CrossBreed Holsters   Tommy Gun Shop   Crimsontrace   Magnum Research new

Thread: New CW9 owner - magazine question

Default New CW9 owner - magazine question

Hi all,

After researching a good CCW pistol and lurking here a bit, I finally took the plunge and picked up a used CW9. It came with the 7 rd magazine but I am considering a couple of the 8 rnd mags I saw on Kahr's web site. Before I go that route I'd like to find out if the 8 rd mags have any known reliability issues and if they protrude from the mag well. In Kahr's picture, they appear to have the same floor plate as the 7 rd mags.

Thanks for any assistance

My 21 cents: STICK with the flush fit mags. Extended mags on kahrs seem to be "hit and miss" for reliablilty..besides bein BUTT ugly to. I guess u cold alwyas use it for range usage, but again what is really the gain. Stick with the gun you wantto ed up fighting with to. Just sayin. the cw9 is a dan good gun, give yours a good work out first to make sure all is well. Read the kahr tech section, there is some great tips to look at also. alittle pre prepping never hurts anything either.

good forum here, welcome aboard. I'm new here myself but they seem to treat me OK:israel:
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

+1 on Jocko's comments, except the SS (sheep) about being a new guy here...

I own an extended mag which works just fine but never use it since it sticks out too far to be useful for concealed carry. It's marginally useful as a backup if you carry a spare mag. The extended also changes your grip, which may or may not be an issue for you.

Quote Originally Posted by bob98366 View Post
    +1 on Jocko's comments, except the SS (sheep) about being a new guy here...

I own an extended mag which works just fine but never use it since it sticks out too far to be useful for concealed carry. It's marginally useful as a backup if you carry a spare mag. The extended also changes your grip, which may or may not be an issue for you.
    I think I'll sick with the issued 7 rd with the finger hook base pad for now. Probably get another couple as well.

Regarding grip, though I won't get to shoot it until tomorrow, the thin profile will probably be my biggest concern. That and the firing pin release point being so far back in the trigger stroke. I have large hands so it is a little cramped.

I have an 8-round mag that has been trouble-free. However, I am otherwise in agreement with the other posters and if I had to do all over again, my second magazine would've been another 7-rd flush fit magazine. The 8-rd does protrude from the frame, and does hinder concealability.

For my cw9 the spare I carry is an 8 round magazine (K920G with grip ext). I use a ballistic nylon pouch with a belt loop which has a generous Velcro flap so either magazine size fits fine in the pouch.

Over time as you can afford to add more magazines to your cw9 collection, add both sizes. Like any magazine (standard or extended) test it to your satisfaction before you need to start depending on it.
    "The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."

Quote Originally Posted by otium View Post
    For my cw9 the spare I carry is an 8 round magazine (K920G with grip ext)....
    Ditto.

I have 2 K920G's and 2 K920's. I don't like the look of the K920's so I use them for the range. I carry with the 7 round mag in (I have 4 extra 7 round mags) and carry a K920G for backup. None of the mags that I bought have been problematic.

I carry the highest capacity... big whoop... Kahr mags as RELOADS, and I use the flushest fitting mag in the gun for maximum concealability, even substituting a metal base plate where possible for the greatest concealability.

For my 9mm's I carry the 8-round extended grip mags as spares and range mags. I do the same for the .380, the .40, and the .45. The extra bullet or two could come in handy. You can never have too much ammo when you NEED it.

Flush-fitting mags:

http://kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=208205&postcount=4

Black bases:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t...ht=9mm+barrels

I haven't had any problems with the 9mm 8-round extended-grip mags in my K9/P9/PM9, the P380 7-round extended-grip mags, the P40 7-round extended-grip, or 7-round extended-grip .45 mags in my PM45.

I would make sure that anything you use for carry and defense works reliably... ammo and magazines. You want to find problems at the range and during practice, not when your life is in jeopardy!

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    I carry the highest capacity... big whoop... Kahr mags as RELOADS, and I use the flushest fitting mag in the gun for maximum concealability, even substituting a metal base plate where possible for the greatest concealability.

For my 9mm's I carry the 8-round extended grip mags as spares and range mags. I do the same for the .380, the .40, and the .45. The extra bullet or two could come in handy. You can never have too much ammo when you NEED it.

Flush-fitting mags:

http://kahrtalk.com/showpost.php?p=208205&postcount=4

Black bases:

http://kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t...ht=9mm+barrels

I haven't had any problems with the 9mm 8-round extended-grip mags in my K9/P9/PM9, the P380 7-round extended-grip mags, the P40 7-round extended-grip, or 7-round extended-grip .45 mags in my PM45.

I would make sure that anything you use for carry and defense works reliably... ammo and magazines. You want to find problems at the range and during practice, not when your life is in jeopardy!

Wynn
    Thanks,

Another Retired Air Force guy I see!