanent solution to a rusting magazine release button

Quote Originally Posted by chief203 View Post
    It cost me $12 and the magazine release button should never rust again. I had the magazine button plated by Cummings Custom Refinishing. (http://www.ccrrefinishing.com/) It came out perfect and the new silver color really contrasts beautifully against the black frame and almost perfectly matches the silver slide. Looks like it should have come this way from Kahr especially with the silver factory trigger.
    Any updates on how well their coating lasted? I ordered two new mag release buttons for my daily carry's (CW45 and PM45... not at the same time) because they were starting to rust (summertime AIWB carry, working outside in 90+ degree humid weather). I could reblue them, but thought your suggestion might be more resiliant.

The most siginificant area of rust for me is the serrated section your thumb presses to release the magazine. For now I just let oil sit on it for a few minutes and wipe away most of it once per week.

Update: I contacted Cummings Custom Refinishing and they said they would still do magazine catches and suggested the CPII plating. I downloaded the form from their website and sent in two magazine catches and a little over $50 for the service + return postage (hopefully I calculated the total correctly; the form said TN sales tax was mandatory). They estimated that it would take about 3 weeks. I will update the thread when they come back and I install them.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott321 View Post
    Update: I contacted Cummings Custom Refinishing and they said they would still do magazine catches and suggested the CPII plating. I downloaded the form from their website and sent in two magazine catches and a little over $50 for the service + return postage (hopefully I calculated the total correctly; the form said TN sales tax was mandatory). They estimated that it would take about 3 weeks. I will update the thread when they come back and I install them.
    Thanks!
    [<a href=http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif target=_blank>http://i43.tinypic.com/2n7fnux.gif</a>

Update 9/17/2020: I received the two magazine catch buttons back from Cummings on Thursday, Sep 17th. I mailed them out within a day or so of my last post (#12). They look good. I took pics for the install on my PM45. I will do my CW45 within the next few days.

I used a small flathead screwdriver to move the spring when taking the catch out. However, I made a loop with dental floss to hold the spring open when reinstalling - Pic 2 (kept tension with the screwdriver).

Mag Catch Comp.jpgCatch Install Floss.jpgNew Mag Catch.jpg
    Last edited by Scott321; 09-18-2020 at 01:54 AM.