Mitch Rosen   Xssights   Kahr Shop   CrossBreed Holsters
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bang Time ~ Eagle vs Sig 9MM

I've owned a bunch of SIGs in the last thirty years, but have had no experience with the Baby Eagle. I find it hard to fault the SIGs, but in the last twelve years have converted to HK. As far as polygonal rifling is concerned, I've had both it and conventional, and have noted little difference if any.

The IWI web site says pistols can be delivered with either types rifling, but Magnum Research must be importing the conventional rifling now. Years ago I am sure I saw Baby Eagles at gun shows with polygonal rifling.

I've had a Jericho 941 compact that had the polygonal rifling and a full size Baby Eagle in 40 that I bought last year that had the conventional rifling. Well made either way. There are a lot of fine CZ clones out there with the most recent coming from Canik 55 out of Turkey.

I recently bought a baby eagle 9mm with the 3.64 in barrel. Destined to be my carry gun. Had to have the trigger group polished because the DA pull had so much grit. Also about 12 lbs or more pull. Now the DA is a reasonable 6 lbs. Had the end of the curved trigger cut back slightly as it was pinching the finger after 4-5 shots. Good feel to it. Still looking into the background of this re-introduction of the Baby Eagle name. Bottom line is that I have a pistol that I really like.

Fuzzball

I haven't been able to find any of the sub-compact Baby Eagles for sale around here - not even online. I'll be going to a local gun show next weekend and will be looking for either a compact or subcompact 9mm (polymer frame). I'd like to find both so I can compare them. I'm not sure there is enough difference in the size and weight to be worth the extra strong recoil spring that is probably associated with the subcompact. Anyone out there have an opinion on these options? (If I found a steel frame subcompact I might consider it - I like the looks of the steel version more than I do the polymer.)

"Life Member NRA"
    I am addicted to brake fluid...don't worry I can STOP at anytime!

I looked at the web site and found it interesting; however, there is a lot of confusion there as to what is officially (according to IWI) a compact and what is a semi-compact. I saw some called a compact but listed as having a 3.9 inch barrel (although, the picture did show a compact).

I'll be going to the gun show this next weekend a see what I find there. If I don't find anything, I may go back to Armslist and sort through the listing more carefully.

In any case, thanks for the information.

I went to the gun show yesterday and saw 5 Baby Eagles there. One dealer had the polymer version of both the semi-compact and compact so I was able to handle both. For me, the semi-compact felt better. The compact grip seemed to be a little wider and the trigger reach seemed longer. I placed one gun on the other and it seems they didn't cut the bottom off the grip but removed a section from the center and raised the bump at the heal of the grip. This seems to result in the bump hitting more in the center of my palm instead of at the bottom. Also, the weight difference seemed legible. Therefore, I've decided to buy the semi-compact, but the prices at this dealer were high. I found another dealer who had both the steel and polymer semi-compact, and the price of the compact was much lower than for the steel. I was ready to buy it when I realized it was 40 caliber, and I want 9mm. Therefore, I'll check out the link jeepster sent and buy it online. Someone else as selling a full-size polymer, but I like the semi-compact more than that. (There were plenty of CZs and the other clones and the prices were not much lower than for the Baby Eagle - I don't understand why the BE is not more popular.)

My brother has a .40 Baby Eagle. I'm not something that I think I would buy, I'd probably go with the one of the CZ 75 models. There is nothing wrong with it, other than the prior owner put some target sights on it, and my brother couldn't get it sighted in so had me do it. I don't know what it is about it that I don't like, just the general feel of it I guess. Once I got it sighted in, it's pretty accurate, and didn't have any problems with it. I guess I don't like the way the frame is shaped under the barrel. That keeps it from fitting quite a few holsters.
    Tom
    Live today, tomorrow may not come!
    Boberg XR9S
    Kahr CW40
    Springfield Armory 1911
    Dan Wesson Revolver

HY*NDAI is to cars, what Caracal, Hi-Point, and Jennings is to handguns. The cars may or may not run ok, but the corporation SUCKS.

I like the CZ as well. Back in 1995 I was considering the CZ-75 and a version of the Jericho with a frame-mounted safety and no decocker. (Eventually I bought a CZ-83 for a number of reasons and I still think it's a great pistol for a large 380 caliber.) I liked the way the grips of both felt, but they were very different. The CZ-75 reminds me of a Colt SA army revolver because it has sort of a hump. It's comfortable, but it seems to extend the trigger reach. I found I could not quite reach the trigger when the pistol was in double-action mode without shifting my grip and then having to shift back for SA mode. The grip of the Jericho allows me to reach the trigger better in both DA and SA modes.

Last year at the gun show the CZ was selling for as much as $100 less than the Jericho, but this year they are about the same. Also CZ now has so many models I can't tell which has which feature without looking on their web site. They seem to have adopted the Kimber and now Sig Sauer business model of having a version of each pistol for every individual gun buyer in America. I've also heard mixed reviews about CZ's new Omega trigger - it's great or it's junk (I don't have any personal experience with it, but the trigger was always said to be the strongest point in favor of the CZ and its clones). Also, the finish of the new CZ-75 models looks like some kid spray painted it with black enamel. As to the other CZ-75 clones, I like the Jericho and the Bul Cherokee and possibly Tagfolio, but I have no interest in any of the others. The ones from Turkey may be OK but the price difference in only about $100 and that's for a pistol for a very unknown manufacturer and the ones from Switzerland cost a fortune and haven't gotten very good review - they look expensive, but I don't know whether they are worth the money.

For my use, the Jericho is the best; although, I may someday but a gently used but very old CZ-75 for my collection (although for real use I like having a decocker).