CrossBreed Holsters   Magnum Research new   Xssights   Crimsontrace
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LAPD may melt down $30,000 gun for $200

Default LAPD may melt down $30,000 gun for $200

Guy in LA turns in an old gun in one of those gun buy-back programs that are so popular & gets a $200 gift card in return. The problem? It is a $30,000 WWII German StG-44 ... the first generation automatic weapon. Unless something special happens, it might soon be simply molten metal. Ref:

http://bearingarms.com/nuts-30000-st...200-gift-card/
    Ray

NRA Endowment Life Member
    SAF Life Member

It's a real shame..................history there....................at the least, he could have donated it to a museum, and taken a tax rightoff.

It was probably some old woman that had no idea what it was worth, and just wanted the $200. That is why so many people stake out these gun buy backs, and offer people more for certain weapons. I imagine that being in Commiefornia, that is illegal.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

My moment of glory here was saving an original Colt Single Action Army we had in my property room for years. I held it everytime I went out to do stuff.
    Old chief didn't really want to dispose of them and insisted on doing so if we have to far away, not locally.

New chief couldn't care less, he's a show me the money guy. They were going to do a melt down, the new property person leans anti a bit. I mentioned the Colt and she didn't care. I call her the man hole cover queen.

I went to chief and asked him about it, he asked the value and I told him I could only guess but probably 7 of 8,0000. He near fell off his chair.
    Several dealers came and made bids and all pegged it at over 10,000 and offered I think the highest was around 4,800. Guy that got them all offered it to me at that price for all the other good stuff he got.

Course bawanna's never seen 4,800 all at one time in his whole born days.

Hated to see it go but at least I'm not driving over it to keep from falling in a man hole.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Default LAPD may melt down $30,000 gun for $200

That's criminal to melt a gun down like that!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Kahr CM9 = Flawless

This quote from the comment section is a classic:

Participating in a gun buyback program because you think there is too much gun violence is like getting a vasectomy because you think your neighbor has too many kids.
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling

Obama loves it when it hurts us Freedom Loving Gun Loving Americans to see things like this happen. All Anti-Americans like to see us hurt badly.

Many PD's have a no salvage destruction policy. Like it or not it is the way it is. Depts that allow historical conversion, like mine, mandate that the weapon be made NON FIREABLE forever. The barrel is plugged with molten steel and the internal parts are required to be destroyed.
    Wake Up...Grow Up...Show Up...Sit Up...Shut Up...Listen Up

Quote Originally Posted by Longitude Zero View Post
    Many PD's have a no salvage destruction policy. Like it or not it is the way it is. Depts that allow historical conversion, like mine, mandate that the weapon be made NON FIREABLE forever. The barrel is plugged with molten steel and the internal parts are required to be destroyed.
    That's sad coming from the land of common sense.

Making them non fireable is as criminal and melting them down into manhole covers.

If the gun is not illegal to own then it should go to a qualified owner or museum or something.

Be like throwing George Washingtons powdered wig in the burn barrel.

Same with departments not returning stolen guns to their legal and rightful owners like getsome. Give em a song an dance that it was destroyed cause they couldn't determine the owner even though he called 26 times asking about when he could pick it up. That is beyond the scope of LE and Chiefs that endorse that behaviour.
    In Memory of Paul "Dietrich" Stines.
    Dad: Say something nice to your cousin Shirley
    Dietrich: For a fat girl you sure don't sweat much.
    Cue sound of Head slap.

RIP Muggsy & TMan

"If you are a warrior legally authorized to carry a weapon and you step outside without that weapon, then you become a sheep, pretending that JOCKO will not come today."

Quote Originally Posted by Bawanna View Post
    That's sad coming from the land of common sense.

Making them non fireable is as criminal and melting them down into manhole covers.

If the gun is not illegal to own then it should go to a qualified owner or museum or something.

Be like throwing George Washingtons powdered wig in the burn barrel.

Same with departments not returning stolen guns to their legal and rightful owners like getsome. Give em a song an dance that it was destroyed cause they couldn't determine the owner even though he called 26 times asking about when he could pick it up. That is beyond the scope of LE and Chiefs that endorse that behaviour.
    No kidding! On a similar note - here is a post I wrote on the Texas CHL forum last month:

Texas Memorial Museum was the premier museum in Austin from the time it was built in the '30s up until the Bullock Texas State Museum facility was built. Now it is in danger of being closed because of budget cuts.

I remember talking to a security guard there around 10 years ago - I was wondering what happened to the very nice general collection of antique firearms that had been on display for decades. The guard said the guns had been removed for pc reasons (his opinion).
    Many of those guns had been on loan from various families around the state and were quite valuable. Dunno if the University of Texas took the time to find the original donors or their families to return them. There was no mention of it in the local media as far as I know.
    One matched pair of Colt Paterson "Texas" revolvers was extra valuable - today they would fetch upwards of $700,000 to $1,000,000 at a premier auction.

I always used to laugh at the little sign inside the main display case that the guns had been "deactivated" for "safety" reasons - the mainsprings had been removed. Complete dumbassery on the museum staff's part, IMO.

As a guess, the original mainsprings for the Colt Patersons could be worth a couple grand apiece today. No doubt some ignorant staff person tossed them in the trash after cleaning out a dusty old drawer.
    Armybrat Member Posts: 103Joined: Fri Dec 22, 2006 2:01 pm

Those extremely rare antique firearms had been "deactivated" over 50-60 years ago...for what? Some criminal was going to steal a $500,000 Colt Texas Paterson or an 18th century dueling flintlock to go rob a 7-11 store? :40:

Holy chit, some people just aren't operatin' with a full deck!
    A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition
    -Rudyard Kipling