Magnum Research new   Mitch Rosen   Tommy Gun Shop   Kahr Shop
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW.380 XTP or Hydrashock?

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

It is interesting to see how these test videos (and videos where someone just talks about their ammo), are so vastly different. I went with Hornady's CD as well for my wife's 380. Lots of good 380 SD ammo out there.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

Critical Defense isn't a bad choice. It is essentially an XTP bullet with a polymer plug (prevents plugging) that is pushed 50 to 100 ft/s faster than their standard XTP bullet. The result is more consistent expansion, and as you should expect, less penetration.

This video demonstrates clearly what is happening. A standard XTP at @ 800 ft/s penetrating 15+ inches in bare gel as well as 4 layers denim.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0hbEtRvPU24

When it comes to penetration with .380, the rate of expansion is everything. The XTP is a slow expander, that is why it penetrates exceptionally well.

Imo...fmj
    If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!

You need penetration with the .380 and you should consider using ball ammo. Ball ammo doesn't expand, but it does tumble creating a large wound channel. It feeds reliably and will penetrate a full 18" in ballistic gel and four layers of denim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNdX36P-3E
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

FMJ is fine if you're sure of your BACKSTOP. It will blow through your target losing little energy and go through whatever's behind the target... and FMJ tumbles and ricochets a good distance.

Unless you hit something REALLY VITAL, the target may not even know he's hit.

Modern well-designed hollow points generally stay in the target BG and transfer all of their energy to the BG, usually doing more damage than a "slippery" FMJ that just passed through.

FMJ for every occasion is NOT a good idea.

JMHO.

Wynn
    USAF Retired '88, NRA Life Member. Wife USAF Retired '96
    Avatar: Wynn re-enlists his wife Desiree, circa 1988 Loring AFB, ME. 42nd BMW, Heavy (SAC) B-52G's
    Frédéric Bastiat’s essay, The Law: http://mises.org/books/thelaw.pdf

Thomas Jefferson said

“A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.”
    and

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading".

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    FMJ is fine if you're sure of your BACKSTOP. It will blow through your target losing little energy and go through whatever's behind the target... and FMJ tumbles and ricochets a good distance.

Unless you hit something REALLY VITAL, the target may not even know he's hit.

Modern well-designed hollow points generally stay in the target BG and transfer all of their energy to the BG, usually doing more damage than a "slippery" FMJ that just passed through.

FMJ for every occasion is NOT a good idea.

JMHO.

Wynn
    I'm agreeing with you on that Wynn! I believe a some expansion is better than a whole lot of over penetration. I've seen what expansion does on deer and what penetration without expansion does. I'll go with more expansion any day. JMHO2
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

I don't get it. If one is going to get a .380 then search for a hot round such as the BB +P, why not just use a 9mm?

Default Kahr CW.380 XTP or Hydrashock?

Quote Originally Posted by sw66hiviz View Post
    I don't get it. If one is going to get a .380 then search for a hot round such as the BB +P, why not just use a 9mm?

.380s are carried, generally, for the small size of the firearm. Basically, it's much easier to carry/conceal a .380 than a 9mm. Having made the choice to carry a .380, folks are trying to pick the ammunition that will do the best job of stopping a BG with a somewhat anemic cartridge. So a hot round is desired to overcome some of the built-in shortcomings of the .380 cartridge. Or something like that.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

I love my COUNTRY...but I don't trust my GOVERNMENT.

Shooting tests really show strange things happening in the world of short barrel guns. In the .380 tests it was not unusual to find a lower velocity round to be superior in performance. The better bullets Cor-Bon, Gold Dot Buffalo Bore etc.which are great in longer barrels did not meet the minimum standards of both penetration and expansion in the Kahr P 380 The Hydra-Shock and XTP were the only two consistant performers in all the tests. My belief is one should select the most effective round in whatever firearm is being used. Rifle pistol or shotgun. If tests are available to help your selectiion rather than theory , why not use them? However as we all know the most effective round is worthless if it does not feed well. My question is: With all the knowledge and experience we have on board.does anyone know if Federals ( .380.Hydrashock) feed better than Hornadys(XTP) in the Kahr. This is more than just a point of interest, these rounds are expensive and I was hoping to save a little time and money. Of course I will test for proper function. I also have a CW9 edc a CW45 a Ruger SP101 and S&W .357 Mag Model 19.

Quote Originally Posted by sw66hiviz View Post
    Good question. I purchased a 380 for my wife because she could not work the slide on all the 9's we looked at (and we looked at a bunch). She found the S&W380BG and fell in love with it. She could work the slide easily. She liked the compactness for when she walks alone on our deserted country roads. She feels safer carrying it . She shoots it well. It was at a good price point. Everything gelled for her to get that 380....so that's how the story goes. I would have rather seen her get a 9 or a 40, but she carries the 380 and we both feel confident that it will protect her if needed. My daughter has a 40 Ruger for home defense, but for daily carry she also relies on the S&W BG380. Some folks prefer the compactness of the 380. I guess I would respond by saying, "Why not get a 380 if you'll carry it vs not having any gun?"....realizing that some folks will respond by saying they would rather not have a gun if it was going to be a 380. Personal preference.
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"