Tommy Gun Shop   CrossBreed Holsters   Xssights   Mitch Rosen
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW.380 XTP or Hydrashock?

Question Kahr CW.380 XTP or Hydrashock?

After much searching dealing with actual tests results of both ideal expansion and penetration in ballistic gel with and without 2-4 layers of denim based on FBI standards, only two bullets passed in short barrels pistols such as the Kahr P .380. The XTP 90 gr. bullet used in 1) Hornady Custom, 2) Fiocchi Extrema , 3)HPR and 4) Precision One and the Federal HydraShock bullet. My question is, in the opinion of those with Kahr .380 experience should I start with the XTP or the HydraShock first? Is one bullet more likely to have less FTF's than the other?

I've read that the LAPD approves 380 Auto 90 gr FTX® Critical Defense - Hornady for their officers BUGs.

The simple answer is to buy both and see what your gun likes. If they both function, then flip a coin. Both are great choices.

I found this video really helpful. At the very least, a lot of good info for anyone carrying a .380

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...ate-380-round/

Thanks. Did well in tests by MouseGun but the FTX failed some of the penetration tests by Shootingthe Bull410.

buffalo bore

Buffalo Bore +P 90-grain Gold Dots(bonded) or the same bullet by Underwood in their +P load at a slightly higher velocity. The first is used in my Avatar picture.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    Buffalo Bore +P 90-grain Gold Dots(bonded) or the same bullet by Underwood in their +P load at a slightly higher velocity. The first is used in my Avatar picture.

Wynn
    +1
    I personally don't own a .380.
    And really feel .38/9mm is minimum caliber for Self Defense.
    But If I were for some reason required to carry such a small caliber gun.
    BB +P has some of the most impressive ballistics I've seen in .380.

Adding velocity to .380 will increase the rate of expansion, but it will limit penetration. You are better off with a modest slow expander at 800 ft/s than you are with a fast expander at 950 ft/s.

The work done by ShootingtheBull and Ljutic backs this up.

I don't think anything really penetrates better (with expansion) than the XTP offerings or the Hydra Shok. If overpenetration doesn't concern you, I would lean toward the Hydra Shok as they are more likely to act like an FMJ than the XTP.

Here's a video demo that shows the Hornady Critical Defense doing really well in gel tests with and without denim. This guy uses a Kahr P380 where the other testing was with a Ruger LCP. I'm not sure that explains the difference though. I just find the more I look into ammo the less I know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8hr8X7RLTI#t=25