Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Striker Spring Guide

Default Plastic Striker Spring Guide

I replaced a striker spring from Wolff, their #5 and my heart sunk when I saw that the guide/rod was plastic. Everyone uses plastic now for recoil springs, but a striker?
    Does anyone make a replacement made out of good old steel?

Default Plastic Striker Spring Guide

I feel your pain. When I changed out my striker springs, I thought the same thing. But it doesn't do anything but guide the spring. There is no side load on it. I did think of making one out of aluminum or steel, but I doubt many would buy it. I'm not convinced it would be worth it.

Plastic? There are tons of Plastic Frame guns / I don't own one.

If the current part serves the function with no problem, then I don't see the point.
    Judging by today's left wing, looks like Senator Joe McCarthy was right after all.

I know the feeling. Imagine my shock when I discovered that the entire frame of my CM9 was plastic! You could have knocked me over with a feather. I don't know what to make of it. The next thing you know the automobile will replace the horse for every day transportation. Oh the shame of it.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Are toys made out of plastic yet? Can they make lighter frames out of scandium/aluminum/ titanium instead of steel? I wonder if plastic is just a lot cheaper so the profit margin is sky high.

Just one word, Plastic.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHGCvJjat1E

Default no doubt

Quote Originally Posted by TucsonMTB View Post
    I believe you are correct about the "value" of making a metal replacement for the original plastic part. Our very own CJB has already performed the experiment.

Rather than order a replacement, CJB made a striker spring guide rod out of stainless steel to replace his original guide rod after it took flight, never to be found again, during a slide tear down. He reported no improvement in performance other than the satisfaction of knowing he had a stainless part in place of the original plastic.

Here's the thread: http://www.kahrtalk.com/showthread.php?t=11249
    kahr could have made a steel striker guide rod, but the lkastic works IMO ust as good, and certain ly far lessin cost. I have yet to readof one actualy breakin. More are lost do to dissassembly then anyhting and a metal one will fly probably just as far to. Certainly no chance of rust with that part being polymer. again some make tomuch t do about polymer. There are we all knows differentquality gradesof polymers to, no difference than cheap steel vs, good steel. Just sayin
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Since plastic is AOK, I just shot off an email to Kahr and told them to can the SS guide rod.
    The reason you buy an MK or K is because your not a big fan of Plastic, but I'm guessing you already knew that.

Gosh, plastic people can get so sarcastic and defensive. Must be someting in the water (from plastic bottles).

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Quote Originally Posted by jocko View Post
    kahr could have made a steel striker guide rod, but the lkastic works IMO ust as good, and certain ly far lessin cost. I have yet to readof one actualy breakin. More are lost do to dissassembly then anyhting and a metal one will fly probably just as far to. Certainly no chance of rust with that part being polymer. again some make tomuch t do about polymer. There are we all knows differentquality gradesof polymers to, no difference than cheap steel vs, good steel. Just sayin
    It took me two days to find my striker spring guide rod the first time I took my CM9 a part. That little bugger took off for parts unknown at light speed.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380