Magnum Research new   Tommy Gun Shop   Xssights   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kahr CW.380 XTP or Hydrashock?

I think people put too much emphasis on ballistics tests. They are usually done under controlled conditions, of which, will most likely never be the same as the conditions under which you have to use your firearm. I owned a carried a BG. Sold It. Not because there was anything wrong with it. It was a great little firearm for what it was. Great for carry. I found that it liked Rem. 102 gr. jhp's. It was sold because of accuracy and it didn't quite fit my mitts like I would have liked it to. Most people wouldn't want to be shot or shot at, with anything, much less what caliber is being used. Like some have said, carrying .380 is better than not carrying at all. No matter what ammo you use, I am sure that at short distances, the .380 will do what it was designed for. Personally, I use Fed. HST'S for all of my firearms. I don't own any .380's anymore, but when I did, I really didn't feel under gunned. The caliber has it's place. I would concentrate more on what works and is reliable, than whether it's speed is 1000fps, or 1100 fps, and whether it expands to a half inch, or five eighth's. When in doubt, empty the mag................I am sure it will be sufficient for what it's intended for.

FWIW...I carried Fed hyd shock and a spare mag of FMJ's before switching to all FMJ's...Hundreds fed and fired through my P3AT.
    If a sign could stop evil….They’d make holsters for them!!

Quote Originally Posted by kwh View Post
    Thanks. Did well in tests by MouseGun but the FTX failed some of the penetration tests by Shootingthe Bull410.
    Critical Defense is designed not to over penetrate. If barrier penetration is desired then Hornady makes the Critical Duty although I'm not sure if it is available in .380. I use the new Barnes ammo in my LCP. Barnes TAC-XPD.
    Last edited by warbird1; 12-11-2013 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Add sentence

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I think people put too much emphasis on ballistics tests. They are usually done under controlled conditions, of which, will most likely never be the same as the conditions under which you have to use your firearm. I owned a carried a BG. Sold It. Not because there was anything wrong with it. It was a great little firearm for what it was. Great for carry. I found that it liked Rem. 102 gr. jhp's. It was sold because of accuracy and it didn't quite fit my mitts like I would have liked it to. Most people wouldn't want to be shot or shot at, with anything, much less what caliber is being used. Like some have said, carrying .380 is better than not carrying at all. No matter what ammo you use, I am sure that at short distances, the .380 will do what it was designed for. Personally, I use Fed. HST'S for all of my firearms. I don't own any .380's anymore, but when I did, I really didn't feel under gunned. The caliber has it's place. I would concentrate more on what works and is reliable, than whether it's speed is 1000fps, or 1100 fps, and whether it expands to a half inch, or five eighth's. When in doubt, empty the mag................I am sure it will be sufficient for what it's intended for.
    Yes...nobody likes to leak.

380 ammo in the last 10 years has grown by leaps and bounds. I would not feel that undergunned carrying a 380. I did for many years before my PMJ9 was born,although they were kelteks POS guns at the time. I really thinkback then but onehas to give somecredit tokeltekc. They pioneered the 32 and380'sback then and basicaly got allthe big namesinto the game, and when the big names came on board, they broght quality thatIMOkeltek just didn'tseem to interested in at the time. George Kelgreen was a genius . Do many of u rememberthe grendal 380 that I beieve loaded from the top in a stripper type clip. way ahead of its timeback then. He went bankrupt back then to.
    . My PM9 has over 40,000+ rounds through it, and runs much better than an illegal trying to get across our border

NRA BENEFACTOR MEMBER

MAY GOD BLESS MUGGSY

Just ordered XTP's from Precision One ammo at $27.99/50.

Quote Originally Posted by wyntrout View Post
    FMJ is fine if you're sure of your BACKSTOP. It will blow through your target losing little energy and go through whatever's behind the target... and FMJ tumbles and ricochets a good distance.

Unless you hit something REALLY VITAL, the target may not even know he's hit.

Modern well-designed hollow points generally stay in the target BG and transfer all of their energy to the BG, usually doing more damage than a "slippery" FMJ that just passed through.

FMJ for every occasion is NOT a good idea.

JMHO.

Wynn
    Wynn, if you are ever in a SHTF situation I doubt seriously that you are going to be concerned about a backstop. Your only concern will be in placing as many hits as possible on your assailant. In all probability, you're going to empty your gun. People have been struck by multiple rounds of .45 ACP and didn't realize that they were hit. Four layers of denim and ballistic gel don't shoot back.
    Never trust anyone who doesn't trust you to own a gun.

Life Member - NRA
    Colt Gold Cup 70 series
    Colt Woodsman
    Ruger Mark III .22-45
    Kahr CM9
    Kahr P380

Quote Originally Posted by kwh View Post
    Just ordered XTP's from Precision One ammo at $27.99/50.
    I was planning on ordering a couple hundred rounds myself but I see they are sold out. Serves me right for procrastinating.

Please post a range report with these when you can.

Upstate NY - (nothing like NYC). In remote country with thousands of acres of hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by berettabone View Post
    I agree. The ballistic tests are a good repeatable reference. However, it is not reality. It does not include bone and various tissue (muscle, lung, blood filled organs, etc...). There is simply not a good reliable way to simulate a human, nor what any bullet will interact with along the way through different angles, thicknesses, etc.... There are too many variables in reality. These gel tests are just that...simulated tests to make some sort of a comparison. That same bullet that did not expand on the denim or gel, might perform totally different after it goes through a rib or sternum or skull. That same bullet that over or under penetrated on the gel, may react differently through bone, muscle, blood filled organs and varying angles and thicknesses. I'm just saying that there is no absolute way to tell until use it.

I've had similar experiences shooting deer. I won't get into caliber issues because that starts a war. However, some ammo perform very well and others don't, but you can't necessarily go exclusively by the ballistics or tests. They are merely a reference simulation.
    My Sword - PM4044N/CTL/Talons
    - "One should diligently train at all times." Miyamoto Musashi
    - "Train in technique until it requires no thought - no mind and just happens." Takan Soho
    - "The truth beyond the technique....Here's where we stop thinking and start shooting." Brian Enos
    - "A single sword against the cold sky." Yamaoka Tesshu
    - "You must concentrate upon and consecrate yourself wholly to each day, as though a fire were raging in your hair."
    Taisen Deshimaru
    - "Know your sword!"

10% ballistic gel is by far the best test medium we have, but obviously it is not perfect. I don't see people volunteering to be test media themselves. The gel is a uniform density fluid (to simulate the average density of the human body), while the human body is comprised of fluids of varying densities, as well as solids (bone).

The FBI decided on a range of 12 to 18 inches penetration in gel to be an acceptible equivalent range of penetration in human tissue. Most skulls will be fully penetrated with less than 12 inches of penetration, much less 18. Most people's abdomen's will be fully penetrated with 12 inches of actual penetration from front to back.

One thing I rarely see mentioned about the 12 to 18 inch penetration range is this is based on statistics. Specifically, it is based on a normal distribution (bell curve) with a desired mean penetration of 15 inches (most people only focus on 12 inches). That means if you get a mean penetration of 15 inches with a sample size larger than 30, then you can expect around 98% of these rounds will penetrate between 12 to 18 inches in the gel.

If your round has a mean penetration of 12 inches in the gel, using a sample size larger than 30, then you can expect 50% of these rounds to underpenetrate...

The bottom line is gel testing is a very good predictor of what a bullet will do in a human body, but it would be wise to select a round that frequently penetrates 15 inches instead of 12 inches. Stear clear of anything that typically penetrates less than 12 inches.