Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters   Crimsontrace   Tommy Gun Shop
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Plastic Striker Spring Guide

Quote Originally Posted by muggsy View Post
    It took me two days to find my striker spring guide rod the first time I took my CM9 a part. That little bugger took off for parts unknown at light speed.

I figured something like that would happen. I generally am the one that does it. Down on your knees with a flashlight.
    This time I used a large size baggie.

Old thread but I have not been able to find a stainless let alone all metal Striker Spring guide for my K-40.
    I have an issue with having any plastic in an all metal gun. OCD, maybe. Yeah I know the magazine has plastic, and that will be my next bone of contention to deal with.

Anyhow I made a spring guide out of a stainless roof nail. I consider myself an extreme novice at metal working but I dont let that stop me. I just stoned the ring shanks off the nail and reduced the diameter of the head to fit the slide back and now I can sleep better at night. Wish sleeping pills work.

Here is the stainless steel striker guide you have been seeking: https://gallowayprecision.com/kahr/stainless-steel-striker-guide-for-kahr-cm9-pm9-cw9-and-cw40/
    While I think $15 is steep for basically a stainless nail or screw, I too dislike the idea of plastic internal gun parts. Beyond tearing them up when disassembling slides, I have never had a problem with the plastic spring guide, except for their unscheduled departures across the room. When I lost one recently, as an experiment, I replaced it with a round head screw of the proper width after shortening the length. The round screw head fits nicely into the slide back and seems to function normally in a pencil test, though I have not fired the gun yet. If you get the Galloway part, please let us know how it works.

Just find a nail that's close and use wire cutters to remove the extra length... pennies. The plastic works fine... not a worry.
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

I assume the Galloway product is better than a nail, but at $15 plus $6.95 for shipping, it does seem slightly decadent. That said, I have found myself replacing polymer parts with metal parts for years now. My two Old Style polymer Kahrs came with polymer magazine releases. One or more broke and were replaced by Kahr. This was once a common problem. Later, when Kahr changed to steel mag releases, I bought two to replace mine, even though I was not having trouble with those then in use. Of course, I had not had trouble with the broken ones, until they broke. The steel replacements seem to function better, seem much less likely to break and I have more confidence in them. I normally replace a polymer guide rod with a steel rod when I can. They seem to shoot better, probably due to the added weight and rigidity. In quality pistols both smaller and larger than Kahrs, polymer guide rods are often standard, but, to my knowledge, Kahrs have always used steel rods, accepting the extra weight and cost. I assume this was based on testing and sound reasoning. My several Lakeline aluminum magazine followers are significantly better than the originals. While I never suffered a follower break and I am not sure whether it is a metal versus polymer thing, they seem to feed more reliably and I feel better carrying them.
    My Kahrs are defensive arms and I want them to be as robust and effective as possible. I had better stop here before I convince myself to spring for the factory made, woefully overpriced, steel striker spring guides, as well.
    Last edited by finpro; 03-27-2017 at 01:47 AM.

From experience, I like to have an assortment of the small bits that can go flying, so I buy all kinds of things like that for spares. Some are interchangeable, but some are caliber specific. I have extra extractors, springs, pins, slide lock springs and screw sets.

The only things that I couldn't find were a few extractors... lost 2 out of three that blew out from a batch of "factory" reloads that I was able to narrow down to a particular cartridge case that blew out near the bases. I had 3 Kahr 9's at the time... PM9, P9, and K9. I lost a few of the associated pins and springs, too, and had the side plate blow off of the P9, so I got a spare one for it, along with the screw.

I have spares for my Glocks, too, and those parts are usually cheaper, with lots of plastic. The striker spring guide rod is cheap, though, and I added those to my small bits collection. They can really take off trying to get the slide re-assembled.

My clothes hanger "C" clamp has slipped a few times with the spring and rod under full pressure. Those buggers can fly and bounce anywhere.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by finpro View Post
    I assume the Galloway product is better than a nail, but at $15 plus $6.95 for shipping, it does seem slightly decadent. That said, I have found myself replacing polymer parts with metal parts for years now. My two Old Style polymer Kahrs came with polymer magazine releases. One or more broke and were replaced by Kahr. This was once a common problem. Later, when Kahr changed to steel mag releases, I bought two to replace mine, even though I was not having trouble with those then in use. Of course, I had not had trouble with the broken ones, until they broke. The steel replacements seem to function better, seem much less likely to break and I have more confidence in them. I normally replace a polymer guide rod with a steel rod when I can. They seem to shoot better, probably due to the added weight and rigidity. In quality pistols both smaller and larger than Kahrs, polymer guide rods are often standard, but, to my knowledge, Kahrs have always used steel rods, accepting the extra weight and cost. I assume this was based on testing and sound reasoning. My several Lakeline aluminum magazine followers are significantly better than the originals. While I never suffered a follower break and I am not sure whether it is a metal versus polymer thing, they seem to feed more reliably and I feel better carrying them.
    My Kahrs are defensive arms and I want them to be as robust and effective as possible. I had better stop here before I convince myself to spring for the factory made, woefully overpriced, steel striker spring guides, as well.
    only reason i would buy that steel striker guide is so I can get my metal detector out and find it when it flies out upon assembly, other than that that polymer guide is fine and motionless. If you hgavenot lost one of these, then you have not taken the slide down. Some suggest a big plastic bag but I could not find one big enough for me and the slide to fit into. plus it was hard breathin to.. Just sayin Personally if you would go to ol jockos tips on kahrs on this forum, he will give you some tips that u really need not be taking that slide apart, but again its your call to make, not mine. I have not taken my slide apart on my K9 or PMJ9 in probably 10K rounds, and I would bet it is spiffy clean using the ol jocko cleaning method. ammo today is so muc cleaner burning etc and unless you laying in the mud, total dissassembly is not needed. How many here take their wheel guns totall apart??? Just sayin. Fokk it, if it ain't broke dont fix it...
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

From the same site

What's wrong with this picture? Did you hear the one about the four men turning a chair while another man holds a light bulb? I don't know what made me think of that.
    Last edited by finpro; 03-31-2017 at 03:05 PM.

I purchased a metal striker guide from Galloway for a cm9,cm40,cw9,cw40 for my cw380 and p380. The dimensions are the same except it was a bit longer and I had to trim it a bit, it works fine. Galloway asked for my original plastic guide so they can produce one for the cw380 and p380. So we should soon one for the CW and P 380's