Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Crimsontrace   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CW9 firing pin & chamber questions

Default CW9 firing pin & chamber questions

Bought a used cw9 4 days ago, it was made 4/11. Shot it this morning, about 95 rounds, 50 Blazer, 20 Cor-Bon, 25 Fiocchi. Upon inspecting the empty brass, all exhibited firing pin drag tails. That mark on the primer hit that tails off indicating the firing pin has not retracted when the breach begins to open and the barrel drops. I guessing I'm missing a small spring that returns the striker back. Anybody else seen this?

Second, Fiocchi brass, the majority of them were split! 1/2 - 3/4 of the case length. None of the Blazer (alum) or Cor-Bon did this. Upon comparison, unfired shells (3 brands), all fit very loose in the cw9 chamber. I hauled out a S&W 59 for comparison, that fit was much tighter, albeit, perfect. Is this a design trait to allow for more reliable feeding? Anybody looked at theirs?

Functioning is spite of these issues was good, only one FTC, quickly fed by "burping" the slide.

The Kahr design does NOT include a spring to retract the pin on the front of the striker that hits the primer.

As a result, the striker does not retract and drag marks on the primer are just a normal result.

In other words, your pistol is behaving normally in this respect.

It's harder to say why your used pistol's chamber is larger than your other brand of pistol. Normally, the complaint with Kahr chambers is that they are a little tight compared to other brands. I suppose it is possible that the former owner may have loosened up the chamber trying to improve feeding.

Welcome to the forum! It's good to hear that your pistol is working well, despite the possibly loose chamber.
    It would be so nice if something made sense for a change.
    -- Alice in Lewis Carroll's Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Fiocchi brass is craptastic. If that's the only brass cracking,don't worry be hoppy.

The primer drags happen on my cw9 and cm9 and to some extent the g19

Default justmy 21 cents

Quote Originally Posted by jeffy56 View Post
    Bought a used cw9 4 days ago, it was made 4/11. Shot it this morning, about 95 rounds, 50 Blazer, 20 Cor-Bon, 25 Fiocchi. Upon inspecting the empty brass, all exhibited firing pin drag tails. That mark on the primer hit that tails off indicating the firing pin has not retracted when the breach begins to open and the barrel drops. I guessing I'm missing a small spring that returns the striker back. Anybody else seen this?

Second, Fiocchi brass, the majority of them were split! 1/2 - 3/4 of the case length. None of the Blazer (alum) or Cor-Bon did this. Upon comparison, unfired shells (3 brands), all fit very loose in the cw9 chamber. I hauled out a S&W 59 for comparison, that fit was much tighter, albeit, perfect. Is this a design trait to allow for more reliable feeding? Anybody looked at theirs?

Functioning is spite of these issues was good, only one FTC, quickly fed by "burping" the slide.
    , u got some bad fiochhi brass, more than likely. Bein the utters did not do this consider it the ammo and certainly not the gun. the firing pin like they stated is normal. It is enertia and when the slide retracts to empty then and only then is the firing pin retracted back by te cocking cam. Until then it is like a limp d!ck, which as u know causes no harm. Ur gun is good to go, just shoot it like u stole it... Never compare on makers chamber to anutter, ..

If yhou had gotten the kahr manual or pulled up the kahr manual on their webb site it talkes abou the primer swipe. Your glocks do that to...
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

In a Kahr pistol the striker isn't retracted until the slide comes forward to strip the next round from the magazine. It is retracted mechanically to a preloaded position and prevented from going forward by the striker block. Your gun is performing exactly as it was intended to perform. Primer smear is normal.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Use Fiocchi ammo all the time..................never had that issue.

Thanks for the information, especially the firing pin/striker drag. That I can live with. The chamber, no so much. Perhaps the original owner(s) reamed it out for some reason. Wiggly shells are not much fun. I realize there would be some variation between manufacturers, a thou or 2, OK, however there are specification tolerances and this has some serious wiggle. If I had a very strong light maybe I could see evidence of reaming. The Kahr is now back at the dealer for his smith to look at, especially since I paid top dollar for it. This may explain why at seven yards hits were not predicable. Incidently, my G21 does not drag it's striker.

Myh G19 certainly does.

I seriously douvbt if anyone did anything to the chamber, but again it is used so we just don';t know either, but Kahr will not do anything about it, aqs it is used and who knows hwat happened before u boufght it. My 7 yard hits after 32K rounds are still unpredictable. I certainly can't blame my PMJ9 though. Hope it works out OK for u. I would be surprised if the smitty tells you it is OK and u accept that and be happy with it......Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Sure would be nice to see another barrel. Kahr list price is $140, whew!

Maybe I can get my money back and order a new one. Especially since more mags and a holster will show up from Midway on Tuesday. $28 & change for factory mags. I wouldn't go after market on something like this.